-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That brain addled do-right-daddy retired engineer obviously isn't aware that weather, for millions of years, has occurred in cycles. The boondoggle aqueduct he proposes would take up to 30 years to build. One of these days when the weather cycle changes, it will begin to rain again and again and again in the West, dumping many feet of snow in the various western mountains and the rivers out here will be replenished. No need for the mega-billions of $$$$ aqueduct boondoggle then.

Lake Powell will again be "up to normal." Problem solved.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What could possibly go wrong with fugking with the Mississippi River again?

They need to leave the Mississippi River alone down here, go get the water from the Pacific Ocean.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How about the Columbia River instead of the Mississippi R.?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Suck the Rio Grand Dry ..
That’s where all starts ..
Things just easier..
He’ll they’ll loose their Stigma..

Hahaha Hahaha

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If massive desalination plants are built on the communist coast what will be done with all that salt? Return it in concentrated solution to the Pacific? Won’t that require decades of environmental impact studies? Will the US be faced with lawsuits from island states surrounded by increasingly caustic waters? Is this good for the planet?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Based on my limited pipeline knowledge you would need 4 5000hp pumps every 50 miles give or take up until you hit the mountains. This for two 36” lines, but water has a higher specific gravity and is harder to pump so one would have to do the math. Once the mountains hit you would neck down the lines and swap to multistage pumps with more head pressure. It’s very feasible from a mechanical standpoint. You gotta think the pipeline up the east coast starts in Houston and ends in New Jersey. There’s elevation hurdles on that path as well. But the pumps from Houston all the way to South Carolina are virtually the same size.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Na.. Market it.. Call it something like Salt Lick ..
Those Nantucket People will suck it Up ..
Big Big in Provincetown..
Key West ..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps in the short term, until they figger out this water shortage thing they could quit trying to grow grass in a dambed desert.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You don't want to be involved with the left coast idiots. Let them parish.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I would say FUGG YOU in a millisecond.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
I wonder what kind of Engineer he is retired from?

I have read desalinization makes sense economically where diesel is free and air pollution is not a concern.

(Saudi Arabia)

Why not just cloud seed? Like we do over Cooba.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GAGoober
How about Great Lakes water to Flaming Gorge. Then it could run downstream to the constantly drought stricken west. There is a huge supply and if we could just quit sending and spending money on NATO and That God awful Ukraine not to mention trying to democratize the Middle East. I'm not worried about coastal California but there is Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and of course Eastern California. Our kind of people.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hastings
How about Great Lakes water to Flaming Gorge. Then it could run downstream to the constantly drought stricken west. There is a huge supply and if we could just quit sending and spending money on NATO and That God awful Ukraine not to mention trying to democratize the Middle East. I'm not worried about coastal California but there is Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and of course Eastern California. Our kind of people.
I've said it before but all of these ideas about taking water from one region and giving it to another is just stupid. The second this transfer is accomplished every state in the pipeline including the source becomes beholden to California and their lunatic point of view on everything. That water will immediately become a "human right" and every population touching a Great Lake or one of it's watersheds from Minnesota to Maine will be sucking hind tit to the "needs" of California. I don't give a rat's azz if it's technically doable. [bleep] California and their "6th largest economy in the world". Get your own dam water.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d be concerned about the impact of removing massive amounts of water from one watershed to another.

Pulling water out of the ocean to water lawns and golf courses for califahgs and az snowbirds? Drop in the bucket. Re-routing water from the the Great Lakes (for example)to make viable previously unviable farm land to grow nuts and avocados on top of the lawns and golf courses? Let alone the requirements for hay etc I’m not on board.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duke61
Pipe along interstate 5 from Oregon would be the shortest route, it would provide jobs and water, the cost was estimated few years back at $30 bil.

If I recall then Oregon Gov. Tom McCall told California that the could have all the water they wanted if they pumped it out in Astoria.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Columbia river? Almost all of it's water comes from 3 PNW states and a little from MT and Canada. Except for some of north Idaho, the entire Columbia drainage is in a drought situation and could be for many more years.
Besides, CA has been after Columbia and Snake River water for years. The people in ID, WA, and OR are 'opposed', shall we say. I can't speak for WA and OR, but if the Snake river in ID had any extra water, we have LOTS of uses for it. Every drop of it is already appropriated.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I believe the state legislation in California I'm the 1970's was crafting a bill for this very thing.

This could technically be done using the Columbia River hydro power generated to pump water up over the Columbia gorge into Oregon and onward to California and downhill thru the I-5 corridor.

While this is realistic or possible it's an horrible idea. California would be in essence stealing or claiming the northwest quad of the country's water and they'd want the power generated to go along with it. The real problem with the idea would be the surrounding states would be subject to California's environmental state laws if ever such a project came to fruition. It's best to let the Golden State wither on the vine.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Borchardt
You would need a nuclear reactor to get enough power to pump water from the Mississippi to Lake Powell. It ain't downhill.

Better yet, Newsom will use wind turbines! According to Newsom and Pelosi, wind turbines are more reliable than nuclear energy! So relax, our liw IQ government has your back!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Moot point building a pipeline. The most recent study (3 days old) by the global warming “scientists” predict a mega flood for California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-california-new-study-says/10308979002/

Global warming is causing both drought and wildfires, but on the other hand will also cause historic rainfalls.

Seriously, you couldn’t even make this $nit up if you tried.

Last edited by Stammster; 08/15/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stammster
Moot point building a pipeline. The most recent study (3 days old) by the global warming “scientists” predict a mega flood for California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-california-new-study-says/10308979002/

Global warming is causing both drought and wildfires, but on the other hand will also cause historic rainfalls.

Seriously, you couldn’t even make this $nit up if you tried.

Hope it washes the sumbiches out to sea.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (300jimmy, 41rem, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.