Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Brad, was that mtn picture on beacon and the creek, the 3rd bridge down the south fork?

I need two poles for 4 wheel drive.

You don't look much over 40.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll throw in here. I bought one of those LanShan China tents to try out. It's just OK. About 2.5 pounds without the poles. Bathtub floor and good rain fly. plenty of room for 1 plus pack/gear in the 2 man. I was looking for something to replace my 6 lb freestanding Ureka. If it wasn't for the bugs here in the east I'd probably go with a floorless. It works and I spend a couple crappy, rainy nights in it without issue but overall it's just meh.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Henry makes pretty darn good shelters smile

I would agree. I've been following his tent designs for several years but only recently purchased one (two I guess). It seems like there's a lot of thought put into the designs and he only makes changes when needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi
I'll throw in here. I bought one of those LanShan China tents to try out. It's just OK. About 2.5 pounds without the poles. Bathtub floor and good rain fly. plenty of room for 1 plus pack/gear in the 2 man. I was looking for something to replace my 6 lb freestanding Ureka. If it wasn't for the bugs here in the east I'd probably go with a floorless. It works and I spend a couple crappy, rainy nights in it without issue but overall it's just meh.

Seems like a decent value given the low prices I see for those.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Henry makes pretty darn good shelters smile

I would agree. I've been following his tent designs for several years but only recently purchased one (two I guess). It seems like there's a lot of thought put into the designs and he only makes changes when needed.

On my recent trip into the Sierra’s, a buddy was using a Moment- had never seen one in person, very solid shelter. Yeah he knows what he’s doing laugh

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Brad, was that mtn picture on beacon and the creek, the 3rd bridge down the south fork?

I need two poles for 4 wheel drive.

You don't look much over 40.

Hi Kurt - Beacon is exactly right, bridge is #2.

I totally get two poles, and in some situations (like packing out meat) I use them.

As to not looking much over 40 - you're kind smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Brad,

I had forgotten you use a Cane, is it an ultralite piece?

Mike, it's a Komperdell Power Walk "Walking Staff" (cane) - weigh's 8.5 oz's.

Here's a GREAT deal on them - sign up for text notifications and receive an additional 10% off for a total of $39.14 shipped:

https://www.mountainsteals.com/prod...81YdjmEpYQMk0H6j1rlh0fLVckIaAtLBEALw_wcB

Brad-
Thanks for the 411 on the walking staff – I ordered one for my father.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Brad-

I suddenly feel old grin

Happy to help!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad-

I suddenly feel old grin

Happy to help!

LOL.
Ya know, after I hit the reply button, I wondered if that might get construed the wrong way.
If I lived in your locale and trekked the stuff you do on a regular basis, I'd be using same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL.
Ya know, after I hit the reply button, I wondered if that might get construed the wrong way.

Not at all - gave me a good chuckle!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I count the bridge at the trailhead.. 🙂

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I count the bridge at the trailhead.. 🙂

Ah - forgot about that. So yes, #3!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use a tent that can use trekking poles, I use a bivy style that has a couple of hoops.

Now that we are discussing poles and canes, I have poles in my truck and/or base camp to assist in hauling wild game and supplies. They can be a nuisance in heavy brush and timber, though. They are also put in play while snowshoeing.

I used poles in the open country while hunting Mountain Goats in the Chugach Mountains the first time. The second time, I took advice from a hunting partner and used Stoney Point Polecat shooting sticks for needed stability. Sturdy, lightweight (11 oz.) and versatile. Steady rifle rest and place binoculars or spotting scope on top for extended periods of glassing.

In the hilly terrain of Southwest Wisconsin where I hunt Whitetails most of the time it requires both hands to pull yourself up hill and hang on going down hill.

After a minor accident in the woods, I used a cane to get around for awhile and I milked the sympathy aspect of it with my wife for as long as I could and noticed out in public, people would give you that sympathy/kindness look. I get a little longer in the tooth, I just may take up a cane again. laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Brad - I’ve never seen such a cane. Very interesting! I may order one to try. Your emphasis on the importance of a third point of contact really got me thinking.

Great post!

Pints, I never go anywhere in the backcountry without my cane! Us over-60 guys need all the help we can get grin

It must be something about the handle design and use. I've seen you post this a couple of times and my first thought was, "I can make a trekking pole the shorter length to use as a cane....". Can you elaborate or shed a better light on that Brad?

As to the subject matter of the topic, I've used multiple shelters for which one can substitute a trekking pole; but, I always prefer the dedicated separate pole. My exception to that would be if I know I was popping smoke every day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
It must be something about the handle design and use. I've seen you post this a couple of times and my first thought was, "I can make a trekking pole the shorter length to use as a cane....". Can you elaborate or shed a better light on that Brad?

Pretty simple really - set your trekking pole at 90 cm and try to use it like a cane. Go for a 10 mile walk. You won't enjoy the experience because your hand and wrist will be tortured into a vertical position. A cane allows the hand and wrist to remain in a horizontal and more comfortable position just like an ice axe. Apart from the obvious pick and adze, ever wonder why a walking ice axe is essentially shaped like a cane? You carry it by the head just like you would a cane. Far more comfortable and stable than the vertical design of a shortened trekking pole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It must be something about the handle design and use.
Thanks. My ability to grasp the obvious is my strongest trait.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It must be something about the handle design and use.
Thanks. My ability to grasp the obvious is my strongest trait.

LOL, no worries mate - that sounds like me!

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Looks like SMC still makes a long ice axe for walking-axe or cane-type usage plus cathole digging, camp leveling, step chopping and snotgrass arresting.

https://smcgear.com/kobah-ice-axe-100cm.html

I rounded the adze and shortened the pick on mine to make it generally less grabby. Good tool. I'd buy a 105cm if they made one, but the 100cm works well in the uphill hand.

People get pretty bent out of shape about the longer than usual axe...normal ice axe sizing has a person crossing a steep snowfield with the axe in the uphill hand. Apparently they're not OK with using a longer one for a cane, walking assist or 3rd point of contact on rough but less steep ground.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.