Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by kappa8
Chip issue isn't going away until early- to mid-2023. Build trucks & park them; you can't makeup profit for a truck you never built, but you can plug in a chip later after it becomes available. In Detroit alone Ford had 30K+ pickups parked, but that number has been whittled down as chips arrive. And just in time for a potential recession and escalating interest rates making expensive trucks even less affordable. Talk about the perfect storm. LGB.

I guess I don’t understand why you can order a new truck and get it, while there are trucks already made and undeliverable because they have no chips?

They’re using the available chips for trucks that already have a buyer, no risk of a truck sitting on a lot for a month waiting for a buyer?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Grumman
I’ve heard of several people not taking the trucks they ordered once they come in. I found one on the lot built in mid June, I bought it late June. One was right beside it that the guy who ordered backed out on. That seems to be helping with the back log.

I've heard this too. People with FOMO got on the list "just in case" and now it's time to buy and they bail. Didn't really want/need a new rig.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Ford dealer here shows 12 pickups on their lot. Not a single real truck in the bunch. They're all short beds grocery haulers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by kappa8
Chip issue isn't going away until early- to mid-2023. Build trucks & park them; you can't makeup profit for a truck you never built, but you can plug in a chip later after it becomes available. In Detroit alone Ford had 30K+ pickups parked, but that number has been whittled down as chips arrive. And just in time for a potential recession and escalating interest rates making expensive trucks even less affordable. Talk about the perfect storm. LGB.

I guess I don’t understand why you can order a new truck and get it, while there are trucks already made and undeliverable because they have no chips?

They’re using the available chips for trucks that already have a buyer, no risk of a truck sitting on a lot for a month waiting for a buyer?

The demand is greater than that. People want those trucks, they would sell if they were on a lot somewhere in America…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So you order and get a 2021 truck in mid late 2022, one that has sat for 10-15+ months.

Woo-Hoo, good times!

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used lots all of a sudden have lots of vehicles on the lot again around here. It's not so much that supply is increasing, demand is dropping on recession fears and increased interest rates. Since most people buy on payments, not price, doubling the interest rate pushes that payment up a couple of hundred a month, even when stretched to 7 years and more.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A fairly local Chevy dealer here says they have 34 Duramax 2500's at this time. A low number for them. They've been known to be the 4th largest Chevy Truck dealer in the nation.

Ya want a High Country? they have a few, about $84,000 ea.

And I also saw the F250's in storage east of Louisville. The entire property at Ky. Speedway covered with Furds.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Wonder if the chip thing is still an issue??

I bet there are close to 2000 F-150 s sitting on a huge lot just up the street from where I work.

Also wondering if the slow down is people waiting for the stuff to hit the fan in the next 6 months to 1 year.

That lot has been on and off full for close to a year. That sound about right to you?

He went over yonder way
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just spoke to my friend that ordered a 2022 last November. He said his order will now move to a 2023 without any priority. He said it may be another year before he sees the F450 he ordered if that soon. It is a total mess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it Chrysler/Fiat can deliver new vehicles in a few months of being ordered, yet ford is a year or more out?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is puzzling, you would think the manufacturers would want to sell every available truck, yet it sounds like they hey are trying to create their own shortage.

With electric cars being pushed so hard these days, you would think that Detroit and big oil would be more involved with the cost of fuel and availability of trucks…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It could be that the chips Ford needs run critical systems. I know GM and Dodge are selling with the option to go back to the dealer and have the missing chips installed. Those chips run non critical functions like heated steering wheel, park assist, and DMF.

Just a guess.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Hate to get a ‘22 (or ‘21) model year when the ‘23’s are hitting. They going to cut you a deal on a 2 year old truck selling as “new”?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Or the demand is dying. I did a quick check today and found 3 Chevy Duramax 2500 LT trucks for $62,000.00. I called Dave Smith and they have 1 2500 LTZ for $70,000.00.

