Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17515512 08/14/22
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hopefully you Winchester experts can help me with some ammo values. Not really looking to sell any of this, just curious. My dad had a good friend and neighbor that passed a few months ago and left practically all of his guns and ammo to my father.

Included were these two boxes:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The box is complete with all 20 rounds, matching headstamps, etc. Handwritten price of 9.25 from the Western Auto in Earle, AR. Dad is not looking to sell necessarily, just curious if they’re worth a little extra.

Second box is a Bicentennial box of 30-30 150 gr Silvertips. Not full but the commemoration headstamp is pretty cool. Worth anything at all, or just cool factor??

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. That bi-centenial ammo is pretty cool especially. I'll bet that 30-30 ammo would be worth quite a bit to the right person.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Frankly, the stuff's value lies in its shoot-ability. Collecting of boxed ammo has four parameters: Age (not that old), rarity (not rare), condition of box being paramount (not all that good on both counts- worn/frayed, writing and stickers), and being full.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/15/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good info. Thanks gnoahhh

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Parallel nowadays between ammo and wine prices! Unknown reloads the potential rot gut of wines. Even such, none cheap! Quality beyond, all moved toward "connoisseur" pricing. Christies Aucion House 'stuff'! Yet the same basic proposition, whether as "Drink it" or "Shoot it"! "Hobbs Choice!' The Big Bang Theory: Pleasure now or profits later!

War story- true. Some coupe of decades ago, an opportunity to buy Norma Super 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Ammo. The later vintage Norma's own "improved" as "7x61 Super" tacked on. With four such chambered Schultz & Larsen quality bolt rifles and ammo headed the way of the Dodo, I indulged. 30 boxes @ $10 per box new stuff still in factory packs of ten boxes each. Sitting yet now with some 600 factory fresh Norma rounds stowed yet in such packs... Moved from "accumulated" to "Invested". ( And no - not for sale foreseeably.)

Speculation - other. End of organized society, to take meat or put up a long casual-fire defensive fight with my S&L "battery". Good if to recall where their scopes stowed! Without, aged eyes & my swivel/reclining office chair. Wife aft, as "fire controller", vectoring! 'Us', lethal to several meters range & possibly leaving aggressors legally deaf, twice as far!

Ammo prices mixed with wider "conjures of the day"! smile smile smile

Best!
John

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our friend gnoahhh hit the nail right on the head in this case.

That ammo is worth whatever somebody that wants to shoot it is willing to pay for it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the old Winchester / Western boxes of ammo with a standing or crouching bear are worth some money - if you’ve got any of those.

Also you might be able to sell to a liberal artist at a flea market - that might think the silvertips are actually silver (which they aren’t).

Last edited by Stammster; 08/16/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
"Crouching bear", as described, perhaps suggestive of vicious bear, 'poised for attack'. Or... perhaps simply "grumpy bear" as... "Constipated!" Sounds like a test job for... "Pepto Bismol!" The trick as in "administering!" Yet brighter side! As definitely less hazardous to administer than... Suppositories! Oh My!

Another 'couldn't resist!
Anonymous!
smile smile smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.