Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't been out in the woods a WHOLE lot this summer. But from what I have seen........and what my brother has seen.......we didn't get much of a hatch this year.

He's seen a grand total of one brood and I've seen two broods. He saw a single hen with 2 poults approximately a month ago. Yesterday I saw 3 hens with 2 poults among them. One was about 2/3 the size of the adult hens. The other was about the size of a Hun or a chukar.

Hopefully it's just because I haven't been out much. But from what we've seen so far............ain't good.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I saw some earlier this year, but it has been so hot and dry around here I am not sure if they all made it or not. I have seen several hens in the last few weeks but none with little ones. Hard to believe that they are already out on their own.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty bad everywhere... saw a couple of little ones in April/May and little since.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a lot of big broads, however. I'm seeing turkeys around my place, but the SDGF&P's deemed it illegal to shoot turkeys in this county.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last winter I killed 28 or 30 coons on 80 acres. This summer I have 2 hens on camera with one poult each. I'll probably be able to kill another 30 coons this winter. Then there are the coyotes killing off almost every fawn around the area with a few bobcats thrown in for good measure. It'd be tough world to be a animal momma in. This in central KS.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With fur prices low there are no more trappers.

Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Last winter I killed 28 or 30 coons on 80 acres. This summer I have 2 hens on camera with one poult each. I'll probably be able to kill another 30 coons this winter. Then there are the coyotes killing off almost every fawn around the area with a few bobcats thrown in for good measure. It'd be tough world to be a animal momma in. This in central KS.

Good on you !!!! Turkeys need all the help they can get. This fall starts an all out WAR on turkey and turkey nest predators on our property.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have seen more hens with poults in the past month than I've seen in several years. On the flip side, I've seen a bunch of hens without little ones, and they are the majority of the hens I've seen. I have trapped a bunch of coons here this year, around 20 or so, but I believe there are other reasons for the bad hatches. But, I'm just tickled pink to see some little ones, and from what I've seen, I'd say they were probably the second nesting.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have trapped a bunch of coons here this year, around 20 or so, but I believe there are other reasons for the bad hatches.

There are definitely other reasons. Weather, likely being the biggest of those. But I ain't figured out how to do anything about that one yet. LOL !!! So, til I do........ I'll just work on the stuff I CAN make a difference on.

Great that you're seeing good broods in your neck of the woods !!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Great turkey populations up here in NE WI, but great predator populations too. Seeing more and more raccoons on the trail cam pictures, some booner racoons too! Lol! So I'm starting to do what I can as well, the 17 Mach II is sighted in and ready to go! Trying to talk my good friend, who is a WI resident, into going suppressed just because... I can't as an IL resident. Our politicians here watch too many movies, but that's an entirely different topic in a different forum.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Great turkey populations up here in NE WI, but great predator populations too. Seeing more and more raccoons on the trail cam pictures,

Proves my point....

Bait thrown in front of trail cameras hurts the populations more than a predator.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pulled out of my driveway yesterday and started down the road, 2 houses down and a good size flock of turkeys at it, with most being this years hatch. That made me feel better, at least about that one group of birds anyway.

Last edited by pullit; 08/19/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still no broods here.

In the last week I've seen a group of 4 jakes, a lone longbeard, a group of 5 longbeards and a group with 3 longbeards, a jake and two barren hens. Not very hopeful news...........

As an aside.......... One of the longbeards in the group with the jake and hens was swinging one of the longest ropes I've ever seen around these parts. Pretty cool to see.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Loads of them here in north Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if fur prices don`t come back we won`t have many Turkeys in Minnesota last year at my home i shot 26 coons,3 possum 2021, this year 2022 so far i have killed 14 coons 3 possum . broods are small to none , i have 3 jakes and 1 tom that stay close to my house this summer 2022 must be to many predators out here in the country ? i keep my 22 K-Hornet loaded and close. Minnesota needs to start a bounty on predators again.

Last edited by pete53; 08/20/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have been in the woods a bunch this Summer and I have seen maybe 15 or so hens that had a total of 4 poults. The turkey population in my neck of the woods has dropped to what I estimate is 1/4th of what is was 10 years ago.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Bald Eagles are killing them. I have proof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Great turkey populations up here in NE WI, but great predator populations too. Seeing more and more raccoons on the trail cam pictures,

Proves my point....

Bait thrown in front of trail cameras hurts the populations more than a predator.

Who said anything about bait?!

Just got home from up north. Saw lots of hens with lots of poults of all different sizes.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not many peOple put out trail cameras without putting bait in front of them....

That being said I've never or ever will own a game camera.

Hunting is about the unknown.....too many so called hunters today are just window shoppers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LFC
Not many peOple put out trail cameras without putting bait in front of them....

That being said I've never or ever will own a game camera.

Hunting is about the unknown.....too many so called hunters today are just window shoppers.

I can certainly see your position. I run about 15 cameras to let me know what I have to sit over (deer) and to make sure that I only shoot a 4 year old or better. Most of my hunting is in low/no light so I will take every bit of help I can. Cameras also help me to limit pressure on places that I have good deer.

Will Rogers
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
400 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.