Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
After having two sets of Talley LWs break on a .300 WSM and a .308, I'm done with them. On the other hand, all my experiences with Talley QDs have been stellar. After the LWs broke on my Adirondack I switched over to QDs and then installed a front sight so I can use the rifle scoped or with their peep. Now I use one scope with 150s at 2800 up in the alpine, and another scope and the peep for 200s at 2350 for my woods hunting. Easy peasy.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Very disappointing to read. I have Talley rings on almost all of my rifles, I sure do not want to go about replacing them all. Luckily, I dont shoot any single gun all that much.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have Talley’s on 223, 6.5, 30/06, and 9.3.
It cracked on the 9.3. If I can’t sell the rifle, I’ll
Probably get DNZ one piece for that one.
The 06 has seen hundreds if not close to 1000 rounds with out a failure.
The costumer service at Talleys is top notch and took care of me in a hurry.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't overlook S&K mounts and rings I feel better now after hearing I'm not the only one that's had alley lightweights break.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had Talleys go tits up as well. Talley replaced them and so far so good. I do have one set that is a 30 mm set on a 270 WSM and I will see how they hold up. That being said, they are the last ones I’ll own. I’ve also had Leupold bases and rings go bad on me in the last year as well.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EdM
I picked up a new 84L Subalpine 30-06 yesterday and am wondering if there are any alternatives to Talley LW's. I do not want a rail. TIA.

I'd go with Talley LW. I haven't broken any yet. There are possibly stronger options but those are generally steel and I see no point in going with a high dollar rifle to cut weight, then using heavier steel when lighter aluminum parts that work well are available. Counter-productive. Then again, I don't put a 30 mm hubble-esque scope on my UL rifle either, rather, I use set-it-and-forget-it scopes that come in between 11 and 15 ounces on my Kimbers.

These days, I save steel mounts/rings and 1.5 to 2 pound scopes for 10 pound rifles.

Others' mileage may vary ...

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by EdM
I picked up a new 84L Subalpine 30-06 yesterday and am wondering if there are any alternatives to Talley LW's. I do not want a rail. TIA.

I'd go with Talley LW. I haven't broken any yet. There are possibly stronger options but those are generally steel and I see no point in going with a high dollar rifle to cut weight, then using heavier steel when lighter aluminum parts that work well are available. Counter-productive. Then again, I don't put a 30 mm hubble-esque scope on my UL rifle either, rather, I use set-it-and-forget-it scopes that come in between 11 and 15 ounces on my Kimbers.

These days, I save steel mounts/rings and 1.5 to 2 pound scopes for 10 pound rifles.

You'll have a change of heart when you get a Talley lightweight crack on you. Good luck with them.. If you don't shoot much, they will probably work out alright, but if you use it you'll eventually find yourself schidt out of luck..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by EdM

On my two rifles with broken Talleys, one was a Leupold VX II 2-7, and the other was a Leupold 3-9 ultralight..........just sayin'.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The rifle my LW's broke on wasn't shot much, as mentioned 84L Classic. With Leupold 2.5-8x. Not much use or scope weight.

I really don't think it is a matter of use, and maybe scope mass, but the strain on the aluminium being too much. Also, mine were torqued correctly with a torque wrench.

So many people on here have had issues that I think I won't be going forward with them, so much of a problem if they go tits up on a hunt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockdoc
The rifle my LW's broke on wasn't shot much, as mentioned 84L Classic. With Leupold 2.5-8x. Not much use or scope weight.

I really don't think it is a matter of use, and maybe scope mass, but the strain on the aluminium being too much. Also, mine were torqued correctly with a torque wrench.

So many people on here have had issues that I think I won't be going forward with them, so much of a problem if they go tits up on a hunt.

And people talking about a weight difference don't really know what that difference is between something like the steel Warne's and Burris Zee's vs. the Talley lightweights. The difference in strength is far more important IMHO vs. the extra 2 oz's in weight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use the Talley Fixed Ring with the separate bases. A couple of Oz's heavier and a little pricey but strong as hell. I sprung for the Stainless Steel and they look great an a Montana!

Last edited by Switch; 09/27/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, what's your experience with the steel Talleys?

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
.885 Nf ultralights, and these for bases. Almost as light as ultralights, but wont fail. Fairly low(same as talley mediums).

https://store.kimberamerica.com/84-two-piece-picatinny-bases

You’re welcome....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use some Talley steel bases and some alloy 1913 rails. Hint.

20MOA 2pc 1913? No thang,even on the fly. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bases don't puke,rings do. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by qwk
.885 Nf ultralights, and these for bases. Almost as light as ultralights, but wont fail. Fairly low(same as talley mediums).

https://store.kimberamerica.com/84-two-piece-picatinny-bases

You’re welcome....

Awfully proud of them. 😂
Wonder who makes them?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
S&K

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been using the Talley Stainless Steel Fixed Rings and Stainless Steel bases, strong as hell and really don't add much weight. I have then on my Fieldcraft and Model 70's and even a 10/22. They look great, pricey but IMHO worth it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.