Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
4:30 am wake-up for the prep of the guntrucks for a convoy, my 5 ft tall gunner was always twice as fast, setting up his 240L machine gun in his turret. Those cans of belted 7.62 nato could be tossed up to the turret, rather than carried.

He'd then go lend a hand to the other gunners still fking around with the 50 cal, head spacing barrels and carrying ammo.

End of mission cleaning, 50 cals would still be in parts, and he'd turn his 240l into the arms room.

I'm surprised with how some gunwriters of today, would dare claim the 6.5 douche-nozzle is a better hunting round than the 308 winchester.

When a young Alaskan kid is drawn for a bison hunt, guess which cartridge makes the cut?

The 308 winchester:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../308-win-200-grain-hotcor-leverevolution

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Brad,
Thanks for posting this article.
Whenever I read again something by Finn I am reminded of how many things I incorporated from his articles.
A practical hunter, he wrote about things of interest to others.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I recall the situation correctly, which years later may not be absolutely correct, the dust-up where Finn left the NRA publication was at least partly due to him running some tests on a new big game bullet made by a major ammunition manufacturer. He reported it failed his test, and so badly he would never use one on big game. (He may not have used those exact words, but that was the gist.)

And he was absolutely correct about the bullet--but when I talked to one of the major representatives of the company at a major sporting goods show shortly after the article appeared, he claimed "they" (some unspecified "they" from the company) had taken the ammo to Africa and it worked fine. "They" may have done that, but the guy couldn't provide any specifics about bullet performance, such as size of animals, placement of shots, etc.

Even more interesting was the fact that the company dropped that POS of a bullet (yes, I tested some too) shortly afterward, and introduced another very good big game bullet. I also wouldn't be surprised if Finn resigned, instead of being fired--but don't know, and never asked him.

In my own experience, the policy of various publications about real testing of advertisers' products varies considerably. A few magazines won't run any slight hint of a negative review, not many. Generally if a product is really substandard, then the publication won't even run a review. Why not, you ask?

Well, for one thing some have done that, and then gotten a bunch of letters and/or e-mails from readers, wondering why the publication wasted space (and the reader's time) on such junk. Still, once in a while really bad product gets a really bad review--and the last time I remember writing one that got published appeared in one of the NRA publications--though on their Internet site, not in a paper magazine. The product was an absolute POS rifle scope, and apparently I wrote a funny enough review for them appreciate the humor.

But the policy of MOST magazines I've written for is IF the product really sucks, to contact the manufacturer again, describe what happened, and ask if it was simply one defective product, which can happen even with really good manufacturers. Then, if the manufacturer is willing to send another sample, it gets tested to see what happens.

If it does work as claimed, then the review gets published. If not, then the review does not appear. One example was a big game rifle made by a major company. The first one they sent me shot so poorly that I then did something I should have done before going to the range--check it out thoroughly. It turned out one of the two locking lugs on the bolt wasn't even contacting its seat inside the action. The company apologized, and along with sending a shipping label for the first rifle to be returned, also sent a second rifle. But the second rifle turned out to have exactly the same problem. The magazine never published ANY review of the rifle.

On the other hand, some new products were defective, but the company soon fixed 'em. I know this due to getting another new scope from major company that fell apart within about 20 rounds when mounted on a very accurate .375 H&H. The company wanted it back to see what failed, and after finding out pulled that entire production run, and changed part of the internal design. The second scope worked perfectly on the same rifle.

But the spectrum of possible responses, both from manufacturers and magazines, partly depends on the policy of their personnel at the time. I have worked for magazines where the policy changed depending on who was in charge, and have tested products from manufacturers who refused to admit some of their products weren't perfect--and those who were always open to hearing how they might be improved.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ken Howell once told me that any review, good or bad, benefited the product manufacturer. His philosophy about bad or substandard products was to say nothing. Do not publish. Talk to whoever made it for an explanation.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I always enjoyed Finn’s writing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"Never trust anyone who hasn't been fired at least once."

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe it's just a coinkydink, but every guy I know who has been in harms way, in real danger with the whole farm on the line...displays a common trait, they call it as they see it, and they don't have a phony bone in their body.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Maybe it's just a coinkydink, but every guy I know who has been in harms way, in real danger with the whole farm on the line...displays a common trait, they call it as they see it, and they don't have a phony bone in their body.

That's a fair assessment.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Finn is a guy I wish I could have shared a camp with.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here is a tribute that I found on the Internet and was published after Finn passed away:

https://indexarticles.com/reference/american-rifleman/a-tribute-to-finn-aagaard/

I corresponded a few times with Mrs. Aagaard (Berit) after Finn's passing, initially sending a sympathy card to her in the care of the NRA. She too is a wonderful person, she is remarried to a very fine gentleman and the last I knew, her son Harald was a Captain in the USMC. I think he retired after his 20 years in the Corps.

I have Finn's book mentioned in an earlier post, along with another hardback book with a CD of Finn discussing his many adventures. I haven't looked at them for a long time.

He was definitely one of the good guys.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
model70man,

Unfortunately, Berit's second husband Bill Pace passed away a little over a year ago. He was 93 and had lived a very full life, but thought you might like to know.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
model70man,

Unfortunately, Berit's second husband Bill Pace passed away a little over a year ago. He was 93 and had lived a very full life, but thought you might like to know.

John

John,

Thank you for letting me know. I couldn't remember Mr. Pace's last name. I'm so sorry to hear of this. BTW, you and Finn are in the same class of writers!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much. Finn was one of my favorites....

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by flintlocke

i have always lived by this way of thinking in life , but in todays world we are Rino`s, black and white thoughts don`t count anymore , thoughts have to have purple , pink ,green , blue or whatever. the John Wayne type of people we are now outcast in this new type of society .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Does anyone have a copy of Finn's first article on " A Professional's Rifle"? I have the second "13 years later" but would like the first if possible.
Thanks, Gary

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, alwaysoutdoors, 338reddog, 808outdoors, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,875
Posts18,403,440
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.