Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Ridgeline, a Creed and 88’s are going to be giant killers.

I have much love for the 75 Amax 223AI Montana combo, but the Montana is absolutely getting a 1:7 this winter.

What barrel will you use? Factory contour or custom. I have a 223 Montana that I love as well but have been thinking the same thing.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Frank

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
When it comes to twist , I know the advantages. You can shoot a longer heavier bullet . However, is there any disadvantages to a 1/7twist? Is the muzzle velocity slower? In guns, and bullets, there is almost always a trade off. Does a fast twist barrel wear out faster? If there are no dis advantages, then why did Remington and others go with a 1/14" twist? Does a fast twist work well in an 18" barrel, or does it need a longer barrel? Not that I care.

Last edited by ihookem; 12/25/22.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When these cartridges came about there was no need for fast twist.

Available bullets of the day weren't long anf heavy.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My .223, 20 inch barrel, 9 twist, has killed about a dozen deer with 53 grain TSXs. No losses. None made it 100 yards after the hit. No bullets stopped in any deer. Heaviest deer of the lot was ~200 lbs. Not enough deer to be statistically sound numbers, but a pretty damned good looking sample so far.

I think it's the combination of 3300 FPS and 9 twist. It took me a while to decide to shoot a deer with it. I shot enough other varmints to give me a reason to think it probably would work well, even though I'd seen a few deer well killed with a .222 mag and had killed a gut shot buck I had to chase way out in a swamp (pre-TSX). I do not see a whole lot of difference between it out to 250 yards and a 30-30 under 100 yards with silvertips. Pretty similar holes. I haven't killed enough deer at 100 or more with the 30-30 and 150 grain TSXs with that big ass hollow point, but suspect it might be able to do a little better. Especially using LeverEvolution and pushing it to the top. It produces 2400 FPS with that TSX and sub inch accuracy with some room for more.

The .223 definitely has more range and better accuracy at max range than the 30-30.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have 5 boxes of brand new Hornady 64gr. .223 that I would sell. These are made for deer hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vixen
I have 5 boxes of brand new Hornady 64gr. .223 that I would sell. These are made for deer hunting.
Hornady no longer lists a 64 grain bullet. What are they? Are they component bullets or ammunition?

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry guy's . We used 60 Grain Nosler Partitions.....MERRY CHRISTMAS!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by fshaw
Ridgeline, a Creed and 88’s are going to be giant killers.

I have much love for the 75 Amax 223AI Montana combo, but the Montana is absolutely getting a 1:7 this winter.

What barrel will you use? Factory contour or custom. I have a 223 Montana that I love as well but have been thinking the same thing.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Frank

Merry Christmas Frank.
The two 223AI I built this summer/fall were with IBI Barrels (Canadian company in Chilliwack BC) using their Sporter contour.
The Montane will be a factory dupe of the contour, and a couple inches bobbed off to match the one I have. Balance and handling is exquisite on that one.

I see zero downsides to the 1:7, but to be fair I only shoot 75’s and 88’s out of them. We’re several tons deep into lynx/coyotes/wolves/bears/deer with the 75 Amax out to 500+ yards around here (although the 75 is a little bit too much bullet on canines as you can’t keep one inside them regardless of angle and exits are big. 88’s are even more of the same.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know... I don't think of it is so much a particular round, or bullet, or firearm

than I think it is the shooter and his knowledge of where to put the bullet and his ability to do so reliably...

if some one can make it work reliably on A consistent basis, who is someone else to criticize their choice and its use?

applies to about anything.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
With all the guys here saying it works really good and as good as a 30-06, why not just use a .223Rem.? If it works... Like Seafire ,,, the guys using .22 cal. are much more aware of where that bullet needs to go. A weekend warrior deer hunter will not use a .223 Rem. They use " deer rifles". I have a Savage 12 fv in .223 Rem. It is at least 10 lb. gun and I never use it anymore . I like the gun,, with a Leopold 6x18 scope . However, I dont shoot targets much anymore , I'm mostly a bow hunter and fisherman. If I can find a nice light .223 Rem. I will trade the Savage for something practical and will likely use the new .223 Rem. for deer sometimes. My go to gun is a Ruger American compact 18" barrel that is 6 lbs. It works very well for going through marshes , swamps and cat tails . I hunt in trees with a climber so light and compact is best .

Last edited by ihookem; 12/25/22.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yawn, same question 1000 times!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
That’s a big whitetail.

We grow ‘em big up here. Imagine if’n he’d been a big mature 5 point…

OK, so I gotta be that guy; this new ballistic science of the "more vicious twist" effect on zee terminal killing and so forth. Really? That sure beats the tumbling or exploding theories of days gone by. Much more subtle. If you are convinced, that is all that matters. But I'm more curious how you fit those long 88's in a typical rifle? Assuming they are at least as long as Sierra 80's we shot out of service rifles single loaded, you must have a long action receiver, no? My last visit to the range guys were talking about 223 superseding 308 at long range using 90's in fast twist barrels. That was on the horizon 20 years ago. It's a curious development beyond specialized target shooting, however, the heavier projectiles encouraging the AI modification. Instead of simply a 22-250 or 243, known to work well. Rifle loonies are chosen people obviously, crazier the better. Very cool. How you do that? Never mind why....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t have any experience pushing the 88’s faster as I’m lacking any 22-250’s or 22 Creeds, but I think there is merit in “just enough” velocity and vicious twist rates. I do know that under the onside front quarter there was a hole the diameter of a beer can bored through both sides of the ribcage and the lungs on both the moose and the bear. We’ve smashed quite a few deer/moose/elk/bears with 105 Amax’s from 243AI’s with similar distances and bullet placement, and the permanent wound channels from 105’s/ 9 twist are not as big as the 1:7/88, but thats a sample of 7 heartbeats with 88’s this fall so statistically insignificant relatively speaking.

