Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I'm having difficulty determining which ground blind would be best for me. Blind will be for rifle hunting only, 2 people. I want to be able to stick my muzzle outside the blind for shots without having to open/close or reconfigure windows.

What are some good blinds that are made for rifle hunters?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Almost all of them.

I have a few Ameristep blinds. But we like the ones from Barronett as well. I think I have 3 Barronetts and 2 Ameristeps.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Almost all of them.

I have a few Ameristep blinds. But we like the ones from Barronett as well. I think I have 3 Barronetts and 2 Ameristeps.

Basically this - they're all pretty much the same other than camo and quality of material. IMO.

I got one on sale at Fleet Farm 12 years ago - still use it all the time. Not really a technically complex thing.

Me

P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
What do you like about the barronetts? Which of the 17 models are you talking about?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a few also, I like the Ameristep Brick House. But there are lots of good ones out there. If your tall make sure to get one you can stand up in. I have one that's a little short. I think its a Care Taker. I don't use that one much.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Ameristep and primos. I have about three of each. I feel the primos are better quality in the models I have. I bought both brands on a after season sale over about 4 years. Mine are put out in October and pulled back out in February. A few are showing their age and one broke free of its tie downs ( operator error early on) and has a tear. I didnt expect them to last this long but they have held up to Alabama winters which are wet. I don't sit in them much as I use a couple climbers mostly. But the other guys, gals and kids sit in them. They all have a folding short directors chair in them. I sit in them alone but a lot of the folks double up in them with the wife or kid. They have their purpose but I really like being outside not in a black walled tent.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Build out of plywood, put glass windows you can secure, use curtains to hide yourself. You don’t have to move curtains much to see and shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a couple barronetts also. Big enough for a couple people and enough room to stand up to stretch. I'm 6'1" and plenty of standing room.

P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by hanco
Build out of plywood, put glass windows you can secure, use curtains to hide yourself. You don’t have to move curtains much to see and shoot.

I'll have to research the portability of plywood, glass, and curtains... in the meantime would you recommend a floral pattern drape or should I have my wife sew me something in mossy oak?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prose

I'll have to research the portability of plywood, glass, and curtains... in the meantime would you recommend a floral pattern drape or should I have my wife sew me something in mossy oak?
Good thing you clarified that it needed to be portable.

Any of them that don't have velcro to hold the mesh closed. You will want some kind of silent mesh attachment.

My pard had an older Double Bull that had some kind of slider deal that ran vertical to let you adjust the mesh, best set up I have seen on a blind so far.

I have an Ameristep Caretaker Magnum. Velcro 100% of the way around the mesh. It sucks. Mainly just leave the mesh unattached in a few windows.

The problem is there are no stores which will have a bunch of brands and models set up for you to look at.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/18/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have some Primos Double Bull ground blinds and think that they are good blinds, good quality, good design, and durable (so far). If I needed to buy a ground blind today, I would buy another Primos Double Bull. I wouldn't want to carry it very far in rugged terrain, but for the small woodlots and cut bean/corn fields that I hunt over, they have worked well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

LMAO. Not everybody hunts of corn feeders.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone

LMAO. Not everybody hunts of corn feeders.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

hanco, hanco, hanco...

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cannot speak to the Barronett but it seems a lot of folks speak highly of them.

My Double Bull blinds are ancient (long before Primos) but they've served me well - they're built pretty taught/stout.
If adding another, I'd be hard-pressed to look beyond that brand but I'm sure there are other players on the scene these days.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the windows on barronetts can be a PIA. One of mine supposedly seats 4, I'd say 3 with seats. You need a to put in a center support of you live in a climate with snow. Collapses easy with weight.

No big deal, I pull the post out when I'm sitting and put it back in when I leave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an amerstep and 2 years ago got the rhino, much better blind.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow! You guys leave your blinds in the woods and nobody steals them???

I know that to be effective, they should be set up prior to the season opener, but that ain't happening in the Jersey woods. Those blinds would be gone in no time, along with trail cameras and anything else left behind.

I have an Ameristep doghouse. Only room inside for one hunter, and like a Chinese puzzle to get back into its bag. I've had to perform that trick during a gully washer of a rainstorm in the dark once. It doesn't get used much any more.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the feedback. The double bull is the one I have considered buying on a few occasions.

The Muddy Preview is another one that has really high marks. Can anyone speak to the ability to open windows and shoot without making a lot of noise?

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I been contemplating building a natural one out of sticks and logs

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.