Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Need some ideas for wool hunting clothing. I don’t need it to be hunting specific. Just good cold weather wool for layering. I’ve always used synthetics but want to try some wool layering.

Brand, specific items etc.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Next to skin: Icebreaker, Smartwool. Kuiu makes it but it's too itchy for me.
Next layer up: Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ibex, Kuiu, etc
Outer layers: Woolrich, Filson, Swanndri, Johnson Mills, etc

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to wear a Filson Double mac for deer hunting, but it’s a heavy sonfagun. If not hiking too far, it does make for some toasty stump-sitting; nothing quite feels the same. Fearsomely expensive these days.

I wear the Heck out of the matching Filson wool vest my wife bought me. Adds significant warmth, some pockets, and doesn’t restrict arm movement.

I also have a Bemidji wool jacket in blaze orange. Single-layer 30oz wool. Very nice for milder hunting weather and very quiet. About $250 IIRC

Costco merino wool socks are all I wear, year-round, except when out in very cold weather. Then I wear Realtree Merino wool boot socks. 80% (at least) Merino, over-the calf, made in USA just like the Costco ones. Amazon has them.

When cold enough for wool pants, I have some “German Wool Pants” that came from the old, good, Cabelas when they briefly sold surplus. Not sure if they’re military or other uniform items, but they have canvas pockets and suspender buttons. Before those, when I was thinner, I wore the WWII pants that match the Ike jackets. Paid like $10 for those long ago. If you can find some, they’re excellent.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Chizel and Pappy that is all helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I use Duckworth's "vapor" line for next to skin layer and haven't had the itch

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
And made and sourced in USA

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A guide I once read suggested a layer of silk under any wool.

Retired USAF
NRA Benefactor Member/Golden Eagle
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Johnson Wool

I've use Johnson wool stuff for almost 50 yrs. Don't wear it all the time, but in some weather conditions good wool is still a great choice.
Had a chance to stop at their store last month when I was in Vermont for a couple of days, and picked up a new pair of their wool whipcord pants.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evenin, check out Ghost Wear Canada. Same stuff, way cheaper, even better cheaper with USA funds!!! GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I grew up in NH and a rite of passing for a young hunter was the day that he/she got his/her first Johnaon Woolen Mills plaid jacket and green wool pants.

L.L. Bean, Codet, Labonville, and Woolrich (among others) all sell wool pants and jackets.

If you can find used clothing from Beagle Wool, they are first class. Beagle went out of business some years ago, but their jackets and pants show up on eBay from time to time.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Asbell wool pullovers have been a staple for me for about 8 years now. They're outstanding.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian make some nice stuff but I would look for used on ebay for it. A KOM Bushman is a great hunting shirt/jacket. The vests are also great for cold weather layering.
I picked up a SI Highline shirt like brand new for a song on ebay last year.
Some of my KOM I've been hunting in for 25 years, take care of it and wash it right and it last forever.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
100% merino thermal top and bottom. After that on top is one of my favorite pieces of hunting gear: 100% cashmere sweater. Weighs nothing, never smells, is perfectly quiet, and incredibly warm. A fleece top or rain gear on top of that. Legs get wool hunting pants and rain gear if necessary.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A friend of mine that played for the Green Bay Packers wore a layer or two of ladies pantyhose in cold weather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I buy surplus Military base layer silk like but are synthetic material and military Wool pants on top of them. I have British officer light weight wool and US Army Korea era medium wool and heavy weight German wool. I also have some super heavy USA commercial wool but it has not been cold enough to wear that in a long time. Going the big north woods next year so maybe there.
On top the same base layer and a British Navy wool sweater. Over that depending on weather which jacket I chose. Normally just something to slow the wind down and my Hunting vest is all I need.
With the same trip in mind, I bought two traditional wool jackets, one large, one extra large, that should be warm enough for anything. Both used in great shape out of the classifieds here.

Last edited by Fury01; 09/30/22.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
There is a non-official club of us who use old wool German army pants. The are unbeatable but extremely heavy. There is similar stuff from the Swiss and other countries, but the German ones are the best. There were several companies that made them all to the same specs. Thickness of the wool is key but they also have some plastic woven into a layer from shin, through knees, up to thighs. Good for kneeling in the snow. You can see where that is sewn in on the ones which have it. Look for pockets that have wool flaps covering them and you are getting warm.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BrigGeneralSTU
There is a non-official club of us who use old wool German army pants. The are unbeatable but extremely heavy. There is similar stuff from the Swiss and other countries, but the German ones are the best. There were several companies that made them all to the same specs. Thickness of the wool is key but they also have some plastic woven into a layer from shin, through knees, up to thighs. Good for kneeling in the snow. You can see where that is sewn in on the ones which have it. Look for pockets that have wool flaps covering them and you are getting warm.
Where do you get those German wool pants nowadays?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Egli's Sheep Farm has high quality wool clothing.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bemidji Woolen Mills has good wool clothes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.