Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Region6
Pete please post a pic of any of these critters you killed.

no and i don`t need to prove anything so don`t believe me that i killed anything heck i don`t even own a rifle . post whatever , some people have seen private pictures of some animals , i have no horn scores in any books either , i might shoot a fawn deer only every 10 years at 50 yards with a borrowed rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 458Win
I typically find doubles slower than bolt actions.
As I keep fumbling to find the bolt handle on doubles. 😜

laugh laugh laugh cool

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
that AR 458 is one heck of a rifle , the more i shoot AR`s the more i respect that kind of rifle , if only somehow someone put a wood laminated stock and forearm on a AR ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
How about both

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A double if for no other reason than money was no object. I could invest a fortune in a single arm.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
For dangerous game up close it would be a double hands down. Anything else and the Bolt gun would be the ticket. Nothing is faster for two shots than the double. Never been to Africa and don't plan to go , too hot and too damned many Africans. Big Bears in cold country would be my choice of dangerous game.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 08/20/22.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes two shots, even if well placed, are not enough.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
Sometimes two shots, even if well placed, are not enough.

Yes that's the thing, and that's when the PH needs to step in if this is from a double. I was wondering when this intervention is needed when a 4 shot bolt gun is not going to plan. I guess it depends on what the animal is doing and how far away it is.

I've got a video of a cape buff getting 2 shots to the body from a double then 2 to the head from another double as it was charging. The first head shot didn't hit anything useful but the second made it stop in it's tracks with blood fountaining out it's nose. It still took an additional shot to put the animal down off it's feet.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Have never hunted DG but if I were headed to Africa for that purpose it would be a custom 98 Mauser in .404 Jefferey. I'd spend a bunch of cash on cases and components and practice, practice, and practice some more.

β€œSome ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
doubles are faster when it counts

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
George, was that what you used to shoot the cow buffalo you were told not to shoot in Zimbabwe? I can’t recall from watching your video. I do recall that your PH was not too happy about your shooting a cow instead of the bull y’all were tracking.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Have never hunted DG but if I were headed to Africa for that purpose it would be a custom 98 Mauser in .404 Jefferey. I'd spend a bunch of cash on cases and components and practice, practice, and practice some more.

You would be well armed for anything, up to and including elephant. Choose the right 400 grain bullet - soft or solid - for the DG you’re hunting, launch it at 2450-2500 fps, practice plenty with a rifle that fits you well and you’ll bring home the bacon.

The 404 Jeffery and cartridges that duplicate its ballistic performance in reliable DGRs are the best 1-gun DG battery in Southern Africa, IMHO.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used both. I used to have a William Evans double made in 1896 that was chambered in 450/400 3 1/4 inch Nitro Express. It was fun to carry and had a butt load of nostalgia on safari but my 375 H&H is a lot more accurate, better for longer shots and a lot easier to shoot a lot. The only source I had for factory shells was Kynoch and they sold them in 5 packs for $55 a pack. I got dies and handloaded them but I could load for my 375 a whole lot cheaper than I could load for the double.

In a fit of extreme idiocy I sold my double. Sure wish I still had it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jdollar
George, was that what you used to shoot the cow buffalo you were told not to shoot in Zimbabwe? I can’t recall from watching your video. I do recall that your PH was not too happy about your shooting a cow instead of the bull y’all were tracking.

Are you the jdollar who once fainted when he saw an elephant up close and had to have his fat foreign PH doctor resuscitate him.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/21/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I was wondering if swiftshot was shootaway. I guess the last post confirms my suspicion.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I was wondering if swiftshot was shootaway. I guess the last post confirms my suspicion.

Yep, that’s him. Remember how proud he was when he posted the video of him shooting the cow on AR? IIRC his PH said β€œcome George, finish off the cow you shot”. He was so proud, even though the video clearly captures his PH telling him not to shoot….

Last edited by jdollar; 08/22/22.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I am sure a double is faster when it really counts but i really want to shoot an elephant with my AHR 458 Lott, has a red dot sight and is really fast on the target, since i have been shooting bolt gun's my whole life i can shuck them through pretty fast and it's not as heavy as a big ole double, would be easier to carry all day. I would bend the front trigger on a double trying to pull it again, shot o/u shotgun's with single trigger, would take a lot of time on the range rattling my brain to get over that.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by neckdeep
I am sure a double is faster when it really counts but i really want to shoot an elephant with my AHR 458 Lott, has a red dot sight and is really fast on the target, since i have been shooting bolt gun's my whole life i can shuck them through pretty fast and it's not as heavy as a big ole double, would be easier to carry all day. I would bend the front trigger on a double trying to pull it again, shot o/u shotgun's with single trigger, would take a lot of time on the range rattling my brain to get over that.

Same here.Looking back on my hunts I now feel differently and prefer my trusted bolt rifle unless my double is shooting as good and the confidence is there.I am just about to send my 450NE off to the states for re-regulation to finally fix it.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/26/22.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
if im counting correctly that was 13 shots total. Was your PH with you shooting also?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,514 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.