Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When people started cutting the cord on cable, you could get something like Hulu and watch day after live content commercial free from all the networks for like 15 bucks. Now it seems like every friggin network is spinning off their own streaming service and bailing on the 3rd party single providers. Paramount, Peacock, Disney, Discovery... Am I going to have to get 4-5 streaming services soon for what used to be one $15 app?

Add on top of that rapid price increases for the "Live" versions of the streaming services. WTF is it time to go back to cable? I hate Comcast but at least I'd have everything on one service again. For those who still watch TV, what service are you using? Are the good old days of one stop shopping gone?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Had Sling now have Hulu. Compared all the packages and went with Hulu based on the sports package I wanted.

Is it vastly cheaper than directv or cable?

No

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YouTube TV.. Tried Hulu and Sling and hated 'em both..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Holy crap, I just checked, YouTube TV is $65/month now. And of course you need cable Internet to stream HD. This is getting crazy.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you go with individual apps, check to see if what you'll get on the channels is anywhere near current. From what I've seen, many don't show the current episodes for a while.

I still like cable because like you said it's all in one place. And I can punch in a channel # instead of scrolling or searching then tuning in. Cable charges got too ridiculous though.

Some streaming services have locals if that matters to you. It's a bit handier than tuning over the air and can record. We tried several using free trials and went with Hulu live. Then On Patrol Live came on the REELZ channel, which Hulu doesn't have. So we switched to Sling because REELZ can be added. The DVR on Sling is an absolute POS for fast forward/rewind. And no locals. There was something about YouTube TV we didn't care for but I don't remember what it was. We may give it another whirl.

From what I can tell, they all have some of what you want but probably not all of what you want in a cable replacement.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you don't care about any sports or news channels, check out Philo. It's like $25/month.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
use an

Amazon Fire Stick

recent upgrade for $5

bezos must know I'm a cheap phuc

watch more U Tube than anything

wife pays for NetFlex

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Amazon Prime is $120 annually

so............$10 month

More than I wanna pay

but I get the prime shipping BS

Last edited by tikkanut; 08/14/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Started just watching dish again most of the time. Our wifi sucks so got tired of the constant buffering.
Winter comes and leaves off the trees it will go back to normal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Started just watching dish again most of the time. Our wifi sucks so got tired of the constant buffering.
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

with long distance and what the hell ever

'net stuff

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
If you don't care about any sports or news channels, check out Philo. It's like $25/month.
Yeah I might. News sucks and the only sports I ever watch anymore are some boxing and MMA fights. And I can get ESPN+ for like 5 bucks a month for that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you have regular cable TV, can you watch Netflix through it without Internet service? If I ended up getting cable TV again, I may just cancel my cable Internet. I could just check email or use my tablet through my phone hotspot. Hell, that would save $60/month right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

'net stuff

Podunk is 'downtown', compared to where some of us live. smile

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone using one of those Xfinity Flex boxes. Looks like you can get it free with Internet service and it has Peacock, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc apps on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ESPN+ doesn't include the regular ESPN channels if that's what you watch MMA on.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Redneck
Same, just “cut the cord”, happy with YouTubeTV

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ESPN+ doesn't include the regular ESPN channels if that's what you watch MMA on.
All the UFC, PFL etc fight nights I have watched have been on ESPN +. Haven't watched the regular ESPN channel in years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Yeah I might. News sucks and the only sports I ever watch anymore are some boxing and MMA fights. And I can get ESPN+ for like 5 bucks a month for that.
Price just went up. Might be more cost effective to bundle with Disney+ and Paramount+.

Other than HULU, which was $75/mo, I've yet to find a good streaming service that carries the variety/amount of live sports that I'd like. I'll be searching and soon! Wouldn't be surprised if I don't end up back at cable, at least for the 12mos promotional pricing, and go from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

'net stuff

I live 6 miles from a major intersection in the middle of a 'city' with 55,000 people, plus all the 1,000s of surrounding towns that connect to it, but out in the country. The only internet that is available here is a line of sight receiver on my roof looking 8 mile in the other direction to a transmitter on a town golf course. Expensive, and flaky at best. Had a house back in the hills and hollers about 10 miles further south, and there was no available internet. Not even close to living in Podunk and its fine fiber optic.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They all cost about the same now if you want the same # channels

Switched to youtube tv from cable. Same basic cost as cable but you save all the BS fees, settop box fee, hd fee, dvr fee adds another $30+ a month.

Youtube has unlimited dvr space.

I had roku/sling once before and their user interface (TV guide) sucks.

Still have internet service thru cable. basically thier lowest speed and never have any problems buffering on youtube tv.

I hated going thru the dog and pony show with cable where every time my contract is up they triple the price and then can't credit you back the difference until the following month.

We stayed at condo a few months ago with Dish/direct and every time is clouded up it would lose signal. plus no thanks about drilling holes in my roof to put the stupid satellite up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.