Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Suggest you go back and read the whole thread before proffering advice.

Short answer ---- it's all explained and fixed.

Sorry, obviously there was a misunderstanding!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Suggest you re-assess/re-read the advice gentleman the told you. It wasn't specific to your situation, but encompassed it. It was, as I read it, a philosophical rejoinder - nothing more, nothing less.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

If you don’t want advice or opinions don’t ask questions.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Okay boys I am reformed.
I'll never dare to comment on anyone jumping on my thread and tellin me what I should do.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay boys I am reformed.
I'll never dare to comment on anyone jumping on my thread and tellin me what I should do.

You're reformed?

I thought that you were the same old Larry Root that you've always been on this site, regardiess of what you are calling yourself at the time. How many user names have you had on this site? 50? 100? Anybody who changes their user name as often as you do would seem to be trying to hide your true identity/reputation. I'm kinda surprised that Rick hasn't found your latest user name and converted your UpThePole posts to Oldman1942 posts.

Anybody interacting with Larry, regardless of how reformed he is or what he is currently calling himself, should read jwgibson's thread from 2014 regarding his interaction with Larry and judge for themselves.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Okay boys I am reformed.

If you are going to cop an attitude like that then maybe this really isn't the best place for you. But if you want to participate with a group of guys who are far more knowledgeable on this subject than you or I will ever be and in an evironment interested in the historic perspective (after all this forum is called Savage Collectors for a reason) then by all means do pull up a stump and stick around, you might learn more than you expected. But also learn to practice a little humility, diplomacy and civility in your approach to others. And to be clear, unlike before this time I am taking the liberty to tell you what to do. The world has way to many flamers and I don't think anyone is coming here looking for yet another bad attitude. And if you are Larry, then sadly there's nothing to say. Some broke can't be fixed. Best of luck!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
As I said, I found the correct mount, thanks to members, I have the correct scope.

I'm sure it will be a nice period piece shooter.

I anyone wishes to communicate, my email is on my profile page.

Thanks to those who helped solve mystery.

Paranoia strikes deep
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
As I said, I found the correct mount, thanks to members, I have the correct scope.

Glad everything went well and I look forward to reading your future posts. Have a good Sunday and I will see you around the Campfire.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
Ugh that is one ugly mount.

Guess I'll go with the modified Leupold someone here is said to make.

Need info. Thanks.

The holes are only ugly if you judge them by the aesthetics of today. You bought a period rifle with period features. Nobody set out to destroy its future desirability when they mounted the scope. In fact it could be argued they were forward thinking in mounting glass on a rifle during a tiime when open and peep sights ruled the day. Those holes would not bother me at all and here's an alterntive solution. There is a replica Wever 330 being made for the "sniper" guys who are into milsurp. I suspect the optics in the replicas are far better than what the originals had. You could always put a Weaver side mount back on that 99 and go with a modern replica of the 330. And that would look like the hot setup that 99 was back when the holes were drilled.

Need info. Thanks.

The holes are only ugly if you judge them by the aesthetics of today. You bought a period rifle with period features. Nobody set out to destroy its future desirability when they mounted the scope. In fact it could be argued they were forward thinking in mounting glass on a rifle during a tiime when open and peep sights ruled the day. Those holes would not bother me at all and here's an alterntive solution. There is a replica Wever 330 being made for the "sniper" guys who are into milsurp. I suspect the optics in the replicas are far better than what the originals had. You could always put a Weaver side mount back on that 99 and go with a modern replica of the 330. And that would look like the hot setup that 99 was back when the holes were drilled.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Need info. Thanks.

Need info. Thanks.

Need info. Thanks.

That’s one of the best discriptions of how I feel about the Noske side mount on my 1928 K. People said what A Hole put a side mount on an engraved rifle? Even back then? It came out of big cattle country. I like to think the guy wasn’t an A Hole. I think he was a wealthy rancher that ordered up the finest rifle available at the time, an engraved K, special wood, take down, 300S, then he put one of the top shelf scopes of the day on it. I bet none of the ranch hands second guessed what he did? I bet none of his wealthy friends second guessed him either.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Glad everything went well and I look forward to reading your future posts. Have a good Sunday and I will see you around the Campfire.

First class, all things considered... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
And now for the rest of the story.

Thanks to Lightfoot I have a T7 mount. Put it together with my Litscherts converted J 2.5 and it turned out well.

Not everyone's cup of T but fits the period.

Thanks for all the help from fellow Savage lovers !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by UpThePole; 08/22/22.

Paranoia strikes deep
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.