Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
And what does it offer that you can’t find in an existing cartridge?

Like that it's a std. length action cartridge, w/o the rebated rim of the shoe-horned SA 6.8 Western.

GR

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Should be ballistic magic....

I'm thinking it would a modernization of the 7mm RM (a personal favorite), updated shoulder and no belt. Much like the 300 WM could use, no belt, 30 degree shoulder, .308 neck. Not necessarily better ballistically, just a better case design. Never liked the way belts stack up and take room in a magazine.

Yeah, I always hated that too. Knowing I could get 3 and 1/8 cartridges in the mag box vs 3. Really chaps my hide!!! Even in my pre 64's that hold 4 and my sporter m1917 that holds 5 magnum cartridges. If I could only get 5 and a 1/4 rounds in, that would be the schidt right there..

Ok, if you're going to take that approach, please tell me the benefit of a belt on any modern cartridge, I understand why it was designed for the 300 H&H but beyond that???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here we go again!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I think it'll benefit from the standard chamber with correct twist, and suited to heavy bullets. About all of the other 7's in that category have to be built.

Not saying it'll change the world as we know it, but it'll do the same thing as a 300 PRC does with a 300 Win. Up until the PRC we basically had to build them and chamber them to work with the longer bullets and add faster twist barrels. The PRC's are a factory option without too much compromise.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the insecure Creedmoor bashers hate PRCs too?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
All it is really designed to do is separate you from your money rfn....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I (and I would argue, the majority of folks) have far more use for a 7mm designed properly in all respects, than for a .458 Win. Mag.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I (and I would argue, the majority of folks) have far more use for a 7mm designed properly in all respects, than for a .458 Win. Mag.

Not many can deny that but it won’t keep the bitching about it below a dull roar… grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 7mm weatherby, a 280AI and either 2 or 3 7mm Rem mags, but will own one of these in the near future. I was already planning on necking up a 6.5 PRC to 7mm and put it in a long action. This seems more better. If there is quality brass, the other 7mm mags will go away.

CK
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I'm of the opinion 7mm projectiles are Goldilocks for NA game. Hopefully Hornady can get the 7mmPRC off the ground like they did for 6.5C; a difficult task during an ammo and component storage....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

Not many can deny that but it won’t keep the bitching about it below a dull roar… grin

laugh

True.
And true.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Should be ballistic magic....

I'm thinking it would a modernization of the 7mm RM (a personal favorite), updated shoulder and no belt. Much like the 300 WM could use, no belt, 30 degree shoulder, .308 neck. Not necessarily better ballistically, just a better case design. Never liked the way belts stack up and take room in a magazine.

Yeah, I always hated that too. Knowing I could get 3 and 1/8 cartridges in the mag box vs 3. Really chaps my hide!!! Even in my pre 64's that hold 4 and my sporter m1917 that holds 5 magnum cartridges. If I could only get 5 and a 1/4 rounds in, that would be the schidt right there..

Ok, if you're going to take that approach, please tell me the benefit of a belt on any modern cartridge, I understand why it was designed for the 300 H&H but beyond that???

The belt doesn't hurt a damn thing. Is there a benefit to having one, no. IF you buy a good rifle, such as the ones I gave examples of, feeding will be excellent and you will have no other issues regarding the belt. Again, IF you say you can get more cartridges in the magazine box with a non belted magnum, like this 7PRC, you are smoking something. Really grasping at straws there. To be exact, the body diameter at the base is the same as the diameter of the belt on the 7mm rem mag, 7 mashburn, 7 WBY, 7 Practical etc.. etc.. So there is no gain or increase in the amount of cartridges you can put in the magazine. Also the feeding tendencies of these new cartridges is not as slick/smooth, due to having almost no body taper. When the WSM's first came out, there were many complaining about that, some companies struggled to get cartridges to feed properly, but companies keep producing them that way. Again, if you, "Never liked the way belts stack up and take room in a magazine", then it may be more of a rifle problem, because I've never experienced anything like that to complain about. Now, I'm in agreement with some of the posters here, that ammo manufactures should be focusing on what they already have out there and not waste precious resources on some new fad that may or may not be around too long. Only because right now we are dealing with component shortages, just the fu cked up times we live in. We've all seen the demise of a lot of other short fat cartridges because guys try them and find out their trusty ol 7mm rem mag does just as well. There was not really a lot to be gained by these new fandangled cartridges, based off of the century old 404 Jeffry parent case, except you could get long magnum performance from a short action rifle. That was the biggest selling point, and still stands as a good reason to go short/fat.
Not saying the 7 PRC is one of those. As per usual, Hornady does their homework and this one is twisted right (1 in 8"). That is where the WSM's failed to be superior right out of the gate. Winchester was stuck on old school mentality when it came to twist rates and such. Now we have new high BC bullets everyone wants to sling, so the PRC will have its place if you like using hybrid bullets and shooting way out there. No issues there, but don't tout it as being superior for reasons such as it doesn't have a belt. The PRC will have its place/niche for sure. The question is how many of you actually shoot that type of discipline to take advantage of such a cartridge?
Most all here are hunters, myself included. I'll bring up the thread about how many people actually shoot big game animals consistently past 400 yards, in the gunwriters forum here, that said they do not shoot at game animals at that distance. I don't have the exact numbers, but the majority there said they shoot most of theirs at less than 400 yards. So there is that.

