Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
What would you rather hunt DG with if money was not an issue and why?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Double

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A double hands down,a double saved my bacon about a month ago.Buffalo came from behind cover at 15 yards, ph and I both shot to little affect, the left barrel of the double was triggered and spined the bull at 8 yards.The caliber was .450 NE 3 1/4" with 480 gr. bonded Hornadys.
Sometime you need the quick second shot,glad I had what I had.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Once saw a custom 458 win BAR.

5 quick shots !

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Ele - double - you get close. Really close.

Everything else - bolt - for when that Sable-of-a-lifetime steps out of the bush beyond 100 yards and your plans change on a dime.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Puddle, good point. An elephant is a very close range, heavy caliber quarry. A scoped bolt rifle is the way to go for everything else. You never know what opportunities might present themselves.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
It could be the my doubles accuracy issues and other brands are more accurate.I don't trust my doubles but trust my bolt rifles.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if money is not the problem always a double

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've only hunted buffalo so take this for what it's worth. I think a double is a better choice for elephant where you need quick close range shots. With a double the second shot is much faster because you don't have to work a bolt. For other dangerous game, I think a bolt is generally better: they're usually more accurate and are easy to scope which gives you more effective range.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am bolt action trash, plain and simple.

I have shot many thousands of rounds through bolt actions. For me to get as proficient with a double it would take a tremendous amount of range time. I shot over 1000 rounds of ammo through my 300 H&H, 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery bolt actions in preparation for my two trips to Africa.

Last edited by CRS; 08/14/22.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
For me, a bolt rifle is preferred for everything except elephant. These days, I’ve settled on a model 70 in .416 Hoffman as my go to dangerous game rifle. I haven’t shot an elephant in quite a long time, but my last bull was taken with a Rigby box lock 470 that I sold a few years later.

The only way I expect to acquire another double is when I book one more elephant hunt, which I’m actively considering. It’ll likely be another 470 when I do.

For buffalo, I think a scoped bolt gun is a better option in most situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Biebs
Puddle, good point. An elephant is a very close range, heavy caliber quarry. A scoped bolt rifle is the way to go for everything else. You never know what opportunities might present themselves.

This.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i grew up as a bowhunter by age 7-8 so i learned how to get very close to animals that most people will never be able to do, that`s why i would feel fine with a double rifle. when i was a kid my hand was about 3 inches or less from a moving elephant`s foot and i never told anyone tell i was adult because my dad would have beat my butt for that.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by pete53
i grew up as a bowhunter by age 7-8 so i learned how to get very close to animals that most people will never be able to do, that`s why i would feel fine with a double rifle. when i was a kid my hand was about 3 inches or less from a moving elephant`s foot and i never told anyone tell i was adult because my dad would have beat my butt for that.

When I was a kid and went to the zoo I fed an elephant peanuts out of my hand-lol.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Reality check !

How many of these experts have actually killed the big 5 with any rifle ?

Paranoia strikes deep
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Reality check !

none for me but you give me the money and i would show how its done , i am no expert with the big 5 in Africa but i have done well with a bow and arrow on my own. so using a rifle for a blue color worker like myself is no big deal or any other blue collar workers who have hunted all their lives . we would probably always do better than some rich dude brag`n about killing the big 5 with a expensive guide in Africa. that`s the true reality check dude !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elephant and hippo I use a double

Buffalo I’ve used both

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have hunted with a bunch of PHs, and know several more very well. Have also sat around during evenings drinking beer with up to half-a-dozen very experienced guys, and heard them argue.

But the majority have stated that they much prefer to see a scoped bolt-action come out of the gun case when a new-to-them buffalo hunter shows up, This is because too many have seen bullets misplaced on buffalo due to two factors:

1) Iron sights, which often don't provide an adequate aiming point on buffalo in thick, shadowy cover.

2) A double chambered for a cartridge the hunter can't handle, due to recoil and/or heavy trigger pulls.

And buffalo hunters probably out-number elephant hunters 100-1 in present-day Africa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Reality check !

Probably more than you.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
No doubt, but I don't claim to have the answer.

Do you ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 28 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.