Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I agree with what has been said above.I use a bolt without a scope knowing that I am at a disadvantage.I just find it more of a challenge.Aside from leopard I shot all of the game I hunted in Africa without a scope.As for which is more reliable and accurate-a bolt or a double, based on the experience I had with two doubles I would say a bolt.I know where my bolt will put its shots without question.I can't say the same for my doubles.It could be that I do not own a good double-one that is accurate and stays accurate(and regulated).I don't trust what I read about other peoples experience with doubles because they are conflicting and no-one wants to offend the people that sell them who hangout on hunting forums.It also seems that no-one owns a rifle that doesn't shoot well.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Biebs
Puddle, good point. An elephant is a very close range, heavy caliber quarry. A scoped bolt rifle is the way to go for everything else. You never know what opportunities might present themselves.

This ^

Remember that, despite all our African fantasies, most of us are trained and practiced with scoped bolt action rifles so those are most likely to be effective for most of us for the first shot. Except for elephant, IME bolt actions are the clear choice. And for ele, a large caliber iron sighted bolt is a very close contender. Experience of the rifleman is more important than type of rifle.

A more important issue than the choice of a double or bolt is the question of becoming very adept with iron sights and repetitive effective follow up shots. When the shooting starts at DG things tend to develop very rapidly so follow up shots are very likely to be the deciding factor between an animal on the ground quickly and in view or a tough follow up situation.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
over 20 some years in the lower 48 i have hunter only with Ruger #1`s , my handloads or a bow and arrow i really see no reason for more than 1 shot except maybe for elephants . grow up that`s all i ever owned is a single shot so i was taught and learned make the 1st shot count i think PH`s would appreciate that seeing that used #1 pulled out of a case too by a hunter with experience . i plan on or hope to be going in 2023 to Africa and probably will just take a old Ruger #1 in a 30-06 with a small scope on the #1 also mostly because of my poor eyesight at 69 years old.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One shot kills are always our goal. However, with large DG it’s not always feasible, even with very powerful rifles. If the initial shot happens in dense enough concealment, as is the usual case with elephant and often with Cape buffalo, follow up shots are to be expected and something hunters need to be ready for every time.

The PHs I hunt with would not be very pleased if the hunter pulled out a single loader. In fact, in the case of elephant, that hunter can expect that he will usually be followed up by the PH’s 458 Win Mag or 500 NE. The effect of a shot on large DG, even from an adequately powerful DGR, is often not immediately apparent before they disappear from sight, unless a brain or spinal cord shot hits. So the rule is a hunter following up quickly with another shot, if possible, or the PH following up, or both. PG is a somewhat different story, but follow ups til their down to stay is still the rule.

We American hunters are enthralled with one-shot kills and not well conditioned to additional rapid follow ups until the DG animal is down to stay. This takes a lot of practice because we fight how we train.

A hard earned lesson on my part. Although I like my #1s, and they include adequate DG cartridge chamberings, I don’t consider packing them when DG is the target. Just my experience YMMV based on yours.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The two Alaskan moose I killed with my Chapuis double were the most memorable and satisfying moose kills I ever experienced. Just carrying a double while hunting takes you back 100 years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The two Alaskan moose I killed with my Chapuis double were the most memorable and satisfying moose kills I ever experienced. Just carrying a double while hunting takes you back 100 years.

It doesn’t get more classical than that!!

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My choice is a scoped bolt action rifle. On a Cape Buffalo hunt in Tanzania, I carried my Ruger Safari Magnum in 458 Lott. I came up on a couple of nice bulls at 20 yards. I put a 500 grain bullet through the first one's heart and followed up with a second shot also at the heart. The buffalo called out and another bull came to his aid. I put two good hits in him and quickly reloaded while watching them. I put two more in the first bull and he went down.

