Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Was it BrentD who explained how wolves improved the game herds?
they do....if you like raw meat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't think we are killing enough wolves
The trouble is, you don't just run out and kill a wolf. They're very hard to come by. Very few are taken by hunters primarily after deer or elk. In Idaho, you can buy an unlimited number of wolf tags and the price is very low, $11 for residents, yet the wolf numbers are growing. More are taken by trappers but there are too few trappers to thin them out.

Anyone using trailing hounds?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by roundoak
The trouble is, you don't just run out and kill a wolf. They're very hard to come by. Very few are taken by hunters primarily after deer or elk. In Idaho, you can buy an unlimited number of wolf tags and the price is very low, $11 for residents, yet the wolf numbers are growing. More are taken by trappers but there are too few trappers to thin them out.

It's legal but it sure seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

If hunters cut back on chasing ungulates for a year or three and concentrated on wolves/mountain lions/bears/coyotes/bobcats it would be great for the herds. But of course that's not going to happen.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smell something funny with the "Christopher Wolf" post-doctoral student story. However, if such a person exists and has made such a proposal, I have some solid info for him based on living in proximity with planted wolves for more than 20 years. It is not more land that the wolves need.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just NO to more Wolves.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
All these varmints had bounties years back for
good reasons

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike

It's legal but it sure seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

If hunters cut back on chasing ungulates for a year or three and concentrated on wolves/mountain lions/bears/coyotes/bobcats it would be great for the herds. But of course that's not going to happen.
In the states listed by the OP, why is it a disaster waiting to happen?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
They have wolves in nw south dakota occaisionally but what they don't have is ranchers dumb enough to talk about it. Sss is alive as a doctrine among those who have learned from their neighbors.
This.

A lot to be said for one keeping their yapper shut.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
roundoak,

I read of wolves killing packs of hounds that are chasing mountain lions, so using dogs for wolves could be a disaster.
Seen pictures of the dead mauled hounds on trapperman website.
I'm all for it if the dog hunters can do it.

Maybe a pack of wolf-hounds could work.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho allows hound hunting but it's an expensive sport and not many do it. You really don't want your family pet to catch up with a wolf pack.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Looks a lot like our Govt’s social policy of promoting a “predator” and “scavenger” class, over the “producer” class.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
These kinds of regulations always come from those who have no skin in the game.

But they do!

Their emotions...
So some years back as the wolves re appeared into Southern Oregon and Northern Calif., there were a lot of public meetings, yadda yadda "it is inevitable that there will significant be livestock loss, but the US Fish and Wildlife budget does not allow for ranchers to be compensated." At that point the raving greenies, (Oregon wild.org) who are primarily centered around Southern Oregon State Univ. in Ashland said, it's worth it, WE will pick up the tab, a fund was started, lasted about 2 years, went bankrupt. Turns out the raving greenies had a lot of trouble getting their checkbooks out of the ass pocket of their LL Bean sustainable pants. Like Blue Duck says, no skin in the game. I suspect that now, the Pacific Wolf Coalition has arm twisted the USF&W to pick up the beef and sheep bill.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Trapping/snaring is the only effective way to take them (well actually, helicopters are the best way followed by a Super Cub or Husky). Even setting up and calling them has limited results. They don't charge in like starving coyotes. Me and a bud set up a stand with an e-caller on what was a perfect night, clear, cold and moonlit with snow on the ground (AKPEN). We went through the range of howling and prey sounds without an answer. Then we started doing coyote sounds and them bastids come unglued. For about 40 minutes while exchanging insults with them, they sounded like junkyard dogs howling punctuated with barks which I've never heard heard before or since. When all this started they were about 2 miles out and we brought them into about 3/4s of a mile. They never would come in any closer.

A few years ago in the next village over, this kid smoked a schitt ton of wolves. They were following a small caribou herd and he and he was sniping them off from the edges. The caribou hung around for quite awhile giving him ample opportunities over several days to take shots at them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho allows hound hunting but it's an expensive sport and not many do it. You really don't want your family pet to catch up with a wolf pack.

Why would you consider it an expensive sport? It is clear you really don't know much about putting trailing hounds on a wolf.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you wish to hunt wolves with dogs, you need Irish Wolfhounds,

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
"A" wolf wouldn't be any trouble, four hounds trail up into a pack of wolves , I think the hounds will come out on the short end of the stick.

My deceased uncle and his friends gave up on coon hunting around sw ohio.
He said, you train a dog to trail and tree coons and before you can get to the dogs they're in a battle for their life with coyotes. The dogs become leery of getting very far from them and 'stand around under your feet'.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why would you consider it an expensive sport? It is clear you really don't know much about putting trailing hounds on a wolf.

What breed of hound are you talking about?
I know a dozen hound hunters in Idaho and Montana, who use triggs or some sort of a trigg/cur cross for lions and black bears. Most all have lost dogs to wolves while on a lion or bear track. A few have lost their entire pack at once.

I have heard of hounds baying up a wolf before but am curious as to what breed is capable of doing so consistently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Do these look like Irish Wolfhounds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Do these look like Irish Wolfhounds?

Interesting, and very informative. Thanks for those.

In all honesty though, those don't look to be very big wolves, but maybe I am wrong. My Montana wolf was 7'4" long and I know of several others killed in MT and ID that are in that same size range, though many have been smaller, too. Those look like really big coyote size wolves.

Those hounds look to be about the same size as those commonly used in the west to lion and bear hunt, and many, many of those hound packs have been completely wiped out by wolves.

When you all set loose, do you only do so on wolf tracks that you can reasonably conclude are from a lone wolf and not from those with a pack?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.