Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello everyone.
Thought I'd share a few photos from the last 12 months out with my airrifles.
I'm mainly a one (or two!) for the pot sort of fella shooting mostly rabbits in the fields around my home here in Upper Wensleydale, North Yorkshire.
Although I have .22 air rifles, all the ones in the photos are .177 and all are sub 12ftlb.

The rifles shown are a Diana 280 Classic break barrel with a konus 3-9x32ao. A Air Arms s400f PCP with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 EFR ao and finally a Air Arms ProSport underlever wearing a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 rimfire scope. I've now ditched that scope though and it's just got a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40ao which doesn't whiteout or lose zero like the Vortex.
Anyway hope you enjoy the photos.
Kind regards Barn Owl.

http://https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17527051/air-rifle-hunting-uk#Post17527051

Last edited by BarnOwl; 08/18/22.
BP-B2

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry the photos aren't in my post. I don't really know what I'm doing here!

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
[img]http://https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17527051/air-rifle-hunting-uk#Post17527051[/img]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks fubarski
Very much appreciated.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nicely done, BarnOwl! Thanks Fubarski!
You live in a beautiful place and your photos really show it off!
Sub 12ftlb gets it done!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Beautiful scenery in those pics, and nice shooting 😀

Is air rifle hunting fairly common in rural England?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

IC B3

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by colodog
Nicely done, BarnOwl! Thanks Fubarski!
You live in a beautiful place and your photos really show it off!
Sub 12ftlb gets it done!

Thanks colodog. The limited stopping power of 12ftlb balanced against the rabbits natural instincts of self preservation make for excellent sport. You've just got to get close enough to put that pellet in the right place. smile

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by zcm82
Beautiful scenery in those pics, and nice shooting 😀

Is air rifle hunting fairly common in rural England?
Thanks zcm82.

I don't know anyone else locally who hunts with an air rifle. It's all rimfire for pest control, centre fire for Roe and Fox etc and shotguns for grouse and pheasant. Even on UK airgun forums the hunting sections are mainly rimfire stuff. Whilst air rifles do have a fairly large cult following especially among the more working class, there's still that idea in most people's head that they are for kids before you move on to "proper" firearms. Even my new neighbour the other day said I could come and have a go with his "proper guns" (his words) when he asked if I shot and I said yes and that I hunted with air rifles. It was nice if him to offer but speaking from experience I personally prefer air rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Surprised more folks aren't into air rifles in the UK. I would have thought with all the firearm restrictions there it would be the way to go, plus pellets are cheap as chips.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Surprised more folks aren't into air rifles in the UK. I would have thought with all the firearm restrictions there it would be the way to go, plus pellets are cheap as chips.

Same here.

I actually shoot air rifles way more than rimfires these days because it's so much cheaper and quieter to plink. Plus at the short distances I'm using them at on pests (typically 10-20yds) it doesn't really matter in terms of power.

B
BarnOwl Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Originally Posted by zcm82

Same here.

I actually shoot air rifles way more than rimfires these days because it's so much cheaper and quieter to plink. Plus at the short distances I'm using them at on pests (typically 10-20yds) it doesn't really matter in terms of power.

Maybe in some areas they may be more popular but up here in the Dales it's as I say. Certainly for hunting.
I've never been to the USA but from what I've read online I'd say air rifles are far more popular in the UK than they are in the states and that's no doubt due to the licensing set up here in the UK. However it's not that difficult to get a shotgun certificate. Round here shotguns are very popular.

Anyway I'll have to work out how to post pictures more successfully if I want share my exploits on here!! 🙂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice airguns and shooting

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I found that cottontails will halt in the open when they see me. They make easy prey and are boring to hunt. Ground squirrels are much more difficult to hunt animals and are challenging to hunt.

[Linked Image from ]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,800 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.