Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am help two of our local Scouts, to load up ammo for the rifles that they have been given for making their Eagle ranks..

one has a 223 and the other has a 243.... they picked up bullets per my direction, but bought what was "available"....

53 V Max in 22 caliber... and 70 grain TNT in 6mm.

anyone have any experience with these bullets, in these caliber for taking down deer?

most of our blacktail deer are antelope sized animals...and most shots are within a 100 yds or less...at least on these sized deers.

are they capable of taking down deer? and secondly, for velocity do they have to be slowed down, or fired at the cartridges faster potential range.

any shared experiences would be helpful and appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

johnchr/ seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have no experience with either but both would be about the last that I would choose based off of what they’ve intended for.

I have 20 or so Barnes 55 grain TTX bullets that I’d be happy to send to you along with 50 Hornady 55 grain spire points.

A first deer can be a huge deal to a kid. PM me if you want them.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No experience with either on deer but killed a bunch of p-dogs with both. If you would like I’ve got some 22 cal 60gr hornady sp’s and some 6mm 90gr Nosler accubonds I’d give them. Send me a pm if I can help. Nick

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No experience with either of those bullets.

I Have a box of 100gr pro hunters, if you wanna give them a go instead. Im about 20 mins south of you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are varmint bullets and not suitable for deer. I have some spare bullets as well in 6mm and .224 that I can send to you. PM me your address.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hornady 55 gr SP are available for the .223 Hornady 100 gr BTSP are available for the 6mm.....Their picks are NOT what Id use to kill a deer.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I strongly suggest you take up one of the fine offers that have been made here.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
gentlemen,

I highly appreciate the generous offers in typical campfire fashion...

I have no shortage of bullets here myself. This is what the boys came up with, and wanted to use because they were proud of coming up with something on their own... local store that sold them the bullets told them, they would work fine. ( Sportsman's Warehouse) This was before I got involved. Per usual around here there is no dad involved in this picture. There is an older Grandpa, but he's not in shape to take them out in the field and has always just bought store ammo...not a handloading type of guy.

I am well stocked to just give them appropriate bullet... but they were set on using what they had bought.

I do admit to being surprised, over the generous offers put forward in response here...thanks and kudos to each of you.

thanks for your input... I'll let the two boys read the thread here, next time they are over....to do some handloading..

will let them shoot some of the bullets they bought over range time... but will send them afield, with proper bullets.

I have multiple boxes of bullets, that Ingwe/Tom mentioned....

the 100 grain Hornady in 6mm, and the 55 and 60 grain SP in 22 caliber from Hornady. I'm supplying the powder, primers and brass already.

thanks to each of you gentlemen once again, and for your generous offers.

cheers and best regards
john chr / seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The 53gr Vmax would not be my choice but my cousin killed a very nice buck last year with his 16.5" .223 Rem 783 using the 53gr Vmax. Quartered away around 80yds he hit hit mid rib on the entrance and the bullet broke the off shoulder and he found it in the muscle right before the hide, nice mushroom and fair weight retention. The deer made it about 25yds and then got the low blood pressure shuffles.

Again, probably not the bullet I'd pick but it worked in that instance.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well at Blue Dot velocities I think the 70 grain TNT would work at speeds of less than 2600 fps. Haven't shot many Vmax's myself. The 90 gr. TNT in the Grendel works well on feral hogs.

Last edited by rickt300; 08/19/22.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In my hands I would be comfortable with either.

Have seen deer killed easily with a 220 Swift and a 55 V-Max.

Also seen em die pretty good with the old Hornady SXSP .243 70 grain.

Lights out instant kills but placement in the soft part of the airbags was used.

No buck fever involved.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well at Blue Dot velocities I think the 70 grain TNT would work at speeds of less than 2600 fps. Haven't shot many Vmax's myself. The 90 gr. TNT in the Grendel works well on feral hogs.
But hogs aren't nearly as tough as deer!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I strongly suggest you take up one of the fine offers that have been made here.

^^ THIS ^^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
What twist is the 223???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard position to be in.

1. Good on them for sourcing their own
2. Unfortunate it's not exactly right without worrying about results
3. Want to encourage #1
4. Teaching them to reload and understand why some "answers" are better than others is still a valuable skill
5. Good excuse to use the 2 new bullets on something you might be more comfortable with

And I think this is really important

6. You're about to create a "core memory" for these boys and their hunting/shooting futures. It's one thing to have a bad experience with a cartridge or bullet when you're 40 and have 30 years experience and know enough to know 1 result doesn't a rule make but another to have the first experience be less than stellar. I never liked the idea of "get them a 12 ga, they'll grow into it - I don't want to spend money on 2 shotguns" way of doing it. Just me. Spend the money, make that first/best core memory/experience the absolute BEST it could possibly be. How you get them hooked and keep them hooked. Grow the sport/lifestyle and tradition.

If It was me - I'd source proper bullets you feel comfortable with and a great chance to explain the differences for more indepth understanding. A more complete project.

Congrats on the boys making Eagle. Big accomplishment. My girlfriend's 3 boys all did as well with the youngest just getting it this past fall. It's served them well since!

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations to the young men for making Eagle. I'd also be happy to donate some 100 grain Hornady of 95 grain Nosler BT 6mm bullets if your/their supply runs low.
Is the reloading thing part of Boy Scouts? I'd like to get involved in something like that locally.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why not steer them towards buy quality ammo. That way they aren't dependent in you or anyone else.

You'll shoot your eye out
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have them load some up and do a bullet test with their bullets and some of yours. Then let them decide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both will take deer in the conditions you described and I fairly certain I could keep my family fed if I was so armed. Are they optimal choices, NO.

CK
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do the boys and the deer a favor and have them use bullets designed for killing deer. You are doing good work Seafire, very admirable.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.