A funny story to share: I go to the local range quite often and I see guys with some of these new PRC's and the new Winchester 6.8 Western. Many of these rifles chambered as such are extreme lightweights as well. A lot of these guys shooting 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Kind of (exactly) like the guy I shot next to last year, at my clubs range, that was using a 338 Lapua magnum, all decked out. He was bragging that he was going to take a bear in the Hells canyon area and the shots would be over 600 yards. I got a kick out of his girlfriend watching through her spotting scope and ribbing him because, "that guy just shot better than you did with irons".. FN cracked me up.. Just because they are touted as being "long range" rifles, does not mean everyone can take advantage of those benefits. You can try for sure, but if you don't have the skill, you might as well be slinging bullets from more traditional cartridges..

Let's put this in a little more perspective for you:
consider my max to be about 400 yards on big game, much prefer under 200.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't need no new-fangled Model T, my horse and buggy does the job just fine. What do you think you're some kind of professional race car driver?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Like that it's a std. length action cartridge, w/o the rebated rim of the shoe-horned SA 6.8 Western.

GR

7mm Magnum performance with the hassle of a belted magnum.

Last edited by BradFord; 08/12/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BradFord
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

7mm Magnum performance with the hassle of a belted magnum.

Std. length action cartridge, long loaded to keep the bullet out of the powder, 78 gr. of water, necked down to .277... think it's what the 6.8 Western should have been.

Won't be buyin' a 6.8W because of it, but would take a very hard look at a M70 chambered in .277 PRC.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the 375 Ruger was first introduced I predicted it would be the parent case for a bunch of 21st century cartridges. The 7mm PRC is just the latest example and a much welcomed one. I've had a Savage 110 action and stock waiting for a 7mm PRC barrel for over 3 years now.

I predict the 7mm PRC will soon be the top selling 7mm cartridge. 2 years, maybe 3.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Belts on a cartridge case are superfluous, they had their purpose but are generally useless for modern cartridges.  As much as the 7mmRM is a personal favorite, a beltless version would be my preference.  The 300 WM could use an updating as well, remove the belt, lengthen the neck and clean up the shoulder.  I do like new and improved but I'm also not against things that work.  If 7mm PRC ammo became readily available, I'd build one tomorrow but I'll wait for the ammo to show up on retail shelves.  On the other hand, I've tried most of the 6.5s and I'll keep my 270 Win as it was designed right from the start.  I do prefer my shots on game to be under 300 yards, under 200 even better, but that doesn't mean that I don't like accurate rifles and well designed cartridge cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So who's gonna be the first 'Fire member to build one on a Rem 700 / 700 clone?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WiFowler
So who's gonna be the first 'Fire member to build one on a Rem 700 / 700 clone?

They might not have to.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll be honest, I want one! I’m going to give it a year or two though and see how am and brass availability is before I buy one though.

My favorite caliber has always been .284/7mm. I’ve sold 2 rifles my entire life a 7mm-08, and 7 WSM, regretted it tremendously. I did eventually replace the 7mm-08, but never the 7WSM. I think the 7 PRC will be my replacement 15 years later.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.