Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17526927 08/18/22
R
ro1459 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The PA game cameras are finally up and running.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/pa-game-commission-elk-cam

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! Thanks

R
ro1459 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Two more camera's for the PA Game Area:

https://pixcams.com/pa-elk-cam-1/ and https://pixcams.com/pa-elk-cam-2/

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just had it up in the background at work. Someone started yelling. Wonder what that is about?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
Just had it up in the background at work. Someone started yelling. Wonder what that is about?

Obviously, you’re violating the elks’ privacy. For shame!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never really watch it, was trying to find it for a friend this week.
Thought I was doing something wrong.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Always enjoy this, thanks again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I spent quite a bit of time around that country in my teenage years when starting to deer hunt with my father. I remember going thru Bennezette and Medix Run. Family had old hunting camp not far from there with a 99 year lease. This was back in the early 50's. Curtis Wright swallowed up a whole bunch of that country and built a plant to test jet engines I believe. Somehow,they got the state to void the leases and bulldozed all the camps. We a started hunting up, around Renovo then. I guess later all that country was opened back up as my brother was going up there hunting.

My grandson lives in Warren now. My brother is still hanging on in SW PA

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I spent quite a bit of time around that country in my teenage years when starting to deer hunt with my father. I remember going thru Bennezette and Medix Run. Family had old hunting camp not far from there with a 99 year lease. This was back in the early 50's. Curtis Wright swallowed up a whole bunch of that country and built a plant to test jet engines I believe. Somehow,they got the state to void the leases and bulldozed all the camps. We a started hunting up, around Renovo then. I guess later all that country was opened back up as my brother was going up there hunting.

We had a camp near Warren when I was young. Bear hunted many years near Renovo.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

We had a camp near Warren when I was young. Bear hunted many years near Renovo.

I'm a couple years into hunting that area. Still learning. Lots of big woods around. And everything is UP.

Took my first bear in '19 near hyner. Hopefully many more years to hunt and learn

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunted around Hyner many times

Teeder Did you ever get to know Leroy Good. He a managed the YMCA there in Renovo for many years. His him,wife and three daughters, Pat, Donna, and Kay lived in big house further down town. We stayed there when we hunted.They were our next store neighbor before they moved to Renovo .Good people.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I met another hunter on a different forum that invited me to his camp. Been hunting there for a few years now and thankful for the opportunity.

Lots to learn about hunting the big woods though. Allot different than the farm country I'm used to.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Now days,there are more deer and bigger down in the SW PA farm country that the big hardwoods. I still have kin back there on some farms. The shoot a lot of big bucks.My son complains about the deer eating his garden every day. He works at home now,but he says he would see 2-3 deer road kill deer along road several times a week on his way to and from work.My brother lives there. He is too old to hunt anymore,but he put in for one of those PA elk tags every year since they started hunting them with no success.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Enjoy this every year.
Looking forward to it

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Want to get in shape for the Elk season...one can always train by doing The Hyner.....Can be nasty country to bring a Deer out on a rope..

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Buddy has been sending me pics of monster elk somewhere up around DuBois.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's not SUPPOSED to be elk around DuBois......... grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seems he said about a 20 minute drive from his house[Treasure Lake].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
Seems he said about a 20 minute drive from his house[Treasure Lake].

Yep.

20 minutes would put him up between Penfield and Weedville. Elk in that area, for sure. It's really weird where the elk are and aren't.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
He's also sent some pics from his RING of a few monster whitetails eating flowers........
Guessing some are wise enough to live life primarily within the compound.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
Guessing some are wise enough to live life primarily within the compound.

That's where the "age" part of "age, genetics and nutrition" comes from. Bucks that are either smart enough or just plain lucky enough to live in suburbia or a gated community.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Some monster elk here. Cool to see. A few nice bulls made it down close to where I live. We had pics of them close to prince galitizin. The game commission caught wind and quickly relocated the elk back north.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Some monster elk here. Cool to see. A few nice bulls made it down close to where I live. We had pics of them close to prince galitizin. The game commission caught wind and quickly relocated the elk back north.

Monsters, there ARE !!!

Me and Momma took our two oldest kiddos out calling when they were just young. Beautiful September morning. We got about a mile back a forest service road and had a typical 8x9 called to 11 yards (came in totally silent) when he figured us out and spun. I was actually starting to sweat a little. Biggest bull I've ever seen in my life.

