Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Getting the spare on no problem. The trailer wheel fender that was bent to hell by the steel belt was a bit trickier. A 2lb hammer moved it clear for the spare to spin freely. Nice way to spend an hour on the interstate in 90 degree weather.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I disagree. Any down time spent on the freeway is not nice at all. 🤨

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Goodyear Marathons were known to do that. I lost a few fenders with them. I now replace trailer tires every 5 years regardless of mileage. That one looks old. Consider yourself fortunate.

I suggest you replace with 65 psi, 85 mph rated Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail, or Maxxis 8008.

Last edited by Stammster; 08/13/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s a car sitting up there road over 3 weeks now.
Evidently the L/F tire blew, and took out the headlight and part of the fender.
Something to think about when you’re in the market for wheels.
I wouldn’t have considered it before, but from now on it will effect my decisions on buying cars.
Too much fiberglass, not to mention it’s hard for a shade tee guy like myself to maintain and fix stuff without major headaches.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just put in 8,000 miles on the road.

I saw maybe three flat tires on vehicles, maybe twice that many on trailers of various sorts (utility, boats, toy haulers, campers etc.)

A big difference considering how relatively few trailers there are compared to motor vehicles.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of those lithium 1/2" impact woulda been nice. Not necessary, but nice.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Downside of trailer tires. You run of of time before you run out of miles. For me at least. My utility trailer tires are around 5 years old. I’ll be replacing soon, even tho total mileage is low and they still look good.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Try running anywhere from 24 to 36 tires on the ground on just the trailer hauling 80,000 to 145,000 lb change all them on the road boys your problems are little

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider the size of most small trailer wheels and tires compared to the one on the tow vehicle! The smaller they are, the more revolutions they gotta make! Especially considering the big tires and highway speeds
I’ve often marveled at the RPMs those smaller boat and trailer tires gotta run at interstate speeds.
Something I think most people overlook or fail to consider.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was dragging my little kubota tractor on I-10, had a low tire and a small group of motorcyclist came up. Front rider was tailgating the hell out of the trailer, lined up perfectly with the low tire, me looking in the rear-view mirror. Speed about 60-65, I thought ole boy if that tire blew right now you'd get blasted pretty good.

As soon as that thought went through my head the tire blew, and did just about what TimberRunners tire did. Slung rubber a belt wire all over him/them.

There are hundreds of people killed every year due to wrecks from blown-out old dry rotted tires.
Manufacturers recommend changing tires out at the 5-6 year mark, no matter how low the mileage.

The guy in the movie Fast & Furious who was killed along with his friend, speeding in a 911 Porsche. Car only had 4-5K miles on the tires but several years old.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stammster
Goodyear Marathons were known to do that. I lost a few fenders with them. I now replace trailer tires every 5 years regardless of mileage. That one looks old. Consider yourself fortunate.

I suggest you replace with 65 psi, 85 mph rated Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail, or Maxxis 8008.
Read up on using LT tires for trailers. They have stiff enough sidewalls for trailer use and they last closer to 10 years instead of 5. They cost more but are cheaper in the long run. Keeping them covered when parked helps a lot, too. UV destroys rubber.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I try to get 15-20 yrs out of trailer tire

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord

You be standing out on long lonesome road sayin , I wush id'da went to the walmarks got me a new tarr, renegade help-a-ni'a'out

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Goodyear Endurance. Air to max psi on sidewalk. Keep covered when parked. Change at 5 years old. Trailer tire problems will largely go away with the above as guidance.

Last edited by K1500; 08/13/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They sure will tear up the fiberglass fenders on a duelly...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by slumlord

That's all?

Date codes on tires means nothing as long as you keep your speed under 8 mph.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I was dragging my little kubota tractor on I-10, had a low tire and a small group of motorcyclist came up. Front rider was tailgating the hell out of the trailer, lined up perfectly with the low tire, me looking in the rear-view mirror. Speed about 60-65, I thought ole boy if that tire blew right now you'd get blasted pretty good.

As soon as that thought went through my head the tire blew, and did just about what TimberRunners tire did. Slung rubber a belt wire all over him/them.

There are hundreds of people killed every year due to wrecks from blown-out old dry rotted tires.
Manufacturers recommend changing tires out at the 5-6 year mark, no matter how low the mileage.

The guy in the movie Fast & Furious who was killed along with his friend, speeding in a 911 Porsche. Car only had 4-5K miles on the tires but several years old.

So you were knowingly out on the road with in an
unsafe manner and it was the riders fault for being behind you? JFC

Last edited by jackmountain; 08/14/22.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Stammster

Read up on using LT tires for trailers. They have stiff enough sidewalls for trailer use and they last closer to 10 years instead of 5. They cost more but are cheaper in the long run. Keeping them covered when parked helps a lot, too. UV destroys rubber.

We run 14ply but their on 7ton capacity trailers minimum. Only have one smaller trailer and it gets used minimally.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Different question...

Will you guys run car/truck tires on a trailer?

Example... My trucks run 265/75 R16 123/121 tires. Lug pattern matches 7,200# and 8k# axle lugs and the tires fit in the wheel well just fine.

When the tread is poor from use on the trucks... is it OK to move the whole tire/wheel assembly to a trailer?

Same with 6 lugs to 5k axles?

Same with 5 lug on 3,500# and 1,750#?

Curious to opinions on this practice.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Different question...

Will you guys run car/truck tires on a trailer?

Example... My trucks run 265/75 R16 123/121 tires. Lug pattern matches 7,200# and 8k# axle lugs and the tires fit in the wheel well just fine.

When the tread is poor from use on the trucks... is it OK to move the whole tire/wheel assembly to a trailer?

Same with 6 lugs to 5k axles?

Same with 5 lug on 3,500# and 1,750#?

Curious to opinions on this practice.

If it was too worn for my truck it would be too worn for my trailer if talking about highway use. Farm trailer? Why not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.