Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Butch Searcy makes a box lock double for about $15k. And Heym makes good doubles, but I think they cost around $25k new. Used rifles can be a bit cheaper.

So it's at least the cost of a plains game hunt. But if you can afford it, why not?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I did my leopard and lion with a bolt. Ele with a double- actually that entire safari in addition to the ele with the double: buff, kudu, impala, wildebeest and bushbuck. Just got back from doing a buff & PG with a bow.

All I can say is that the closer you get to game, the more exciting and rewarding the hunt. I like hunting, I don't gauge a hunt by what is in the salt, so the notion of needing a scoped rifle to ensure a "successful" hunt is foreign to me. Not a small dick SCI type.....

I'm not going back to Africa again with a scoped bolt rifle. Been there, done that rather boring after having done it with a double and a bow.

This most recent hunt we saw 45 dugga boys in 36 hrs, could have shot a boatload with my double if I wanted, but getting to under 20 y on several stalks is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I've decided to pretty much just hunt buff with a bow til I can't do it any longer. I'll shoot a deer or two for my dogs, but not (over)paying to hunt in NA ever again with a rifle. Next year Zambia for hippo, croc & buff with a bow.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 11/07/22.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Elephants up close, in the herd, with bolt or double is as real as it gets. As long as God allows me enough health and energy, I’ll see this as the ultimate hunt.

A game of strategy with real consequences and rewards both for the hunter and the eles.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Butch Searcy makes a box lock double for about $15k. And Heym makes good doubles, but I think they cost around $25k new. Used rifles can be a bit cheaper.

So it's at least the cost of a plains game hunt. But if you can afford it, why not?
Verney Carrons are also a great value. Full disclosure, that is what I own.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the thread as a whole "Et tu, Brute"

Jeez, an interesting thread topic for someone like me who will never be able to afford a double rifle or a trip to Africa and it too goes sideways three different times because someone has always got to out-ahole someone else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No love for single shots?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Scoped rifle in a 9.3x62 or 375 H&H.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RinB

First two buffalo I hunted were with a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rem.

I also shot a leopard with a No. 1 in 300 Win. Mag.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

None, zero, nada, zilch. BTDT, same with lever actions.

I am bolt action trash. I will stay in my lane so to speak. Not even going to bring in the money spent to get to this point. grin

If I feel the need to use open sights, I will just pull the scope off.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Single shots are fine- until you need 2 shots in a charge….

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jdollar

Single shots are fine- until you need 2 shots in a charge….

Charges never happen, wait Mike Fell may disagree right now.

After my first hunt I always carried a double hunting DG, a tracker carried a 375 bolt gun which was used from time to time. On my fourth safari I hunted leopard with Shaun Buffee. We had one on bait, good daylight, and I put a good shot through it with a No 1. The cat fell off the branch but hung on to the bait, its jaws were clinched shut. Shaun yells shoot it again. My spare bullet is in my shirt pocket because after all you never get a second shot at a leopard. After a good impersonation of Barney Fife and the exhibiting the reloading skills of a spastic monkey, the leopard fell without receiving another shot. Thankfully it was dead at the bottom of the tree.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What price range do decent doubles start at? I know the skies the limit but I've never paid much attention to doubles. The only big 5 animal I've ever wanted to hunt was Buffalo. I had a chance to go a few years ago and hunt one near the borders of Kruger for a good price but health issues prevented it.

I've since lost about 70 pounds and have a deal with the wife that if I lose 40 more over the next few months then I can go get my Buffalo.

I've been watching for a stainless 20" ruger in 416 ruger but there's not any around lately. I have my 23" ruger African in 375 ruger that served me well for plains game in 2008 so I may just use it if it comes down to it. I'll just have to find some 270g tsx bullets for it.

A buff hunt could be an excuse to get my first double rifle. That is if there's such a thing as a good double in the 4 figure range. I once heard someone did conversions on Browning bss shotguns that were decent and not crazy expensive.