A good buddy of mine is a former warden. He was part of a big elk study they did +/- 15 years ago. He verified that some of the herd had been 30 miles SE of Punxsutawney.......just east of Glen Campbell. And I believe it was 2013 a cow took off and ended up just east of Kittanning (just a ways up the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh) where, I think, she got hit on the road.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
8:37pm 8/24/22 Two bulls were on the field at 8:32pm One walked off but 1 bull is left feeding and wearing a collar. Enjoy 24 hr Campfire folks. HH

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
8:44pm 8/24/22 24 Hr folks, got back on the elk field streaming web cam and 5 elk were out and two bull are sparring. The elk wearing a collar is one of them, and he is a larger bull, maybe a 5x5 hard to tell in the lighting. I am pleasantly surprised they are sparring so early, might be a fun viewing night !
Enjoy ! HH

Possibley 4 of the 5 elk on the field at 8:50pm tonight were bulls.

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 08/24/22. Reason: correction
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Monsters, there ARE !!!

Me and Momma took our two oldest kiddos out calling when they were just young. Beautiful September morning. We got about a mile back a forest service road and had a typical 8x9 called to 11 yards (came in totally silent) when he figured us out and spun. I was actually starting to sweat a little. Biggest bull I've ever seen in my life.

A good buddy of mine is a former warden. He was part of a big elk study they did +/- 15 years ago. He verified that some of the herd had been 30 miles SE of Punxsutawney.......just east of Glen Campbell. And I believe it was 2013 a cow took off and ended up just east of Kittanning (just a ways up the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh) where, I think, she got hit on the road.
Very cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted around Hyner many times

Teeder Did you ever get to know Leroy Good. He a managed the YMCA there in Renovo for many years. His him,wife and three daughters, Pat, Donna, and Kay lived in big house further down town. We stayed there when we hunted.They were our next store neighbor before they moved to Renovo .Good people.

No, I didn't know him. We pretty much stayed in camp.

We hunted about halfway between Keating and Renovo, Cooks Run to Kettle creek, mostly. Most of the bear we got were across the Susquehanna. We'd take john boats across early, then drive the hillsides and swails along the river.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

This is what was going on up there in the 50's...Doubt many would like their camp that close to a nuclear reactor in the early days of nuclear development.

https://uncoveringpa.com/jet-bunkers-quehanna-wild-area

The State eliminated the 99 years leases because many of the camps had turned into 99 year old shiitholes and were not being maintained or were abandoned. You can still have a camp lease in Pa, however they are now 10 years leases.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Business/StateForestLeasedCampsites/Pages/default.aspx

Friends own this camp outright on land the original owners purchased in the 30's. Cooks Run flows past the front door. Essentially surrounded by State Forest. The State tried to force them out for years, but the owners backed them down and they finally gave up. Elk come in and stand in the lake and rub their velvet off on the camp corners. You can be in bed sleeping and an Elk will start rubbing on the corner.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Gravity feed water from pipes that originate in a spring up the valley. Has better water pressure than here at home.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet!
I love that area. We stayed right where cooks run dumps into the river.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The original old boys that built the first camp, would have the train leave them off in Sinnamahoning with building materials. And then take Mule wagons up over the mountain on a road they cut, on land they didn't own, with materials to build the original camp. That road eventually became the State road thru the mountain. Until the State started to maintain it, that is how they got to camp every Deer season or when they wanted to go to camp.

Leave the Model T's and A's in Sinnamahoning....Wagon in, wagon out for around 10miles. Often cutting away fall downs to keep going. They were some hard ass boys. Then it was Deer...you never saw an Elk.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meanest mountains PA has, IMO.
I blame them for two bum knees.
The last one went when we were bringing my son's bear out.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=battue]

The State eliminated the 99 years leases because many of the camps had turned into 99 year old [bleep] holes and were not being maintained or were abandoned. You can still have a camp lease in Pa, however they are now 10 years leases

The one my family had sure wasn't no [bleep] hole and it was well maintained. Four different family used it. I didn't know about what type of engines were being tested though I was only 9-10 at the time.

Ironic that I escaped that radiation and ended up at the Nevada Test Site doing Underground Nuclear Test Site. Consequently getting more than my share of radiation. Today, I qualify as a past nuclear worker and I am getting some of my medical care for problems associated with it paid for from the Department of Labor

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/25/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Clinton County can test the best... West Virginia can do the same. The Western States have little to nothing on them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by battue

Clinton County can test the best... West Virginia can do the same. The Western States have little to nothing on them.

