Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What are folks thoughts regarding those small red and green felt battery post pads? Are they just snake oil or do they really provide some protection of some sort? If not using these pads what if any treatments do you use when installing a new battery? Thanks -tnscouter

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Petroleum jelly or the terminal spray stuff. Slows oxidation thus corrosion...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are worth it - make sure you saturate them with spray protector

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sans pads.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m indifferent on the matter. My dad puts them on his fleet of yard Cadillacs.
He even still uses the battery hold down rod and brackets.
I fling those brackets off into the briar patch when I do a battery.

I can’t wait to see who will extoll the virtues of post felts. This could be an 8- pager. Maybe a pissing will breakout.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
YES,yes and did I say yes? The whole NOCO battery terminal maintenance system is worth every penny. I have a half century of heavy equipment repair in the field and I'd bet about 20% of my "hurry, get here as fast as you can, I got guys standing around" service calls have involved corrosion on terminals, posts, and cable junctions. In later years as computer boards made their way into fuel and engine trans interface systems, it even became more critical to have stable voltage 100% of the time. NOCO pioneered the system, and I know nothing of the China knockoffs at auto parts. NOCO makes a cleaner aerosol, a red colored long term preservative aerosol, and of course the chemical felt pads. Remember as resistance goes up, voltage goes down, then amps go up, heat goes up, plastic and solder melt, and you have just toasted, pick one, a regulator, alternator, starter, relay, switch, mother board. Corrosion prevention is cheap compared to components. I got no beef with grease, but it is not alkaline and neutralizes nothing, it just keeps oxygen from speeding corrosion.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Count me as a believer, too. Nary a speck of corrosive build-up after 5 years with felt rings and supplied 'grease'. I replace with new ones when I buy a new battery. I am a believer in the spray stuff on battery cable connections, as well.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
YES,yes and did I say yes? The whole NOCO battery terminal maintenance system is worth every penny. I have a half century of heavy equipment repair in the field and I'd bet about 20% of my "hurry, get here as fast as you can, I got guys standing around" service calls have involved corrosion on terminals, posts, and cable junctions. In later years as computer boards made their way into fuel and engine trans interface systems, it even became more critical to have stable voltage 100% of the time. NOCO pioneered the system, and I know nothing of the China knockoffs at auto parts. NOCO makes a cleaner aerosol, a red colored long term preservative aerosol, and of course the chemical felt pads. Remember as resistance goes up, voltage goes down, then amps go up, heat goes up, plastic and solder melt, and you have just toasted, pick one, a regulator, alternator, starter, relay, switch, mother board. Corrosion prevention is cheap compared to components. I got no beef with grease, but it is not alkaline and neutralizes nothing, it just keeps oxygen from speeding corrosion.

How about coca cola?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

🤣🤦🏻

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gettin serious already. lol

Chemical composition of the corrosion, free ions, hydrates, sulfates, oxidizers, free radicals, electron shells,

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Coke? My Dad said it'd rot my teeth and stunt my growth, so I stayed away from it. I did have an old timey tire man show me that a bottle of Coke or Pepsi sloshed around the bead and lock ring of a rusty grader tire worked miracles...after I'd beat myself into exhaustion pounding on it with a bead hammer.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot the red and green (gimmick) washers a log time ago - need to keep those saturated. Buying other stuff at a battery shop and saw a can of impregnated felt washers - NOCO I think. Started using them - darkish sticky/messy, but worth it. As the battery ages and changes, the H off gas seems to be what causes most of the build-up. Those washers work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Using the pads with the terminal grease is the trick. No more corrosion for me. These have been on the 4Runner for 8 years.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure wish I could get a battery to last 8 years. 3 years is the average around here.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I sure wish I could get a battery to last 8 years. 3 years is the average around here.
Battery was installed in 2013. We only use the 4Runner for hauling the pups around, 31K miles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gettin serious already. lol

Chemical composition of the corrosion, free ions, hydrates, sulfates, oxidizers, free radicals, electron shells,

Damn, you're stirring things up today Slum. grin
I never was good at that stuff; flunked HS Chemistry. I don't use the pads but I do use the spray, cause I saw a mechanic on the YouTube useing it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I never thought much of them until I got some free ones with a battery once. Now I use them on all 3 of my vehicles. I just used to think they were just a gimmick. I guess there are some that aren't treated and don't work, but mine really keep the "crusties" away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Wow. I've never seen you so charged up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Took off my tinfoil hat...getting the voices again...uncontrolled bursts of enthusiasm over stuff that don't mean schidt...and it's 96 deg here...gin and tonic don't help. I'll get 'er under control, don't send help...yet.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Battery brush and Ox-guard, no pads.

Support your local brewer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.