Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm wondering about some proper Classifieds etiquette and Covid.

Over the past two weeks, I have purchased two firearms off of internet classifieds. One muzzy off another forum and a rifle off of thisforum. I do some custom metal and craft work in my (not so) free time and really have to sacrifice time away from my young family to be able to raise the extra funds for such purchases.

I do understand my concern is insensitive to their sickness situation.

Here's the situation... Both sellers of these firearms unfortunately tested positive for Covid before they could get the firearm I paid for in the mail. One was electronic payment and I requested a refund until he could get the firearm shipped. No problem. The other was paid for with a postal money order so If the seller (which seems like a true gentleman that I have absolutely nothing negative to say towards) can't get to the PO ever, I'm out the funds. Note: the transaction for the rifle here went very smooth by the way and I have the rifle in my possession. I'm still waiting on the muzzy to be shipped.

right, wrong or indifferent, here is how I've addressed the situation. Similarly to both but requesting the seller needing to use a PO money order make contingency plans with those around them to please make sure they know to either ship the rifle or refund should Goodness forbid the virus takes a bad turn for them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I guess I am posting this for awareness as well and maybe it is a conversation we should have in todays world. I personally don't think the seller should have a problem with this. I know I certainly wouldn't if the situation were reversed. I think though that maybe these quick "I'll take it" purchases might need a bit more conversation, patience and dialog on both sides.

What say you?

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 08/15/22.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
99% of the good folks on here will find their way through something like this…think it’s case by case and no need to make a fuss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one seller that was sick with Covid by the time they received funds. I told him to wait until he was feeling better and a few days later he shipped without issue. I think the bottom line is OPEN and HONEST communication. That goes a long ways in my book and "radio silence" tends to make you think the worst.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I'm glad it worked out for you. I've not had a bad experience on here yet. And, you are landing large arrows on small hairs when you say, "I think though that maybe these quick "I'll take it" purchases might need a bit more conversation, patience and dialog on both sides." Ain't enough of that in the world, much less here in this virtual vacuum of gun nuts.

Apart from that praise - Covid is the new 'dog ate my homework'. It progressed so rapidly as a go to excuse that it flew by the excuse category and landed in the social comedy category. Doesn't mean people aren't adversely affected by it, but its just to easy to access by those whose moral compass contains even the slightest amount of gray. I own a small business, and we've been impacted by Covid in various ways at various times, and we've communicated those issues with specificity...to our clients. Every time. No gray. No canned monikers that everyone else uses. They aren't authentic.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I wouldn’t ask for a refund or halt a transaction simply because the other guy might die from Covid.

If I have good communication, I’d not stop a transaction due to a virus with a 99.5% survival rate.

YMMV

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Todd, you are correct. Communication is key. No one can predict an untimely illness or injury. These things happen. IMO if the seller becomes ill or injured and has already received payment, He should notify the buyer. If the seller can not ship the item immediately after receiving payment he should have no problem returning the funds to the buyer if the buyer requests. When the seller is well enough ship the item, the funds can easily be transferred again. Quick and Honest communication will make both parties feel at ease. Lack of communation can cause unnecessary problems. Justahunter was quick to communicate on a regular basis. It took about a week before I was well enough to ship the gun. Once I shipped the gun I notified Justahunter that the gun had shipped and provided tracking info. He quickly resent payment. Smooth transaction. I guess I should put this in the Good Guy List, But Justahunter is Good to Go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend who put a good bit of $ down on a local piece of property as a private deal. They were in the middle of the redtape and transferring process which can take months here in Pa. The seller died of COVID now there is a big legal battle with the seller's family, which is like a niece or something. Knowing the seller's family, the buyer is going to be out the $ he put in. So yes, it can happen.

Live and die by the Browning...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
MOST, 99.9%, on the campfire are top notch. Be a gentleman and get treated that way back.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am not gonna read all that you posted.

I think you would be a PIA to deal with . Forgive me if I am wrong .

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I could be way off base… but if as the buyer, what you bought will possibly put your family in a financial burden, then that is of no responsibility to the seller. You shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

IMO, it is a bit morbid and off-putting to be discussing someone that is sick and it taking a turn for the worse, no matter the % chance of survival.

As stated above, the Campfire has good people here. Common sense, Golden Rule, etc.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cisco1
I am not gonna read all that you posted.

I think you would be a PIA to deal with . Forgive me if I am wrong .
[quote=cisco1]

You’re forgiven.

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Okie19
I could be way off base… but if as the buyer, what you bought will possibly put your family in a financial burden, then that is of no responsibility to the seller. You shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

IMO, it is a bit morbid and off-putting to be discussing someone that is sick and it taking a turn for the worse, no matter the % chance of survival.

As stated above, the Campfire has good people here. Common sense, Golden Rule, etc.

Dang… I just wish I was rich enough I could be so nonchalant about the price of a rifle. Not the case and I’m not sorry for it. And it absolutely is the sellers responsibility to get the purchaser the item They purchased or a refund if the funds for that item have cleared their account.

There is an age demographic that the survival rate of Covid isn’t so high… I don’t know that the sellers fell into this age group but it is absolutely possible…

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 08/15/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any mention of anything covid related will get a bunch of naysayer responses. You may even be called a covtard. It's the real retards that post comments like that and makes me sad that the disease took someone else and spared them.

Good luck with your transactions and I hope the sellers make a full recovery.

Medics bury their mistakes..
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I read your message correctly, you’d expect the seller to ship it later with the promise that you’d then resend the funds once the item shipped? Sounds like a Craigslist scam. I’d refund your money once your payment had cleared and sell the item to someone else.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR
If I read your message correctly, you’d expect the seller to ship it later with the promise that you’d then resend the funds once the item shipped? Sounds like a Craigslist scam. I’d refund your money once your payment had cleared and sell the item to someone else.

Yeah, kinda I guess… but you’re leaving out the part were the seller says “hey, I got your funds but I tested positive for Covid, I feel terrible and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get to the post office to ship your rifle.” which absolutely adds a lot of context to the equation don’t you think?

Todd

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Originally Posted by WMR

Yeah, kinda I guess… but you’re leaving out the part were the seller says “hey, I got your funds but I tested positive for Covid, I feel terrible and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get to the post office to ship your rifle.” which absolutely adds a lot of context to the equation don’t you think?

Todd

I'm with Cisco1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by WMR

Yep

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
No offense man, but you wouldn’t get a refund from me with th expectation that you’d be sending money a second time. Pretty much you’d get a “I’ll have it out the door within x number of days” or a “have your money back once it clears on my end, don’t expect to do any further transaction with me” with that.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
No offense man, but you wouldn’t get a refund from me with th expectation that you’d be sending money a second time. Pretty much you’d get a “I’ll have it out the door within x number of days” or a “have your money back once it clears on my end, don’t expect to do any further transaction with me” with that.

No offense taken. If I have paid you once with electronic payment, and you came back at me with “I got your money but I have Covid and I don’t know when or if I’ll be able to get it (rifle) to the post office.” And I said “could you please refund my money until you know.” The feeling would be extremely mutual about me/us not wanting any further transaction if that offends you.

In the case of the postal money order, I did not ask for a refund. I simply asked to have a contingency plan with the people around them to either be able to ship the rifle or send a refund in case the medical situation worsens. Again if that is too much to ask, I would not want to deal with that person ever again either. Luckily both sellers didn’t think I was too out of line and I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would have an issue with that. I sent the money order on August 4th, it was received August 10th and the firearm still hasn’t shipped. I am okay with that but I can’t see why me being a tad concerned about me loosing my funds because of Covid is out of line.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 08/16/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
454 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.