Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A gunsmith and I removed a barrel from a 110 Savage 270 to remove the 308 case. No rifle damage.

When the 308 was introduced, one magazine article said it could be fired in a 30-06 in an emergency. The straighter 308 case holds the case against the bolt face. When fired, it expands to a nearly straight case with what looks like a roll crimp on the end where it meets the 30-06 shoulder. Many years later I found some cases exactly like this at a shooting range.

Bruce

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
How often does this. A person fires an 30-06 cartridge down an 270win or 280 chamber/barrel? Or maybe an 308win down an 7-08?

This has had to have happened at some point? I'm curious about the obvious outcomes. I guess one should be extra vigilant when having similar cartridges based on similar cases. I've not thought of it much but now that I'm older it scares me a bit.
I don't believe any of those scenarios you described are possible based on cartridge and chamber dimensions. That said, there are a number of actually possible errors in putting the wrong cartridge in a chamber. And, like the proverbial infinite number of [bleep] in front of the infinite number of typewriters, every possible mismatch of cartridge to chamber will eventually happen. And get fired. Most of the time nobody will get hurt and the gun might still be ok. Most of the time...
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 08/13/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well I'll be darned. C H I M P S is an auto censored term. I wonder why. Here's an experiment.
[bleep]
[bleep]
monkey
That's all.
Rex

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Why in the heck can a site with forums dedicated to African hunting not allow the posting of the words C H I M P or C H I M P A N Z E E and yet allow MONKEY? What on earth is the problem with that?

Rex

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The only time I mixed up ammo was with 300 Savage and .308. Was alternating between rifles at the range, had boxes of both ammo open on bench. Fired a 300 Sav out of the .308. Case came out like bcp described above, the 300 Sav case fireformed into a straight wall with a roll in like a crimp at the mouth. It actually worked fairly well, hit 100 yd target about 6 inches lower than the correct .308 impacts. Didn't try again too see how it would group! Probably one of the safer ammo screwups. Make of point of not having different ammo open on bench since then.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wswolf
I once fired a .257 Roberts cartridge in a .270 (Model 760).
Smoke came out of the action, which was a pretty good clue that something was wrong.
Turned out the .257 case had been formed from a .270 and was in a box with .270 ammunition with the same headstamp. Upon further examination we found that the box held .270 factory loads, .257s that had been formed from the same brand of .270 brass and .257s that had been formed and loaded but had not been trimmed, i.e. cases left the same length as .270 cases. It is the most egregious example of handloading that I have ever seen.
The rifle and ammunition were recently purchased by a friend at an estate sale.

I make sure to keep headstamp accurate brass in my supply. I have too many calibers and too much time between shooting certain guns to have ammo with inaccurate headstamps around. I could make .280ai out of 280, but dont, etc.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m calling bullscheit on the .30-06 / .270 scenario. First of all, the neck of the .30-06 will not allow it the chamber on a .270 without the aid of a sledgehammer. Secondly, the .270 Win shoulder and headspace datum is farther forward and won’t chamber in said .30-06. If you don’t believe that, check the SAAMI specs. They are online and free.

Forming .257 Roberts cases from .270 looks to be quite the chore with all the required trimming. That fellow’s stupidity probable earned a Darwin Award and a reason for the estate sale by his heirs.

Hint: Never buy unsealed powder or handloads at garage or estate sales unless you intend to pull the bullets and charges and just salvage the brass.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bcp
A gunsmith and I removed a barrel from a 110 Savage 270 to remove the 308 case. No rifle damage.

When the 308 was introduced, one magazine article said it could be fired in a 30-06 in an emergency. The straighter 308 case holds the case against the bolt face. When fired, it expands to a nearly straight case with what looks like a roll crimp on the end where it meets the 30-06 shoulder. Many years later I found some cases exactly like this at a shooting range.

Bruce

I've seen this too, or rather the fired cases but not the actual firing event. I was told that the extractor held the case against the bolt face - it was an ex-mil Mauser. Accuracy was reported as terrible.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grandfather had a rem 742, the old "jamma-matic", but his never had any issues. His buddy had a 270 bolt action. sighting in the 742, my grandfather accidently loaded some 270 rounds and sent them through his 742. He was pissed, " this gun won't shoot for crap". It was on target then completely miss target. Then he realized what was happening and put a 30-06 round in and hit dead center. so its possible, at least for that gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

I've seen this too, or rather the fired cases but not the actual firing event. I was told that the extractor held the case against the bolt face - it was an ex-mil Mauser. Accuracy was reported as terrible.