As to the HOW of it, pretty simple to pull the mag block out of a short action Rem 700, and you are there.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 12/25/22. Reason: Spelling

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tzone
That should do just fine Gunner. But you know that.

Shot mine at 200 on Monday. I love that little rifle.

55gr ttsx over 4198.

Good stuff, Thanks T and Big B, yes, the little rifle has no recoil, the 2.5-8 Leupold is plenty for any 250 yard max hunting, i intend to find out what those little slugs will do this season.

Well, i didnt see anything i wanted to burn a tag on while carrying the Ruger 223, but loaned it to a 14 year old cousin, i heard him shoot that morning then heard his dad who is my first cousin fire up the SXS and go load the kids deer, they already had the 8pt buck dressed and hanging when i got back to camp, kid said he shot the buck at 35 yards slightly quartering toward him, slipped the 62gr TBBC in tight behind the shoulder crease, said it nearly knocked the buck down chest first, recovered and hop staggered 10 yards and fell dead.

I found a 1.5" exit hole in the hanging bucks flank, dad said when he opened the buck it looked like he swallowed a stick of dynamite, dad was also a Mil medic back in the Fallujah days, i asked him about that load for two leggers, haha, forget them, they be done, LOL plenty good enough in my book, and glad to find out what the little 62gr TBBC's at 3100 fps will do from the 223.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shoot yeah, congrats to the boy and I never had a doubt that load of yours would clean any bucks clock! Nice stuff!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don’t have any experience pushing the 88’s faster as I’m lacking any 22-250’s or 22 Creeds, but I think there is merit in “just enough” velocity and vicious twist rates. I do know that under the onside front quarter there was a hole the diameter of a beer can bored through both sides of the ribcage and the lungs on both the moose and the bear. We’ve smashed quite a few deer/moose/elk/bears with 105 Amax’s from 243AI’s with similar distances and bullet placement, and the permanent wound channels from 105’s/ 9 twist are not as big as the 1:7/88, but thats a sample of 7 heartbeats with 88’s this fall so statistically insignificant relatively speaking.

As to the HOW of it, pretty simple to pull the mag block out of a short action Rem 700, and you are there.

Great stuff Kodiak. Great accounts with the 88/223.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by skeen
I love these threads.
So far there have been lots of fantastical observations from the nay camp, like digging a 0.224” bullet out of a found dead animal and determining it was fired from a 223 (man I hope that guy is working forensics solving crimes somewhere!) to the “a bigger bullet would have resulted in us finding it, but it was shot perfectly! stories.

You can’t read more than any 10 threads on the fire before you read “Bullets matter more than headstamps”, and that ain’t wrong.

Bullet construction and twist rate that it is spun with matter more than anyone really contemplates for the most part, other thanthe guys who understand it know what it means, and I would bet 9/10 of those guys wouldn’t even blink about a fast twist 223 and a good bullet on a whitetail at ANY range.

I’ve killed a [bleep] of stuff (or been there spotting the hit over a shoulder) with fast and slow twist 223/223AI with bullets from 45 gr mono’s to 88 gr ELD-M.
Even the difference in terminal effects between a 75 Amax when spun at 1:9” versus 1:7” is noticeable when started at the same muzzle velocity.

We didn’t do a ton of business up here this fall with 223AI’s, but from what I saw, a 1:7 twist with an 88 ELD-m is a ridiculously underrated combination. The stuff we did kill though, was bang-flopped-dead with both shoulders crushed.

There isn’t a deer walking the planet that I would hesitate to poke an 88 through a shoulder from any angle, at any range that I would shoot a deer at, and in way up North on the East border of BC, they don’t build ‘em much bigger anywhere.

I’ll just put this here… 150 yards, oat fed bear in November. 88 ELD-m, both shoulders and an exit.

And if anyone has killed a whitetail bigger than this with ANY cartridge, I’d be REAL surprised.

175 yards, both shoulders broken, 88 ELD-m caught under the hide on the offside.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Imgur is being a bitch today and not letting me upload the pic of the 3” hole through the ribs that was under the onside shoulder after it was lifted off.

No fuss, no muss, no drama. Shot, half turn, fell down and kicked a leg and that was it. 2 seconds between impact and dead. And I weren’t guessing on what the results were going to be before I touched off the shot.

picking nits, they don't die in 2 seconds. But the simple fact that it never moved after the shot is pretty cool. Same with brain shots. They aren't dead instantly but they don't move much if any while bleeding out and before the heart stops.

The 223 has worked fine for years. We've used it since the 80s. Prefer bullets that don't leave those huge holes but thats easy to control. Never a fan of slow twist. Have preferred a fast twist a long time now. Still have a few 223 AR in 6.5 twist. And have a 70 barrel on the shelf in 6 twist 223 that has never been used yet. There may come a day when I find a SA 70 action to play with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.
💯 but not allowed in Va

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rost495
picking nits, they don't die in 2 seconds. But the simple fact that it never moved after the shot is pretty cool. Same with brain shots. They aren't dead instantly but they don't move much if any while bleeding out and before the heart stops.

Definitely picked all the nits out of that….
My apologies, would “hunched his shoulders at impact and rolled over. Not sure how long the electrical impulses kept his heart beating, but he fell down before I could get second hole in him and I run a bolt gun pretty quick and was expecting to hit him twice before I shot the first time” have been better? 😂

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nothing better for under 250 yrds, 53 or 55 grain barnes and bang flop everytime.

Fück Joe byron
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.