Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a long day of hunting a warm meal is nice. However, I eat very little salt. I was surprised to hear how much sodium 1 MH meal contains! That explains a lot of things as it is all I have had in my limited backcountry hunting. I am not particularly interested in making my own but depending on ease of prep I won't rule it out.

Suggestions?

Ryan

BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you do decide to make your own.
We bought a harvest right freezer dryer last year and while it wasn’t cheap. It’s very easy to use. We bought it to do in addition to canning stuff from the garden and preserving eggs from our chickens, but we have started just making a double batch of whatever my wife is cooking for dinner and freezer drying the leftovers. Even going RV camping it’s a huge weight saver vs ice chests full of food. Still experimenting with it but I’m surprised how much different stuff you can freeze dry at home and still taste good by just adding hot water. As an additional bonus my wife and son have food allergies that between the two of them would make getting a store bought freeze dried meal almost impossible but when we’re freeze drying home cooked meals it’s not a problem.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I take an electrolyte powder containing potassium, magnesium and other trace minerals to help the body regulate the extra sodium in the freeze dried meals. Unfortunately they all have high levels.

I also take fiber pills to help offset the stoppage.

Love to get a freeze dryer, guess have to start saving. I do dehydrate jerky ( I use 1/2 the salt and no nitrates) and fruits to take

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ramen? Throw in a packet of tuna for protein.

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Now that's an idea, I carry the foil tuna packets anyway. Could just add the seasoning to taste.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 78CJ

Now that's an idea, I carry the foil tuna packets anyway. Could just add the seasoning to taste.
they have chicken breast in the foil packs too now.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 78CJ

You could do the same (also with chicken as mentioned by whackem) with couscous.

couscous example

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/17/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like these better than ramen. I empty and throw in zip lock bags Add tuna from a pouch

https://www.costco.com/snapdragon-vietnamese-pho-bowls%2C-2.3-oz%2C-9-count.product.100750761.html

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to go meals has quite a few meals that are pretty low in sodium vs most the other brands. Haven’t ever tried any of them though. Might be worth a try.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never considered how much salt is in my backpacking meals. I eat a lot of Mountain House. You seem opposed to Mtn House so, I have eliminated that from this list of lightweight and nonperishable foods. I have also eliminated Jerky because I think it has a lot of salt.

Oatmeal - Quaker Fruit & Cream (3 packs)

Breakfast Cereal & Milk - Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Life, Milk (dehydrated)

S.O.S. - Slider Rolls, White Gravey Mix (dehydrated)

English Muffins, Margarine & Jelly (café paks)

Cup-O-Noodles (I don't know how much salt is in Cup-O-Noodles. It's Ramen in a Styrafoam cup.)

Protein & Carbs - Peanut Butter, Honey, Tortillas

Chicken Casserole Mix (dehydrated), Chicken (small can), Margarine (café packs)

Velveeta Shells & Cheese, Ham (small can), Margarine (café packs)

Burritos - Refried Beans (dehydrated), Minute Rice (boil-in-bag), Tortillas, Salsa or Taco Sauce (café packs)

NO COOK SNACKS, such as;
Sandwich Crackers
Trail Mix (GORP)
Crackers
Granola Bars
Candy Bars
Cheese Balls, parafin wrap
Dried Fruit
Pop Tarts
Donuts

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the suggestions,

It was mentioned on another thread that there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500mg of sodium in MH meals.

I had only ever ate those in my limited backcountry trips. Always seemed my system would get out of whack. I always attributed it to the altitude. Had never considered salt is why I was curious. I think sodium affects the body differently considering the way it is prepared in meals? You mention Jerky and that is one of the cold items I took. Along with Bacon, and Adams peanut butter rolled up in tortilla shells.

Thanks

Ryan

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hated all of the salt in most of the store packaged meal too.

What I did and would recommend is buying home dehydrator and make your own. You know what you like, you know how much you like, and you know what is in them.

