Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All and especially John;
Good evening to those of you/us who subscribe to the Rifle Looney News, I hope that the day's been decent to you all.

Spoiler alert here too folks if you've read Eileen's story about hunting communication then stop now or be "spoilered" I suppose.

If you'd be so kind as to thank Eileen for the excellent story John, I really, really enjoyed it on a bunch of levels.

Actually I do believe I'll have my good wife read it too as we used to hunt together and miscommunication happened then too.

One occasion I recall vividly was the time we'd spotted a mulie buck milling in some does. He was standing still as she loaded her rifle and settled in for the shot, but just as she did the little bugger started trotting away.

I try to not cuss too, too much as a matter of course and especially in front of my wife, so as he began to go I muttered harshly, "Shoot, shoot, shoot, the bugger's running" which was answered with a loud crack from her .308 carbine.

Up to that point in her hunting she preferred to shoot standing bucks and I turned and said, "Hey good shooting Tex, I thought you didn't shoot running bucks though?"

Of course she looks at me and replies, "Why then did you say, "Shoot, shoot, shoot?"".... shocked

"Well I sorta meant Sh..t, sh..t, sh..t" says I, "but I wasn't going to cuss and.."

"Well Dwayne, how about next time then you just say sh..t, sh...t, sh...t if that's what you mean? Especially if I'm aiming at something!" laugh laugh

Honest though, it was a pretty good shot at a trotting mulie I thought, you know? Still do...

Eileen's story was a grand one and well told.

All the best to one and all out there tonight.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's some funny stuff BC30cal. I just read your story to my wife. And I concur Eileen's story was a good one too.
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't read the new RLN yet, but I will soon.

Eileen's writing is top drawer IMO. I'm not too interested in the cooking and recipes as I am much more an eater than a cook, but her outdoor stories are always entertaining and well worth reading. I especially enjoyed her story about the dog who turned up his nose at the cupcake or whatever it was when she offered it to him!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
😁 classic !

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Haven't read Eileen's story, but yeah.... miscommunication!

Labor Day weekend - I told my wife on Friday night I would be back Sunday night if I didn't have a moose down that needed care. If I did get a moose, "Don't expect me until Monday night." She processed half of it.

Monday morning she alerted the Troopers that I was "missing". A guy that I had hunted with before ( the year before I had gotten us thoroughly lost out there, but made a nice recovery using "creative navigation"), at the gate, told the Trooper looking over my rig that I was experienced and either OK, or dead- and not to worry himself about it.... and the Trooper took his word.

I was actually packing out the smallest spike bull I've ever killed , 3 heavy loads, 5 miles OW to the truck. It was only a half mile to a float plane lake where I could have had the meat flown out. That was the plan until I saw how small bodied the 16" spike was.... but I had more time than money. And I am cheap..

After that, I never "told" her , or others if applicable, my plans. I wrote them down, preferably with a map, routes, and circles for camp sites.

As Jack Ryan's physician wife said, "If isn't written down, it never happened".

Last edited by las; 08/17/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
las;
Good afternoon sir, thanks so much for the reply and instructive story.

Your experience is exactly why I've been doing the very same thing for years now.

We keep a notebook on the island in the kitchen. If the pickup is gone in hunting season, there's detailed notes of where I'm going, where I'll park, which way I intend to walk and when I intend to be back.

That reminds me too that I've got to install a gps app on my wife's phone that will enable me to share the coordinates of some of my usual spots with her. I had that with a Garmin Etrex for years where she could go to the PC I'm on now, pull up the Etrex program and be able to see most of the places I'd be hunting that fall.

It's a really good idea on a bunch of levels to do written instructions though for sure. We teach that to students in the Hunter Safety class in fact, as it at least gives the local Search & Rescue volunteers a starting point.

Thanks again for the timely reminder as it's hunting season in two weeks down here.

All the best and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good stories, gents. I love reading Eileen's stories about as much as John's. Excellent writing, ability to get the point across, and great humor. We're lucky to have them.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
I try to not cuss too, too much as a matter of course and especially in front of my wife, so as he began to go I muttered harshly, "Shoot, shoot, shoot, the bugger's running" which was answered with a loud crack from her .308 carbine.

Up to that point in her hunting she preferred to shoot standing bucks and I turned and said, "Hey good shooting Tex, I thought you didn't shoot running bucks though?"

Of course she looks at me and replies, "Why then did you say, "Shoot, shoot, shoot?""..Dwayne

"Well I sorta meant Sh..t, sh..t, sh..t" says I, "but I wasn't going to cuss and.."

"Well Dwayne, how about next time then you just say sh..t, sh...t, sh...t if that's what you mean? Especially if I'm aiming at something!"

Hi Dwayne,

We're both glad you liked Eileen's story!

I would like to pass along a sort-of-similar story about Elmer Keith. I have talked to more than one of the editors who worked on Elmer's manuscripts, which were pounded out on a manual typewriter. He was not the best typist in the world, and according to more than one of those guys, when he meant to type "shot" he often hit the "i" key, which on typewriter and computer keyboards is right next to the "o" key. This often changed the meaning of the sentence considerably. Imagine this one, for instance, with an i instead of an o:

"The shot landed exactly where aimed."

Hope you are all doing well in your beautiful, Montana-neighbor province!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John;
laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the afternoon laugh sir, I appreciate it and the reply.

After all though, aren't we all happy when "The shot landed exactly where aimed"??? laugh laugh

I had an Appy mare who could sorta do that, but that's another story for another time.

All the best to you both this upcoming hunting season John.

Dwayne

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Bruce,

Thanks for the positive "review"!

I just reread QUEEN OF THE LEGAL TENDER SALOON, probably 20 years since my last time--and couldn't put it down. That was even though I read it several times while she was tweaking the manuscript for publication.

We're both looking forward to seeing you this fall!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really liked Eileen's story, too. My wife doesn't hunt but she does miscommunicate real well.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Assuming Eileen writes the text of her own cookbooks, I’ve long thought that JB might be the second best writer in the family. Apologies in advance if this creates any friction in the household 🤭

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now I had to go and order Eileen's book.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
242 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.