Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1337878279...=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

I use the tool above for the plunk test.
Also the gray box RCBS dies expander plug looks the same as a Lyman m die expander.
I tried almost everything the prevent the shaving of lead while seating the bullet. My newest die is the Redding expander which is coated. Seems to be working fine. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Partagas
I had to add a fourth crimp die. The seating crimp rcbs did couldn't get it set right to do it all in one operation. Now I seat and then run through a crimp die. I'm using the Lee factory crimp.

The Lee Factory Crimp die is the answer, I'm sure. I don't load any of my pistol ammo without one. Makes them 100% reliable. YMMV..

No issues at all with my 3 die RCBS set. I have found it preferable to seat the bullet to the desired depth using the seating/crimp die and then back off the seater plug and set the taper crimp in a second pass.This is only applicable if you are using a single stage press though. I have set it for 0.469" at the mouth since Bill Wilson recommended it in his book 30 years ago.

No real need for a Lee crimp die. BSA is always over complicating things... grin.

If you are using your seating/crimp die in two passes isn't that basically turning it into a 4 die set, with the added complication of adjusting the die between seating and crimping? Sure you can minimize adjustments by doing them in larger batches but I figured it would be easier to just use a fourth die to crimp even if it was another rcbs die or something. The LFCD just seemed like a well reviewed option so that is what I went with. I just put it in an RCBS jr press so I don't have to readjust and can just go from one to the next. I would like to get a progressive at some point though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is correct. As I said, the extra die is not really needed unless using a progressive. The RCBS die I have makes a perfect taper crimp and I used to load in batches of 1000 so a quick adjustment was no big concern.

Sounds like you have your system working now, so all is good.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Loaded 10 more ACPs. All functioned fine. Maybe when I was loading that batch, I did not pay enough attention to detail. Shot 10 of the old ones in my .45 acp revolver day before and they all worked fine, but the revolver may be more forgiving of errors in seating depth of the primers. Thanks for all the help.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you're getting it sorted out.

I had used a progressive that I didn't like, it seemed too easy to tie up. Found about close to 1000 rounds of .45 ACP I had loaded on it and set aside back in the early '90s. Had one high primer and one with no powder when I shot through that batch, so that was better than I thought it would be.

Quit using that and bought a Dillon 550C. Night and day difference.

Hope your improvements continue.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some good info on this thread. A neighbor asked if he could have some of my cast and coated 45 bullets. I gave him some and he had all kinds of problems starting with sticking a tight fitting load in the chamber of his new gun. He's a former Ranger sniper special forces guy too but hadn't heard of the kerplunk test with just the barrel.

I inquired as to his process and he didn't use an expander at all. He just figures the case will cut the bullet to size. That particular mold casts a little out of round but they work fine in my gun unsized but I flare the mouth and then taper crimp it back down which sizes it a bit. I told him I'd size some with my push through if he wants to try again but he needs to start using an expander instead of shaving the coating off with the case mouth.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/15/22.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.