Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by jac3k
For the past 5 seasons we have used 223, 22-250, and 22 creedmoor pretty much exclusively. Looking back, I’m not sure if I can tell much difference in performance between the 3 cartridges. The 223 has become my favorite cartridge. We have used the Nosler 64gr bonded, 55gr and 75gr gold dot, 77gr TMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr ELDM, Hornady 55gr Sp, 70gr Accubond, and 60gr partition. Deer and hog were hunted, and shot from as close as 15 feet all the way out to 300 yards. All of the bullets listed have worked great. The 77gr TMK in the 223 is just absolutely amazing.

Of those bullets have any given consistent exits at ranges up to 100 yards? I’ve used 64 BSB and 77TMK (great performance) and gotten no exits at around 50 yards. Deer sure didn’t go far so it didn’t really matter. Wasnt to try the 75gr Gold Dot but it’s unobtanium. Have some 62grTTSX but have some concern about longer follow ups.

For the nay sayers, have had no exits with 140gr Pro Hunters from 7-08 and 140 gr BT from 7mag as well.

Thanks.

Frank

The only .224 bullets I haven’t caught yet are the 62gr TBBC and the 75gr Gold Dot.

Have been actively looking for the 75gr Gold Dots. Don’t believe there are any, anywhere.

GB1

G
G
62 grain gold dots seem to be gone as well.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
For the past 5 seasons we have used 223, 22-250, and 22 creedmoor pretty much exclusively. Looking back, I’m not sure if I can tell much difference in performance between the 3 cartridges. The 223 has become my favorite cartridge. We have used the Nosler 64gr bonded, 55gr and 75gr gold dot, 77gr TMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr ELDM, Hornady 55gr Sp, 70gr Accubond, and 60gr partition. Deer and hog were hunted, and shot from as close as 15 feet all the way out to 300 yards. All of the bullets listed have worked great. The 77gr TMK in the 223 is just absolutely amazing.

Of those bullets have any given consistent exits at ranges up to 100 yards? I’ve used 64 BSB and 77TMK (great performance) and gotten no exits at around 50 yards. Deer sure didn’t go far so it didn’t really matter. Wasnt to try the 75gr Gold Dot but it’s unobtanium. Have some 62grTTSX but have some concern about longer follow ups.

For the nay sayers, have had no exits with 140gr Pro Hunters from 7-08 and 140 gr BT from 7mag as well.

Thanks.

Frank

The only .224 bullets I haven’t caught yet are the 62gr TBBC and the 75gr Gold Dot.

Have been actively looking for the 75gr Gold Dots. Don’t believe there are any, anywhere.

It depends if you want components or ammo.

Last edited by LBP; 12/27/22.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When the TBBC’s were discontinued I had a bunch of factory 223 ammo loaded with them. Needing those bullets for my 22-250 I pulled the bullets from the 223 factory ammo and replaced them with inexpensive 55gr Hornadys. Nothing was wasted, I still had 223 ammo (with Hornadys) and had TBBC’s for my 22-250. The same could be done with the Gold Dots if needed, just a suggestion.

For what it’s worth I’ve spoke to Speer and they assured me the component Gold Dots have not been discontinued, we’ll see I guess.

Last edited by LBP; 12/27/22.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Shoot yeah, congrats to the boy and I never had a doubt that load of yours would clean any bucks clock! Nice stuff!

You bet Big B, that amount of penetration surprised the hell out of me, had to be near two feet, need to get the Adder mounted up on that little Ruger and go smack some dark thirty pigs! ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks LBP. Wanting components but can’t even find 75gr Gold Dots in loaded ammo.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks LBP. Wanting components but can’t even find 75gr Gold Dots in loaded ammo.

I was at GT Distributor’s down in Austin about a month ago and they had tons of 75gr gold dot ammo in stock. Currently they’re sold out but keep an eye on them as they get new inventory regularly. Good luck with your search, it really is a great bullet.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
77TMK at 200yds this evening. Late season doe I collected for some friends caught it center of the rib cage angling forward to exit the opposite shoulder. She staggered about 5 steps and folded up. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Typical lung soup produced by the TMK, no deer on earth could survive that I don’t care what state it’s from. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No eating that liver!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
77TMK at 200yds this evening. Late season doe I collected for some friends caught it center of the rib cage angling forward to exit the opposite shoulder. She staggered about 5 steps and folded up. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Typical lung soup produced by the TMK, no deer on earth could survive that I don’t care what state it’s from. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Any idea of the mv, just curious.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lung pudding generally will get it done. Nice…

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LBP
I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2650-2700. I haven’t chronoed it so I really don’t know but I’m shooting 25gr LVR out of an 18” barrel.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 2650-2700. I haven’t chronoed it so I really don’t know but I’m shooting 25gr LVR out of an 18” barrel.

It definitely worked. I have some that I need to work up a load for in my 223’s. My 22-250 launches them at 3150, I wonder if at that velocity it would be too much of a good thing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have shot several whitetails with them at 3250fps at the muzzle with good results. I did see less exits up close, but it didn’t matter.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have shot several whitetails with them at 3250fps at the muzzle with good results. I did see less exits up close, but it didn’t matter.
Good to know, thanks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm just now starting to come over to the dark side and join the stunt shooters. I recently started a thread asking for load advice using the .223 and 62gr. TBBC bullets. While in Mississippi, I had my brother hunt with his Ruger American .223 using the ammo I loaded. I had committed to making my season a lever gun season, the reason he was testing the loading for me.

Having seen the results, I would not hesitate to use it for any deer. I ordered a thousand bullets tonight to go with what I've already bought. I'll also be testing loads for the 77gr. TMK bullets I've purchased and hope to use on deer next season. Below is a link to the thread and results on loading and hunting with the .223 load.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8016221/loads-for-62gr-tbbc#Post18016221

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Aboltfan, where did you find the 62grTTBCs?

Thanks.

Frank

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Frank,

PM sent.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes. I have done it many times under 125 yards. 223 Rem 55 grain Sierra

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.

its not the cartridge... it is the shooter and shot placement and picking the right bullet...

despite popular theory, deer are not armor plated... nor is much other game....

on an experiment, I shot a post card piece of 3/8 inch thick steel target at 200 yds,
my load was 12.5 grains of Blue Dot with a Hornady 55 grain SP bullet.. MV was about 2600 fps..

The bullet bore right thru the steel plate...

Same combination, but making a regular Military Spec 3150 fps MV with a common powder, when the same type of plate was shot at 100 yds, the bullet splattered on the plate...5 in a row... then used the 12.5 grains of Blue Dot and the same bullet, with a MV of 2600 fps, and shot at it at 100 yds..that bored thru the plate each time...

Well the military load would certainly kill the deer, and if that bullet moving slower will drill thru a steel plate, I'm sure it will drill thru a deer or antelope....I've not been there, but loaded the Blue Dot loads for kids ( scouts), and they've been hunting with grandpa and dad, and it took down blacktail deer just fine...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 25 of 26 1 2 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (bcraig, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.