Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m considering trying to get one of these, if possible in CA.

Does anyone have any other ideas on CC revolvers in 357/38? I may use it in bear country too.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My daughter is carrying my 2.5" Model 19 .357 in a Milt Sparks right now, loaded with 170 hard cast Keith loads. She is working as a cowboy/wrangler for an outfitter/guide outfit in Idaho back country. Actually the first two chambers are snake shot followed by 170 Keiths hard cast loads. I think it is a fairly good setup.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m also considering a ruger in a similar setup.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a snub nose Model 29 for sale once. No thank you........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would prefer a 4". But with loads like Mac's 170's or some of the 180 gr. wide flat points I would think you would get enough penetration to do the work. Shot placement is King, penetration is Queen and all else is gravy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I’m also considering a ruger in a similar setup.

Nothing wrong with the old model Security Six in that same barrel length. Built like a tank and mine is just as accurate as any of my S&W models.

I’m betting the new model S& W 66 in that barrel length is not on the “CA Approved List”.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2.25” 66-8 or a 2.5-3” 686 plus.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My daughter is carrying my 2.5" Model 19 .357 in a Milt Sparks right now, loaded with 170 hard cast Keith loads. She is working as a cowboy/wrangler for an outfitter/guide outfit in Idaho back country. Actually the first two chambers are snake shot followed by 170 Keiths hard cast loads. I think it is a fairly good setup.

Herrett’s stocks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, JB, I already spoke for those grips! Butt out Mister! smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sure. I don’t know about getting one in CA but I do know it’d make a great dual purpose pistol. I carry a 2” M15 in town and when bow hunting, fishing, mushroom picking, or whatever else.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would get a S&W M65. The butt of the gun is the hard part to hide. A M66 has a 2.5" barrel and another 1.5" isn't that much more but gives a better sight radius and better ballistics.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Mack, hearing that your sweet little girl is working out there as an outfitter's wrangler sure makes me feel old! LOL Glad that you set her up with a solid pistola!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the Kimber 357 in 3 or 4 inch are worth a look too......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I’m considering trying to get one of these, if possible in CA.

Does anyone have any other ideas on CC revolvers in 357/38? I may use it in bear country too.

I think a 2 1/2" 357 could do the job ballistically with the right ammo, but I'd look at three other things.

First, I'd make sure that concealed carry is legal where you plan to take it. Given how things are going in California, that could be up in the air sooner rather than later.

Second, ammunition. California requires lead-free ammo for hunting statewide. All-copper bullets need speed to do their best work, and a 2 1/2" barrel might not provide that. Also, it might be legal to use lead ammunition to stop a bear attack if you're camping, hiking, backpacking, etc., but it might not be legal to even possess lead ammunition (for whatever reason) while hunting, and hashing it out in court will be expensive.

Third, make sure that the gun itself is legal where you plan to take it. For example, the Washington regs state:
Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturer's specification, and fire a minimum .24 caliber centerfire cartridge. The minimum for cougar is a .22 caliber centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game.

A modern handgun may be carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game except as described above.

I can see how a 2 1/2" 357 might be OK under the line about personal protection. But the regs also state:
DISPATCHING WOUNDED GAME
A hunter can only use a hunting method that meets the equipment requirements of his/her tag to dispatch wounded game.

To me, that says that a hunter using archery tackle or a muzzleloader cannot use a modern firearm to dispatch wounded game, which makes sense. But I also read it to say that you can only use a handgun to dispatch wounded game if it meets the definition in the first quote, which means a 4" barrel.

I prefer to avoid long philosophical discussions with law enforcement officers who I've just met, so I wouldn't carry anything less than a 4" 357 around here, and most of the time I choose a 4" Model 29-2 or a 5 1/2" New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. But things may be different where you hunt.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 08/18/22.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
Hey, JB, I already spoke for those grips! Butt out Mister! smile

Good luck prying them away…. They look like the Detective model.

My son just picked up a nice 4” 66-1 marked S’Port P.D., LA. Tight as a drum, no flame cutting, timed right, some holster wear but otherwise a good buy at $400.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$400 is a steal in today's market.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If it's in any kind of reasonable condition, that is a steal, indeed. In nice condition, it's a felony.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If it's in any kind of reasonable condition, that is a steal, indeed. In nice condition, it's a felony.

Class A no doubt. He’s got a good eye for old S&W’s, inherited from his old man

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JB in SC

Herrett’s stocks?

Herrett's is still in business, I just ordered three sets of D-45 stocks for my 1911s a couple of weeks ago (already got them, too). They are kind of old-fashioned in their business practices, but you can call them and ask about any grips you might be interested in. 208-733-1498.

Nice folks to do business with.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

Really nice setup. As mentioned above I will load my own copper bullets,, I have two loads, a 160 gr solid, and a 140 gr Lehigh penetrator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.