Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I started this same thread in Ask The Gunwriters, yesterday. But, it may be better placed here.

Here’s a WTF happened puzzler for ya:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No barrel obstruction and no known injuries. The shooter claimed a three round .22MAG “chain fire.” Said he “never seen nothin’ like it in 35 years of shootin’.” Don’t necessarily assume that the cartridges were loaded into the cylinder chambers in the order they appear, because that is not known. Does this get your sleuthing juices flowing? What’s your take, and why?

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Look at those little dents at various spots around the rear face of the cylinder:

Do they mean anything?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Low grade, or old, ammo with degraded powder that detonated?

I've never seen rimfire ammo "fire" without the primer first being struck.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Then, there’s this:

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
… and this:

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm…

Best guess is one round ruptured upon firing, setting off the ones on either side, which obviously weren’t lined up with the barrel, not a good thing.

Anyone know what that headstamp is?

What fresh Hell is this?
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Best guess is one round ruptured upon firing, setting off the ones on either side, which obviously weren’t lined up with the barrel, not a good thing.
What do you believe most likely caused the first round to rupture? Then, by what mechanism do you believe the two cases were caused to crumple, with one of them being also ruptured?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only thought that happened with black powder revolvers

Romans 5:1
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Spain, Switzerland, and Russia have a “T” headstamp according to cartridge collectors organization…..not sure they made .22 mag ammo or not though - would be the first thing I suspected in this instance……..but lots of questions here???

PennDog

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Could it be firing pin indentations indicate the cylinder isn’t timed exactly right and the firing pin eventually caught the rim of the case that fired. It may be just close enough to hit the rims with a chamber not quite aligned causing the copper smear at the throat and the ruptured case and the crushed ones in adjacent chambers.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/15/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The dimples in the face of the cylinder must be from dry firing but even then they seem out of place..

Was the timing of the cylinder (suddenly?) so off that upon ignition the jacketed bullet smashed/sheared partially into the face of the barrel therefore sending bullet debris rearward into the closest cylinder(s)

I can see, being a 22mag that might create a situation violent enough to deform the cartridges in the cylinder close enough to ground zero

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That is weird. Was a pit bull chewing on it at the time?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy
What do you believe most likely caused the first round to rupture? Then, by what mechanism do you believe the two cases were caused to crumple, with one of them being also ruptured?

After a second look, I’d guess the crumpled one didn’t fire, but gas collapsed the case. The one on the right appears to have gone off, but again gas coming in the front probably caused it to collapse somewhat.

Rimfire case ruptures happen sometimes for various reasons. If one round in a lot is bad, it’s probably not alone. If, as was suggested, the gun was badly out of time or had lockup issues, that might explain the entire incident. I bought a SS New Bearcat some years back. It was a mess, sometimes shaving lead, other times the firing pin missed the rim altogether. Took two trips back to Ruger, at their expense in the end, to correct, but finally they got it right and it was then a really fine piece, accurate and shooting to the sights.

By the appearance of the cylinder latch, I’d guess this is a Taurus or maybe a Charter Arms?

What fresh Hell is this?
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a second look, I’d guess the crumpled one didn’t fire, but gas collapsed the case. The one on the right appears to have gone off, but again gas coming in the front probably caused it to collapse somewhat.
I believe you’re on to something, there. I don’t have “the answer,” as I have provided all the information I was given, except for the “who.” Do you think it possible the case-crumpling gas could have come from the rear instead of the front? Do you think the middle case may have been the last to fire, due to it being a pristine tube?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where did the slugs end up?

1Minute
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Where did the slugs end up?
I suspect what remains of one of them is pictured above stuck to the right edge of the barrel. I’m guessing it would likely have come from the middle case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmm…

Anyone know what that headstamp is?

Armscor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.