The second bull however, took two more hits and charged. He was pumped with adrenaline. I quickly loaded four more rounds in my rifle and proceeded to get all four in the charging bull. At that point he went down. I then put "insurance shots" in each while they were down. I'm not sure how things would have played out if I was carrying a double but, It didn't take me long to empty my bolt action on each one of them.
Here's a link to the second buffalo.-

https://i.imgur.com/sO9z8kt.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neither!

One of my rifles went on a bullet testing hunt in two southern African countries, but I stayed home to run a rapidly growing company.
The chosen hunter was VERY experienced with 1886 big bores and Africa. He took an ele at 20 yards with a frontal brain hot - one shot and down - drt.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
This typical 1886 in 45-90 pushed a 450 grain .458 North Fork solid at a mv of 2150 fps through the ele brain and head and on into the body, killing the ele instantly - as in "hit the ground dead". There was no scope and no second shot needed. The same gun and ammo shot through and killed several Cape Buff. No scope or second shot needed.
Also took a BIG Leopard as it ate a farmers goat. That with a Nosler 300 grain PP at 2200 fps MV.

I did finally get to hunt buff in Limpopo Province with my 1895 .405 WCF. DG PH put me just 25 yards behind the chosen buff and I put a 400 grain Woodie "soft" through the heart and out between the front legs (as directed by PH). Buff walked towards cover, so I put a 400 grain Woodie solid through the pelvis and dropped it hard.
Again, no scope needed, just a peep sight and careful planning of the second shot.

Last edited by crshelton; 08/18/22.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
with maybe the exception of an elephant, i could just use my old lever Winchester 71 348 . but to be honest a 300 WIN. MAG would work just fine for me in my Ruger #1 for all except a elephant. i have in the past killed a large bull bison , a huge bull elk that scored 376 B.C. and a mountain lion with one shot kills with my bow and arrow so i see no reason i need anything bigger than a 300 Win.mag.. also remember Mr. Bell killed many 100`s 0f elephants with a 7x57 mauser cartridge one shot kills.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Pete please post a pic of any of these critters you killed.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by swiftshot
What would you rather hunt DG with if money was not an issue and why?

Double rifle is my choice.

Why? You have to get closer, it is a little more difficult with a double, I also like the nostalgia.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by pete53
with maybe the exception of an elephant, i could just use my old lever Winchester 71 348 . but to be honest a 300 WIN. MAG would work just fine for me in my Ruger #1 for all except a elephant. i have in the past killed a large bull bison , a huge bull elk that scored 376 B.C. and a mountain lion with one shot kills with my bow and arrow so i see no reason i need anything bigger than a 300 Win.mag.. also remember Mr. Bell killed many 100`s 0f elephants with a 7x57 mauser cartridge one shot kills.

Spoken like someone who’s never hunted buffalo.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Bolt action

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Bolt action

458Lott?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.460 Wby
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.450 Howell

.404 Jeffery

I also have 3-.375 H&H's and a .375 RUM to chose for DG.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I typically find doubles slower than bolt actions.
As I keep fumbling to find the bolt handle on doubles. 😜

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
.460 Wby

.450 Howell

.404 Jeffery

Good Lord, man!

Did you have backup??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by swiftshot
Bolt action

458Lott?
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-458-lott-a-dedicated-cartridge-for-dangerous-game/

In 2002, Hornady and Ruger teamed up to legitimize Jacque P. Lott’s wildcat cartridge—one that delivers more velocity, energy (and recoil) than the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Jacque Lott was badly mauled by a cape buffalo he had shot with his 458 WinMag. After recovering from his injuries, he set about designing a more potent cartridge that would be more effective on dangerous game - hence the 458 Lott. The early 458 WinMag loads did not live up to the advertised performance due to a combination of African heat and compressed powder in the shorter case. Later, Winchester successfully addressed the problem with improved powders.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by k22hornet
.460 Wby

.450 Howell

.404 Jeffery

Good Lord, man!

Did you have backup??

Hahaha!!!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by k22hornet
.460 Wby

.450 Howell

.404 Jeffery

Good Lord, man!

Did you have backup??
😁

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.