Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The reformed .308s are terrific! No bulges, reduced neck sooting and a SIGNIFICANT improvement in accuracy.
But.
My range restricts to three in the weapon. The other range I joined has no such restriction, sooo...
I load round 4. Goes into the mag with some difficulty. 5 is a shoving match. 5 feeds, but 4 tends to lock up the spool. The last 3 are smooth as silk. This doesn't happen with new or resized .300 brass.
I see no obvious issues with the magazine. No debris etc. The cartridges are reformed. 308s, but are full length sized and match .300 brass externally. The o.a.l. with the 150 Hornady spire points is right at 2.6".
Any ideas as to what the cause might be?

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Stick to 300 brass

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just my opinion

M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Around here, .300 Savage rounds are not readily available, expensive when found and rather undersized resulting in nasty bulges when fired.
Case weights vary from Hornady, the lightest at 153 grains to Federal at 168 grains.
Remington brass measures .463 at the web, and when fired .470. Full length sizing doesn't change that. My reformed measure .468 at the web. MUCH better fit and no nasty bulges.
Accuracy also improved. With .300 brass, my 99EG, with aperture sight, was a solid 1 1/2 -1 3/4" for 3 at 100.
With reformed 308s, she now does 3/4 - 1 1/4 for 3 at 100.
Yes, it is a bit of work to make the cases. But the end results do seem to make it worth it.
Making it work is half the fun. The other half is the satisfaction of a good result.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have routinely made my .300's out of .308 brass with zero issues. As for rounds 4 & 5 hanging up I can't begin to imagine what precisely is the issue without dismantling the gun. I would look first at cleanliness and complete disassembly is the only route to that. Rotor spring tension would be something to consider at the same time, as well as confirming that nobody swapped out the rotor in the past with a wrong one, ditto the cartridge guide on the RH side looking down from the top.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd agree with Geoahhh:
I own 2 rifles in 300 Savage. A Remington M81 and a Savage 99. I use reformed machine gun brass in both. I do turn the necks so there is no "thick wall" at the bottom of the necks, where the new 300 SavAGE neck is being made from the top of the old shoulder of the 7.62 NATO brass. This is critical in the Auto.

But I have never had a single problem with either rifle using well made brass.

The body of the shell from head to shoulder of both the 300 Savage and the 308 are effectively identical. So my guess is that something is amiss with the case formed from the 308, but without seeing the gun and ammo I can't say what it would be. But you say using 300 Savage brass it works, so the process of elimination shows something is different in the ammo, not the gun.

Try smoking the shell up to the necks and base of the bullets. When you run them through the action you may then be able to see the rubs, and tell if it's a problem with case forming.

Last edited by szihn; 06/30/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or just put one up the spout and 3 in the magazine. I can't remember the last time I stuffed more than 3 in a rifle magazine when hunting. Seriously, I prefer the surety of reliable feeding that comes from a partially filled magazine over even a hint of unreliable feeding presented by a tightly stuffed magazine. But, I rarely if ever hunt with repeating rifles anymore so it's a moot point even with me.

Unless herds of kamikaze deer are attacking your position, it's a pretty rare instance where a guy needs high volume of fire. In my experience anything past the second shot is probably a Hail Mary shot anyway at a bouncing weaving animal, a shot I personally won't take. Please take this as tongue in cheek - to each his own, and spoken as a guy who believes a single shot rifle is the ultimate in sporting gear.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Muddly
The reformed .308s are terrific! No bulges, reduced neck sooting and a SIGNIFICANT improvement in accuracy.
But.
My range restricts to three in the weapon. The other range I joined has no such restriction, sooo...
I load round 4. Goes into the mag with some difficulty. 5 is a shoving match. 5 feeds, but 4 tends to lock up the spool. The last 3 are smooth as silk. This doesn't happen with new or resized .300 brass.
I see no obvious issues with the magazine. No debris etc. The cartridges are reformed. 308s, but are full length sized and match .300 brass externally. The o.a.l. with the 150 Hornady spire points is right at 2.6".
Any ideas as to what the cause might be?

Have you tried loading the first two rounds made with authentic .300 Savage brass followed by three reformed .308 cartridges? If that combo loading prevents jamming, I would suspect a hard to measure dimensional difference with the reformed .308 brass. Reforming new and/or a few other sources of .308 brass may be illuminating.

M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Found the reason.
O.a.l. MUST be 2.6" or less. Any longer and rounds 4&5 will hang up.
I even tried some loads with .30-30 bullets in the reformed cases. O.a.l. is 2.57 and no issues whatsoever.
Apparently, my 99EG is SUPER length sensitive...

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Try the 130 Barnes. Best 300 savage bullet

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.