Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17504370 08/11/22
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
is the brass from Norma 223 match ammunition that same quality as brass sold for reloading

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It seems to be very consistent yes, but it's not the same production line of brass. I've both the 'reloading' brass and the match ammo with staked in primers. The ammo brass I have is heavier than the stuff sold for reloading. I'm guessing that it's mil-spec brass so it can't be used interchangeably. It does shoot though. Here's a sample from a gasser that I built and was sighting in at 100 yards:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
It seems to be very consistent yes, but it's not the same production line of brass. I've both the 'reloading' brass and the match ammo with staked in primers. The ammo brass I have is heavier than the stuff sold for reloading. I'm guessing that it's mil-spec brass so it can't be used interchangeably. It does shoot though. Here's a sample from a gasser that I built and was sighting in at 100 yards:

when you say staked in do you mean it looked like they used a chisel to make 3 cuts in the primer pockets? this brass I have just looks like a standard military crimp, I got a 5 gallon bucket of this brass but if it's no better than Lake city then I'll just sell it

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here’s what mine looks like:

Empties weigh 104 +/- 0.5 grain including spent primer. TAC 223 ammo.

Drop me a PM if you decide you want to sell that bucket.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 08/11/22.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
the brass I have has a different head stamp. it has Norma 5.56x45. PM me your cell number I'll send you a picture. just got done removing the crimp on the primer pockets and they did have the same crimp as yours in the pucture. there crimp was like you would see on lake city brass

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Why does everybody always miss the dime???

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

You know, the usual answer. "Well, I didn't want to hit exactly where I'm aiming because then my aiming point will disappear"...That sort of thing. I mean horse schidt..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What I'm wondering is why they stake the primers in like that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Seafire

It's the glare from the dime that causes it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You know, the usual answer. "Well, I didn't want to hit exactly where I'm aiming because then my aiming point will disappear"...That sort of thing. I mean horse schidt.

Suppose I'm testing loads for a 30 cal rifle topped with a 16x scope with a fine reticle using a 1/4" dot target. Will the aiming point not degrade as 1/3" holes start falling on and around it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
You know, the usual answer. "Well, I didn't want to hit exactly where I'm aiming because then my aiming point will disappear"...That sort of thing. I mean horse schidt.

Suppose I'm testing loads for a 30 cal rifle topped with a 16x scope with a fine reticle using a 1/4" dot target. Will the aiming point not degrade as 1/3" holes start falling on and around it?

Yes mathman. The aiming point will degrade. It does make sense, but usually when guys give this excuse they are 6" to the left and 3" high sort of thing. It is nice to keep your aiming point in tact, for sure... I've screwed myself before and the group has opened up because of this degradation....

I like aiming for the small 1/4" diamond on the orange, not just the orang dot. Now, I screwed up the other day when I dialed in my scope with a new barrel on one of my AR's. I shot a nice 10 shot group to the left edge of the orange dot to maintain the aiming point, then when shooting at 400, I was off 1/2 moa. Just something to be aware of:

Now where's that shot going to be if you are 6" to the left and 3" high at 100 yards?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, I don't test them "way over there" either.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Geez the dime is there to cover the flyers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Yes mathman. The aiming point will degrade. It does make sense, but usually when guys give this excuse they are 6" to the left and 3" high sort of thing. It is nice to keep your aiming point in tact, for sure... I've screwed myself before and the group has opened up because of this degradation....

I like aiming for the small 1/4" diamond on the orange, not just the orang dot. Now, I screwed up the other day when I dialed in my scope with a new barrel on one of my AR's. I shot a nice 10 shot group to the left edge of the orange dot to maintain the aiming point, then when shooting at 400, I was off 1/2 moa. Just something to be aware of:

Now where's that shot going to be if you are 6" to the left and 3" high at 100 yards?

Idaho....and in the dirt....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Geez the dime is there to cover the flyers.

LOL. Vadered

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the “Official” benchrest targets with the open squares and also an open bullseye with rings. Since my hunting rifles are generally sighted a bit high, the aiming point stays pristine. I find the squares work best for my eyes, easy to center on.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/14/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When experimenting during the search for "best load", I don't give a rat's patoot where the groups fall. After final selection of the best load recipe then I'll finagle the sights/scope to the POI I want.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Regarding Norma cartridges with staked primers, was/is that stuff made for military contracts or simply as a sop to AR-15 usage? Has Norma ever supplied domestic or NATO military needs? Dunno, never thought about it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Regarding Norma cartridges with staked primers, was/is that stuff made for military contracts or simply as a sop to AR-15 usage? Has Norma ever supplied domestic or NATO military needs? Dunno, never thought about it.

They are kind of weird. I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering if the staked in primers are hard to pop out of the case? The staking looks like it would be easier to deal with than a full crimp. Interesting approach by Norma.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing unusual about those crimps, although I think point-crimping like that tends to be more Euro than American practice. But they should deprime just peachy and chamfer out nice. Whoever ends up with those cases will almost certainly enjoy them a long time.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
All Norma cases are terrible junk. Save you life and send them to me so I can add them to the 1000s I have to keep them out of the hands of the innocent.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
806 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.