Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes...great video...Stan- I wasn't ready for 60# trad when in my 20's!

GB1

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you. I turned my compound down to 50 last year, I'd laid off archery for 10 yrs or so. Rebuilding muscles now and this trad stuff is different.

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't worry too much about poundage Stan. This bow is about 40-41 at my draw. Bear razor went top to bottom and came out under the armpit.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh and BTW - welcome to the dark side. {grin}

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome, enjoy the journey.

I have been "hooked" on trad for going on 30 years now. I like it all, primitive to modern.

Arcus Venator
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot to be done for me to improve, working on draw and release, building arrows, tuning, etc. Loving all of it. I much prefer the older traditional bows over the ILF platform but that could change due to convenience of ILF.

bbassi, getting close makes it real doesn't it?

All American

All the time
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
It sure does. I call it putting the bow back into bowhunting. I don't have any issue with modern bows or even crossbows for that matter, but they just don't speak to me like a traditional bow does.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never gotten into ILF systems, my most modern set up is a hybrid with carbon limbs. grin

Getting close is what it is all about!

Bowhunting-how close you can get before you shoot.
Archery- how far you can be from your target and still hit it.

My closest shot on deer is three yards, give or take a foot or so.
I was able to touch an elk last fall while helping a friend with his tag.

Arcus Venator
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a yearling doe within 5 yds of me last year and thought I had arrived. grin She never knew I was there.

All American

All the time
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, really cool experience to be that close and undetected.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M

My current setup before and after the snakeskin backing. Just finished that a few weeks ago.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
at my age of 69 years now we also never heard the name traditional because i only had an old long bow at 8 years old , got a Ben Pearson recurve bow when i was 12 thought i really had something special , then in 1973 i got a Allen compound bow , and few years later i guess that is when we found out about the words traditional bows . and now its a bigger deal for traditional archers for many and i wish them great joy ! my shoulders and back are now worn out so i try to use a x-bow some .if i was healthy yet i would use my newer recurve bow again. so good luck too Traditional archers this fall and as a old bowhunter told me always shoot to kill , Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 72 and if lucky I can keep trucking. But I don't plan on drawing 50# nor do I need that much for whitetails up close. Limiting myself to 20 yds and under. 25 for pigs.

Keeps me in the woods with grand kids and they learn early about traditional bows.

All American

All the time
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i don`t think age always means you can still draw a bow and shoot well ,kinda depends on the job or jobs you did in your life time or accidents. my job for 35 years was hard dangerous work i climb poles and worked on high voltages those years sometimes many hours , in my lifetime we had very few bucket trucks ever ,many times we carried everything out to our work area then climbed poles in all weather conditions in northern Minnesota day and night. we never had regular family times some Easters or Christmas`s were with storm conditions snow ,cold ,rain ,heat ,wind whatever ,swamps ,hills and huge woods places no way could you ever get a vehicle in there it was all hand ,muscle ,leg ,arms ,,shoulders work which ruins a body over many years of hard work most people have never done.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pete53
i don`t think age always means you can still draw a bow and shoot well ,kinda depends on the job or jobs you did in your life time or accidents. my job for 35 years was hard dangerous work i climb poles and worked on high voltages those years sometimes many hours , in my lifetime we had very few bucket trucks ever ,many times we carried everything out to our work area then climbed poles in all weather conditions in northern Minnesota day and night. we never had regular family times some Easters or Christmas`s were with storm conditions snow ,cold ,rain ,heat ,wind whatever ,swamps ,hills and huge woods places no way could you ever get a vehicle in there it was all hand ,muscle ,leg ,arms ,,shoulders work which ruins a body over many years of hard work most people have never done.

Sounds like you picked the wrong job.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Region6
Originally Posted by pete53

Sounds like you picked the wrong job.

being a lineman pays very well and my babies needed milk and a new pair of shoes so i worked hard all my life so my family would have a much better life, daughter is a doctor , son is an engineer . normal white kids get no help from the government if parents work for a living and stay together.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting with bows for 50 years.

I don't think there was any obsession or anything like that. It was just cheap, fun and offered additional opportunities.

I still shoot a longbow, but have a compound too.

I tell people that I carry my longbow when I want to HUNT, my compound when I want to eat.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I still love the challenge bow hunting gives and it allows me to better scout out the woods I'm hunting. In these thickets it's easy to pass up lanes that are perfect for bow hunting close.

All American

All the time
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have bowhunted since 1986. I bought a recurve around 1990 just to plink around with, never got serious with it until now.

I purchased a longbow in March and then I ordered a custom longbow that should be here in the middle of the month. I don’t see me ever going back to compounds.

Lonster

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use both the compound and recurve. Picked up a Bob Lee from the classifieds 3 years ago. It’s become my favorite whitetail weapon. Put her to work this past Monday.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot my first deer, with a bow, back in 85.
Have owned dozens of compounds and dozens of recurves.
Got my first Blackwidow built in 87.
Got my 4th build this yr. Last one for me.
Still got my metal riser HS too.
3rd one of that model, all bought used.

Prefer recurve but w shoulder snd spine issues ( now wrist ) I might have tk use wheels. Got a Hoyt Torrex last yr for backup.

Got a pack of the new Bear razorheads w screw in ferrules of diff weights to try. Looks like 3R and Lancaster sold out but a shop near me has a few packs left.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.