Except less oxygen.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is that...however, the best adapt to whichever.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here's one from last year. You'll recognize that apple tree in the background. I'm really hoping to see him THIS year. shocked
ETA - that's a coyote in the background of the second pic. They were all over last year up there.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by bbassi; 08/26/22.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
8:00pm 8/27/22 Two nice bulls on the field just grazing and moving around a little now. HH

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

When did this happen? If it ACTUALLY did, and depending on the timing it sounds pretty likely that the PGC moved wild Cervids from one of their own disease management areas, to another area?... meanwhile hunters can't legally take a deer home in the trunk of their car to process in their own home if they happen to cross the imaginary line on the map.

Please elaborate.

The pgc's cwd regulations are about like the covid mandates. Draconian nonsense to " protect" everyone from a non-threat.

However, IF this really happened it proves that much like our federal government, the rules don't apply to them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck of a show out there right now. 6:30am

6 bulls, some sparring. A couple monsters.

Last edited by Teeder; 08/29/22.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man they have some screwy genetics up there. I don't think this is the same one from last year but I'd bet it's one of his off spring.

Last edited by bbassi; 08/29/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the matter with it?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7:36pm 8/29/22 Web cam is working Okay now 24 Hr Fire members. 4 big bull feeding now, I did hear antlers clacking when I had it minimized a moment , just playing it sounds like ! : ) One bull is exceptionally nice ! Enjoy folks ! HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 08/29/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7:58pm 8/29/22 Camera operator is doing a great job following the group of big bulls, 2 are sparring playfully ! If I was hunting with a group of bulls like this in front of me...I might have a hard rime controlling my emotions... and draw ! HH

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
4:54pm 8/30/22 Big bull on the field ! HH

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice bull on camera

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I spent quite a bit of time around that country in my teenage years when starting to deer hunt with my father. I remember going thru Bennezette and Medix Run. Family had old hunting camp not far from there with a 99 year lease. This was back in the early 50's. Curtis Wright swallowed up a whole bunch of that country and built a plant to test jet engines I believe. Somehow ,they got the state to void the leases and bulldozed all the camps. We a started hunting up, around Renovo then. I guess later all that country was opened back up as my brother was going up there hunting.

It opened back up after the politician ( hard to believe in Pa. I know) that took the bribes to get it closed got found out. I had a camp just east of there between Benezette and Lock Haven. Gave up and sold it because the hunting sucked and the locals pillaged anything worth two nickels... I believe the only thing they test there now is Opiods and Meth

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently 4 bulls on cam. Couple pretty good ones. Two of them sparring a little and picking up some cow talk from off camera.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
6:43 pm Pa time 9/7/22 Big bull lying on the field, and 7 whitetails feeding also. HH

6:55pm 3 bulls on the field and slowly walking off, and up the road. It is amazing how quickly they appear, then walk off. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 09/07/22.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I haven't seen a cow on that field yet this year. The elk in general don't seem to be there like years past. I did see a momma black bear with 3 cubs though the other night, that was pretty cool.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
9/20/22 Quite a few bulls lying and grazing in the field tonight Last evening actually early am around 3:11am two bulls were sparring, but not aggressively. The larger bull was carrying quite the rack. This week should be the better week for fighting aggressively, especially if it cools down. bbassi Congrats on seeing a bear with cubs on the field. Always nice to see a Pa bear with cubs. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 09/20/22. Reason: spelling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Monsters, there ARE !!!

My Father-in Law swears he saw an elk along 22 between Ebensburg and Altoona. Shouldn't have been one there, but there is a farm South, and who knows where or how far a particular animal might wander.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a solo bull in Cresson a few years ago. It was killed by a car. No idea what it was doing that far south.

------------------------
John
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
24 Hour Campfire: Just found this article on the Elk county museum and 15 recommended elk viewing
locations. A well written article and good elk viewing locations. I have found around Sept 20th is a good time for viewing.

https://pabucketlist.com/the-15-bes...WYdsDbs1VhTAY-RWmmA_Mo3sJKF6uwsLZ0NGABKg

Enjoy... especially if you live within driving distances to enjoy this. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 10/03/22. Reason: correction
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I will be there this weekend. Always try to go atleast once a year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 79 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.