Bb

I was in camp once with someone who's hunted Africa more times than the fingers on both hands. We got to chatting about 450/400 3" NE - mine a #1, his a very nice Chapuis double.
We both are the same height and build and he generously offered to let me fire 2 rounds through his double. I wasn't going to pass that up.

They're not kidding when they say if the rifle is fitted to you it's a joy to shoot. ~10 1/2 lbs weight, and lovely balance between the hands.

I waited until I got back to find out what they cost new and was a bit surprised to find ~$12,000. I expected one to cost more.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve only used a double once and it was a shotgun on a leopard hunt with dogs in Botswana on a leopard hunt. A close range charge on such hunts is almost guaranteed. The leopard was bayed up in a patch of really thick blackthorn. As soon as we arrived the leopard came. My first shot was about 15-20 yards and the thick bush ensured it did nothing. By the time the gun came down out of recoil, the leopard was airborne about 10’ away and the second barrel caught In midair. Tumbled and landed at my feet. Without a second shot, I would have been screwed. There’s a good reason a lot of DG PH’s use a double…… Mine uses a Verney Carron .577 NE. Single shot?. No thanks.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I’ve only used a double once and it was a shotgun on a leopard hunt with dogs in Botswana on a leopard hunt. A close range charge on such hunts is almost guaranteed. The leopard was bayed up in a patch of really thick blackthorn. As soon as we arrived the leopard came. My first shot was about 15-20 yards and the thick bush ensured it did nothing. By the time the gun came down out of recoil, the leopard was airborne about 10’ away and the second barrel caught In midair. Tumbled and landed at my feet. Without a second shot, I would have been screwed. There’s a good reason a lot of DG PH’s use a double…… Mine uses a Verney Carron .577 NE. Single shot?. No thanks.

When did you dream that story up?

Last edited by swiftshot; 11/13/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
George, if you keep that up Jerry is not going to invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I agree with what has been said above.I use a bolt without a scope knowing that I am at a disadvantage.I just find it more of a challenge.Aside from leopard I shot all of the game I hunted in Africa without a scope.As for which is more reliable and accurate-a bolt or a double, based on the experience I had with two doubles I would say a bolt.I know where my bolt will put its shots without question.I can't say the same for my doubles.It could be that I do not own a good double-one that is accurate and stays accurate(and regulated).I don't trust what I read about other peoples experience with doubles because they are conflicting and no-one wants to offend the people that sell them who hangout on hunting forums.It also seems that no-one owns a rifle that doesn't shoot well.

Usually rifles that don't shoot well move on. So owned one but don't own one.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by swiftshot

When did you dream that story up?

It certainly wasn’t in the same fantasy land where you shoot a cow buffalo- on video that you posted- after your PH told you not to shoot…. Then you hesitated after the PH told you to come up and finish of the poor, bellowing cow. Come on shootaway aka ready, set, shoot, get honest.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Seeing as how my goal is to make safe handling and proficiency with the Winchester Model 70 second nature, I would go with the Model 70, probably in .375H&H magnum, Warne or Burris Extreme Tactical two piece bases, and swap between an Aimpoint H2 (to keep the loading port open) and a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope in QRW rings depending on what I expected to be doing that day. Both optics would back each other up if one failed.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 11/15/22.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Of the Ph's that were killed in a charge I think there were two that I can remember that were using a bolt.Did the others use bolts too?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Seeing as how my goal is to make safe handling and proficiency with the Winchester Model 70 second nature, I would go with the Model 70, probably in .375H&H magnum, Warne or Burris Extreme Tactical two piece bases, and swap between an Aimpoint H2 (to keep the loading port open) and a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope in QRW rings depending on what I expected to be doing that day. Both optics would back each other up if one failed.

That has been my goal also. Have thousands of rounds through my various Model 70's.

My "DG" rifles are set up with Warnes bases, QD rings with back up scopes and iron sights.

Arcus Venator
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.