Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Years ago we had a skunk living in our feed room and I’d see her occasionally crawling out a hole in the evenings and wonder out across the pasture…. Well one evening she caught a vmax from my 17HMR and I just left her there for the buzzards. 2 days later my now ex wife asked about it. ( she loves animals! ALL Animals!). Anyway she informed me that she knew about the skunk but didn’t tell me because she knew I’d kill it and that she had a litter of young ones in there. Long story short, we raised them all. Fed them everyday and they became pretty tame. We’d pet them and they were actually pretty neat little creatures. They’d chirp at us and enjoyed being petted. Yes, they eventually developed their scent glands and we began distancing ourselves from them. Eventually they just wondered off but I’d occasionally see one of them out around an out building. I know I’ll probably get called a softy and y’all deal with them however you want but I seriously doubt I’ll ever kill another one.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Buddy caught a skunk, by accident in his medium sized live trap, and wanted to know how, and what to do with it. With a lot of learned knowledge here, I suggested to him, that as long as the Skunk couldn't raise his tail, he couldn't squirt, or spray, which is true. I suggested that he approach the trap cautiously, which he did, with a blanket, tarp, some sort of cover, and place the whole thing in a Wheelbarrow full of water, as he did, and drown it!

Mission accomplished!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't do ANYTHING.

The one in the foreground of the pic......... I've got 5 acres inside of invisible fence wire. He kills every skunk that attempts to venture inside. He just takes the spraying. Then tears the stinker in half. He's done it more times than I can count. I'm not sure if it's a special kind of mean or a special kind of stupid. EVERY ONE of the skunks was in two pieces. It's weird..........but the groundhogs, raccoons and possums are all left quite intact. I suspect the one in the back is responsible for a lot of those. But the skunks............ It's not pretty.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Raw egg for bait, works great.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's what I have been using. Just Crack the egg,a small crack. Put it in the back end of the live trap. Have 3 traps out last week or so. The cheap wire mesh ones. I tie about 20 feet of 5-50 cord on the top of the door end. Drag them out in the open yard. Shoot them in the trap with a 410. Light load of 7 1/2 does the trick. Doesn't hurt the trap.

If they spray, deal with it, after a bit.

2 skunks and 5 coons this week. Some days, coon in one trap, skunk in the other. They have been playing together. And have been spraying around all night.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Local vet had a fellow that worked for him, and this man had several pet skunks that he kept in a cage. The skunks had all been operated on and had the scent glands removed. One day the door to the cage was left open, and the skunks got out. He went around the neighborhood catching his skunks, and when he got them all, he counted them and had one too many. He just opened the door to the cage and let them all go. No need in taking chances he said.

True story, I heard him tell it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
LOL.

That's about like a rancher I know. Got his crew together, rounded up his black Angus cows, herded them threw the brush, into a pen for sorting.

Then they saw they had a cow moose in the pen, with the cows. It started beating up on the cows.

You going to get it out, or me?

Nope, let them all out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.