I did it so yes it is possible. I was doing a velocity test between and Winchester M70 .308 and and FN commercial Mauser in 30-06. Bullet brand was the so boxes looked exactly alike. Some how I shot three rounds of .308 in that Mauser and the bullets all fell into the group the 06 had made. Accuracy was just fine. No damage to the rifle but some to my ego. Must have had my head in a warm dark place.
Test was between 180 gr. Winchester Power Point ammo with 180 gr. round nose bullets. Average velocity for the .308 was 263 2610 FPS.0 FPS. For the 06. Both rifles had 22" barrels. I can only speak for the loads mention. Results from other brand ammo and various bullet weights may vary considerably.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Most of the wrong ammo is obvious. Anyone old enough to remember all the warning about 8mm ammo in 30/06 rifles? A more modern example is the 300 BO will chamber and fire in many AR-15's. I have helped take several apart where the upper was trash. Also saw a TC contender in .223 after firing a 300BO with no apparent damage. I always wondered how long the bullet was when it exited the barrel. Guys, pay attention the old advice about only one caliber ammo on the bench at a time is good advice. In this time of shortages I often make brass for unobtainable cal. i.e 6mm ARC from 6.5 Grendel. When ever I do this I mark the extractor
groove with a sharpie. Reminds me when I pick up the case to load it to make sure it is what I think it is. The sharpie stays through several case cleaning and takes very little time to reapply.

Last edited by pavementends; 08/14/22. Reason: added info

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
How often does this. A person fires an 30-06 cartridge down an 270win or 280 chamber/barrel? Or maybe an 308win down an 7-08?

This has had to have happened at some point? I'm curious about the obvious outcomes. I guess one should be extra vigilant when having similar cartridges based on similar cases. I've not thought of it much but now that I'm older it scares me a bit.

WOW! +P+

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
How are you going to get a cartridge with a .30 caliber bullet to go in a chamber that has a smaller neck?

300 BO/ enough said

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad accidentally grabbed the wrong box and shot 7mm mag out of his 300 win mag. I think he did 3 rounds and knew something was not right and caught it.
I guess he fire Formed some brass on accident.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by devnull
How are you going to get a cartridge with a .30 caliber bullet to go in a chamber that has a smaller neck?

The bullet doesn't reach the throat or is set back when closing bolt.
If it is set back that means you would have to push pretty damn hard, a 30-06 isn't going to chamber in a 270 regardless, case neck would have to be squeezed down as well, try that with a bullet in the neck, ain't happening. .031 difference in neck/bullet diameter.

If a bullet in a 30-06 doesn't reach the neck area of a 270 there are other issues.

Same case so even an empty 30-06 brass shouldn't allow for closing of a bolt in a 270 chambered rifle.

A 280 won't chamber in a 270, shoulder is farther forward on the 280.

I could possibly see an SA cartridge chambered in an LA gun but even then the bullet/neck diameter would have to be smaller than neck area of the LA chambering,, that is as long as the SA cartridge reaches the neck area which even a 2.8" 308 based cartridge should.

If this is confusing somebody they probably shouldn't be messing with firearms.

at the expense of pissing other folks off.... there are people on this web site, that shouldn't be messing with firearms or anything else that could go KaBoom....like handloading for starters...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Given the position of the shoulder and neck, a .308 in a .30-06 sounds like a bad idea to me. Because of lack of headspace, I wouldn't think it would align the bullet well at all.

What I wouldn't have any issue doing in a pinch would be firing a .300 Win Mag (or .300 H&H) in a .300 Weatherby chamber, but those three cartridges can headspace off the belt and have enough length to align the neck with the chamber.

I've never had to do it, but have always liked the .300 Weatherby for a traveling hunting rifle for this reason.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/15/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something like this happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. I’ll text him tomorrow to confirm, and I’ll repost any correction if needed, but I believe this was the scenario…

Three rifles at the bench, trying to tune them in, and he ends up putting a .300 win mag into his 7 STW built on a Sako action and firing it! He said by the noise, and feel of the rifle, he knew something weird just happened. He needed a hammer to get the bolt open, case head came out with bolt, took the rifle back to our gunsmith buddy who built it, to get the rest of the case out. Talk about a quick bore lapping! He makes it a point now…1 gun, and it’s ammo on the bench at a time!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Darryle

300 BO/ enough said
Originally Posted by Darryle

300 BO/ enough said
Wasn't part of the OP that's using a 308 based or 30-06 based cartridge comparison.

Stick a 300 BO in something with a larger case head the cartridge stands a pretty good chance of not even going off as there is nothing holding it back to the bolt face.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by devnull

The bullet doesn't reach the throat or is set back when closing bolt.
If it is set back that means you would have to push pretty damn hard, a 30-06 isn't going to chamber in a 270 regardless, case neck would have to be squeezed down as well, try that with a bullet in the neck, ain't happening. .031 difference in neck/bullet diameter.

If a bullet in a 30-06 doesn't reach the neck area of a 270 there are other issues.

Same case so even an empty 30-06 brass shouldn't allow for closing of a bolt in a 270 chambered rifle.

A 280 won't chamber in a 270, shoulder is farther forward on the 280.

I could possibly see an SA cartridge chambered in an LA gun but even then the bullet/neck diameter would have to be smaller than neck area of the LA chambering,, that is as long as the SA cartridge reaches the neck area which even a 2.8" 308 based cartridge should.

If this is confusing somebody they probably shouldn't be messing with firearms.

at the expense of pissing other folks off.... there are people on this web site, that shouldn't be messing with firearms or anything else that could go KaBoom....like handloading for starters...
Have always known this just being around other shooters.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading all this, I don't know how I've survived for 40 years shooting the 22-250, 243 Winchester, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Remington, 7x57, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 8x57, and 35 Whelen cartridges.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.