Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Just wondering I shot one yesterday that's been burrowing under my porch. I probably should have done something with it besides toss it over the fence. But I didn't have time to try to clean it and didn't want to leave it around in the heat. It was this years and may have had as much meat as a rabbit but I doubt it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't know about woodchucks but prairie dogs could carry bubonic plague. Therefor we never even touched them much less ate them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was a kid, we tried it. My grandmother was not much of a game cook.. Pretty tough. However in the previous generation, people often ate chucks. Until left my childhood home, I shot chucks each summer and hauled them home and gave them to my neighbors they ate them all. Eating wild game was much more common when I was a kid than now. Probably the last generation that will do that.

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Fine delicacy if cooked right skin it gut it quarter it and throw it in the crock pot about the only way better than beef

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
The hide makes good banjo strings

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have, but ain’t especially looking to repeat the experience. The hide is very tough, the meat as I recall similar to pork or chicken thighs.

Will re-evaluate if (when) everything goes to Hell.

The OP’s would probably have been as good as they get.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/13/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have, but ain’t especially looking to repeat the experience. The hide is very tough, the meat as I recall similar to pork or chicken thighs.

The way this world is going you may find it on your plate sooner than you think

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Grandma told me that during the Great Depression, her father shot raccoons and woodchucks and cooked them. Deer were poached beyond belief during that time and seldom seen

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My wife can cook a mean ground hog for “select” people’s I’ve killed and ate for the “select” but have not reached the grand almighty point where it’s been passed to my home plate

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soaked in salt water awhile, par boiled, fried.
It's food. There's better.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Young of the year woodchuck is good. I've eaten a good many. Woodchuck liver is excellent. Much better than calf, beef or deer liver.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve ate several. Hard to find one young enough to fry. Like someone said maybe parboil it. We used to just cook them like a roast. An old hunter friend of mine that done a lot of cooking and eating wild meat would take a big roaster pan and put a ground hog a pound of bacon and some cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth and bake it till tender and that was some fine eating. That bacon have it a great flavor and added some needed fat to the mix.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one tunneling under my barn that I need to ambush. Never tried eating any groundhog. I guess I could try it once. Free cat food if I don't like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The way this world is going you may find it on your plate sooner than you think

I have a yard full of rabbits and squirrels I’ve been fattening up with sunflower seeds, corn, and dropped fruit. They think I'm their friend. Come SHTF- 😋

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by earlybrd
The hide makes good banjo strings

Have heard of using groundhog and cat skins for Banjo heads but not strings. In damp weather you would never keep it in tune.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've eaten ground woodchuck, an 80/20 mix of 'chuck meat and beef fat. It tasted about like any ground wild game meat that I've eaten after it had been mixed with beef fat and cooked on a grill. It would probably make good chili filler meat too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grandparents ate it often and always said it was the younger ones they used - I have yet to try one but do intend to do so when the “right” circumstances arise (i.e. have a way to cool it down and keep it cool once shot)…..can’t imagine they’d be “bad” considering their diet and no bubonic plague to worry about with them.

PennDog

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Young of the year woodchuck is good. I've eaten a good many. Woodchuck liver is excellent. Much better than calf, beef or deer liver.

Tried liver too, gave it to some under teenage kids and they all loved it! Can't remember how I cooked it as it was about 55 yrs. ago.

Hip

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Around the end of June the young of the year would be just big enough. Used to par boil then BBQ, ground up the bigger ones and use for spagetti sauce. With the small farms dissapearing, and the coyotes moved in don't see many anymore. I would crockpot now. Check under the armpits for little glands that look like a corn kernel and cut them off.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Groundhog makes good BBQ. Several of us killed several groundhogs and took them to my neighbor, who fixed it for the July 4th neighborhood get together. We never told anybody it was groundhog, so they ate it and liked it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

593 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 22250rem, 61 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.