In January, I couldn’t find a single truck over 1/2 ton in the entire western US. Dave Smith said that GM has decided that they will build trucks as they get orders, and maybe not deal with filling lots with trucks anymore.

The news isn’t worth listening to, Biden has wrecked the American economy and what once made America great has been diminished to bicycle riders and people smeared with tattoos.

All of a sudden, robbing a bank doesn’t sound like such a bad idea…

People are running out of money and have maxed out their 4 to 6 credit cards and can't fit an $800 a month truck payment in their budget under this Biden economy. Plus their net worth ( house value) has started to plummet and people are slowly waking up.

You'll start seeing lot more inventory and sales in a few months like in 2010

Last edited by ribka; 08/16/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple truck groups I belong to have been reporting they have gotten their trucks (in this case GM and Chevy) without the chips that control certain functions like heated seats and other options and GM has given them a credit until the chips come in and they will be installed at the dealership at a later date... sounds kind of sketchy to me but the demand for trucks hasn't really slowed down and a lot of guys are taking what deals they can to get a truck these days...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Recent upward swing in fuel probably didn't help much. It's coming down but still...

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
And I also saw the F250's in storage east of Louisville. The entire property at Ky. Speedway covered with Furds.
Last I heard, Ford cleared out the KY Speedway by sending all the trucks to crushers for scrap.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With electric cars being pushed so hard these days, you would think that Detroit and big oil would be more involved with the cost of fuel and availability of trucks…
How is it that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of chips for electric cars?

Politics is War by Other Means
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I work in the industry. Ford availability has been better the Ram or Chevy/GMc with the exception of Superdutys. Superduty F250 and F350 stopped shipping at all for almost 6 months. Most ford dealers of decent size have 35-60 vehicles on the ground. Just cause their website says they have 34 doesn't mean there are 34 on the ground. Many of the dealer groups pool their inventory on all their websites. For example: if they have 10 chevy dealerships they may show 100 available but the reality is most dealers might have 10. they also started showing "in Transit" and in production vehicles on their website which could take 1-6 months to get there.

Toyota inventory comes in spurts. A dealer near me that sold 320 new last month currently has 4 on the ground. supposed to have several hundred coming this month but they have not showed up yet.

Cars can sit at the port for several reasons: waiting on chips, recalls, lack of trucks/drivers to deliver them. The ports are now allowing dealers to bring a van load of guys and self deliver 5-10 vehicles at a time because of a lack of drivers.

the small town dealers are really being hurt by lack of vehicles. I know of two small dealers with Zero new 1500 trucks on the ground.

used car inventory has increased and prices are coming down. interest rates and inflation is killing credit scores for the past 2 quarters now. But you still see 1-2 year old used trucks priced higher than MSRP for a new one. I know of some that are charging $10,000 additional "market adjustments" on top of the listed prices which is illegal in most places. Sad things is there are people lining up to pay it especially for new vehicles in short demand. these people will be buried upside down in vehicle value for years. I cant believe the banks are financing these vehicles.

No one is scrapping new vehicles that is pure BS.

Most dealers have had record profits 8 out of the last 15 months with the other months darn close to records so they are not hurting at all. However if the new inventory situation changes rapidly a lot of used cars are going to sit or be sold at huge losses.

It going to take another year for things to get back to relative normal.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It is puzzling, you would think the manufacturers would want to sell every available truck, yet it sounds like they hey are trying to create their own shortage.

Nope, they can keep the demand WAY up and supply low, then they don't have to discount the new trucks at all. Fifteen years ago, I could look at a newspaper and see adds for the dealers advertising $10-13 thousand OFF sticker price, now they are commanding a premium OVER sticker, for basically the same kind of vehicles. When I bought my last new pickup, I got a $1000 rebate, now they want $4000 OVER sticker. The carmakers are lapping this stuff up.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

195 members (260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 32 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,459
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.