Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I need some guidance on locating a water leak at my folks house. Their water bill this month was $1,200.00 and last mo. it was $1,000.00, which is almost 3x the cost last year. They have an acre yard and I think one or more of the pipes underground is broken. I already found that the main sprinkler head 2" line, bronze golf-course-type head was broken underground and I repaired it, but I am at a loss on how to locate any other leaks, if they're underground.

The house has 2 meters - one for the house and one for the yard. The yard meter is consuming a lot more water than in the past. The house meter does run slowly, but the usage is in line with years past. Mom only waters the yard twice a week, so there's got to be a leak somewhere. When the sprinkler is off, there is no indication of water usage at the yard meter. After the tornado in 10 of '19 we had lots of trucks driving all over the yard and they broke many pipes and heads, but we repaired all the damage - or so we thought.

Any ideas on how I can determine if there is another underground leak or where a leak may be located?

Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many zones on the irrigation system?
You can run each zone independently and watch the meter. That should give you an indication of which zone has the problem.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a bad meter years ago. When I filled up a 55 Gallon barrel, meter showed over 80 gallons. I showed to the city guy. They replaced the meter.

The price of my water has gone way up also. I have two meters also

Don’t water for a couple of days, check for wet-green spots maybe??

Last edited by hanco; 08/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a cheapie but it might work for you.

Underground Water Leak Detector

Most the underground utility location contractors have really advanced leak detectors.

I rented a good one once but it was 30 years ago.

They work great.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
If you can break the line somewhere rig up a coupling with an air stem like is on your cars wheels. Air up the line, if there is water in the line the leak will become apparent.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are 8 zones. I could certainly watch the meter in each zone to see if one zone moves considerably faster than the others.

Regarding underground leak detection, I believe the leak only occurs when the sprinkler system is operating, so that may make it difficult to locate the leak due to all the noise, but I will look into it.

Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/15/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PatB
If you can break the line somewhere rig up a coupling with an air stem like is on your cars wheels. Air up the line, if there is water in the line the leak will become apparent.

Seems like it would be rather difficult to air up an acre of sprinkler lines - a lot of it is 2" PVC line. Right?

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're out $2200.00 in water bills. I'd cap every head to find the leak if I had to.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
check for wet-green spots maybe??

It's the yard, not the bed.... smile. smile

(sorry, sorry....)

Last edited by las; 08/15/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My water bill doubled for a few months, and I racked my brain trying to figure out what it was. Turned out to be the toilet in the guest bathroom. About every other time it was flushed, it would continue to run instead of cutting off and since we're rarely in there, we didn't know it. I had no idea that a toilet could use that much water. It wasn't running full force, just not shutting off completely.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Metal detector and spade will help rule out spray heads.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old school would be shutting off all the timers and letting the place go a little brown.... except the spot that's leaking.

Too labor intensive to shut off the pressure except when watering, that'd be a twice per day hassle, and you wouldn't find anything new..

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Start adding division /shut off valves. Isolate the problem systematically. Ball valves work well at this. Most meters have a small "triangle" indicator that when turning will show down to a very small flow that's your best tool. I bought a property 20 ish years ago that covered 10 acres and had a water leak. I isolated the system into thirds using ball valves and the flow detector on the main meter. The first day I quickly eliminated the house system and the barn system which left a 400+ foot run between the meter and the house which by process of elimination was where the leak was. In my case being in sandy ground and not finding water at the surface (and not knowing where the pipes exactly were) I abandoned that line and replaced it with a new one. For us that repair paid for itself in three short months. Good luck...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Throw some dish soap in and makes it even easier to spot.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
You're out $2200.00 in water bills. I'd cap every head to find the leak if I had to.

Yeah.

Man you would think there would be a puddle with that big of a leak.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PM sent

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by JeffA

Yeah.

Man you would think there would be a puddle with that big of a leak.

No puddle. Also there's probably 60+ heads in the yard - big PITA to cap 'em all, but it may come to that.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
PM sent
Thanks. Reply sent.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie
Start adding division /shut off valves. Isolate the problem systematically. Ball valves work well at this. Most meters have a small "triangle" indicator that when turning will show down to a very small flow that's your best tool. I bought a property 20 ish years ago that covered 10 acres and had a water leak. I isolated the system into thirds using ball valves and the flow detector on the main meter. The first day I quickly eliminated the house system and the barn system which left a 400+ foot run between the meter and the house which by process of elimination was where the leak was. In my case being in sandy ground and not finding water at the surface (and not knowing where the pipes exactly were) I abandoned that line and replaced it with a new one. For us that repair paid for itself in three short months. Good luck...

Thanks, I will look into doing that.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Old school would be shutting off all the timers and letting the place go a little brown.... except the spot that's leaking.

Too labor intensive to shut off the pressure except when watering, that'd be a twice per day hassle, and you wouldn't find anything new..

Folks don't want to kill all the St. Augustine.

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.