Plenty of sources on how to do it.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just tried my idea, roasted garlic and olive oil couscous with a packet of Buffalo style chicken in it. 900 calories for about 4.50.

Versus a chicken fried rice mountain house with 800 calories for 10.50.....

Cheaper, less sodium, more calories, and probably lighter if you put the couscous in a zip lock.

Tasted alright too

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just tried my idea, roasted garlic and olive oil couscous with a packet of Buffalo style chicken in it. 900 calories for about 4.50.

Cheaper, less sodium, more calories, and probably lighter if you put the couscous in a zip lock.

Tasted alright too

couscous work great and easy and fast to make. Link for the buffalo chicken?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ribka

Tasted alright too

couscous work great and easy and fast to make. Link for the buffalo chicken?

Chicken packets

Even though it may look like cat food when you open them, they arent too shabby...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by KC
I have never considered how much salt is in my backpacking meals. I eat a lot of Mountain House. You seem opposed to Mtn House so, I have eliminated that from this list of lightweight and nonperishable foods. I have also eliminated Jerky because I think it has a lot of salt.

Oatmeal - Quaker Fruit & Cream (3 packs)

Breakfast Cereal & Milk - Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Life, Milk (dehydrated)

S.O.S. - Slider Rolls, White Gravey Mix (dehydrated)

English Muffins, Margarine & Jelly (café paks)

Cup-O-Noodles (I don't know how much salt is in Cup-O-Noodles. It's Ramen in a Styrafoam cup.)

Protein & Carbs - Peanut Butter, Honey, Tortillas

Chicken Casserole Mix (dehydrated), Chicken (small can), Margarine (café packs)

Velveeta Shells & Cheese, Ham (small can), Margarine (café packs)

Burritos - Refried Beans (dehydrated), Minute Rice (boil-in-bag), Tortillas, Salsa or Taco Sauce (café packs)

NO COOK SNACKS, such as;
Sandwich Crackers
Trail Mix (GORP)
Crackers
Granola Bars
Candy Bars
Cheese Balls, parafin wrap
Dried Fruit
Pop Tarts
Donuts

Donuts? I think we can be friends!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'll start with the caveat that I follow a high fat, low carbohydrate approach to nutrition, avoid grains in my diet, and am not averse to salt. YMMV.

I've made my own dehydrated food before but usually time constraints prevent this so I usually rely on various pre-made meals that I've listed below. Also, I rely heavily on egg based freeze dried meals since most of them (not all) tend to not have any added grains and are the best bang for the buck on a caloric basis in my experience.

In the back country I usually run a combination of an instant Keto/Bulletproof coffee, freeze dried meals, dried or smoked meats and pemmican, plantain chips and some nuts and dried fruits(very limited amounts), and a protein supplement to have with dinner. I also have experimented with taking butter, ghee, tallow, and butter of the gods in with me to add to freeze dried meals to up the fat content.

Freeze dried brands Brands I'm using this year.

Heathers Choice
Peak Refuel - double portions in each pouch and the chicken coconut curry is delicious.
Outdoor Pantry

Those I've used in the past

Packit Gourmet
Pinnacle Foods
wild Zora
Mountain House

Brands I'm aware of but have not tried or used yet.

Stowaway Gourmet
Backpackers Pantry
Good2Go
Trailtopia
Alpine Aire
Mary Janes Farm

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If anyone can keep down the Heather's choice salmon chowder I can probably round up some for you. I would rather eat cat food.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ryan: Check out freezer bag cooking. Make your own dehydrated from health food store (not freeze dried) ingredients. Don't last as long as freeze dried but are way cheaper and you control the salt.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use a commercial freeze dried meal, divide it into two or three bags, add instant rice, beans, potatoes etc so I have a full meal. This reduces the salt/spice level.

I use plastic bags made specifically for adding boiling hot water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (35, 32_20fan, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.