Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a friend I'm trying to help liquidate his firearms before he passes. He's offered me the friend discount on anything I want. So far the thing that peaks my interest the most is a Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine (Deerstalker) closed top model, with tube magazine. He's mounted what looks like a Williams peep sight on the reciever, and I'd say it has hardly been fired metal finish and wood are at least 80%.

I've done a limited amount of research basically helping him to price things. He has well over 100 firearms, most of which are Single Action revolvers that I'm out of my wheelhouse on. Anyway if any with experience with this carbine can give me the low down I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have three of them. Best brush rifle for white tails. Hogs too. 800 to 1200 is a fair price depending on condition. Does it have the side saddle or reciever ramp mount?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a couple = the finger grove sporter is worth a little more than the reg one. Great rifles...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They are supposed to be just the thing for hunting gorillas. However, I have owned a couple of them, and neither of mine functioned very well. After one or two shots, I would have to try to beat the enraged silverback's brains out with it, which would probably break the stock and ruin its collector value.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/20/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Does it have the side saddle or reciever ramp mount?

I don't have a clue, and I don't know what you're refering to.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
They are supposed to be just the thing for hunting gorillas. However, I have owned a couple of them, and neither of mine functioned very well. After one or two shots, I would have to try to beat the silverback's brains out with it, which would probably break the stock and ruin its collector value.

[Linked Image]

Can you imagine the fallout from the PC crowd if some gun company posted an add like that today ! 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Didn't Ruger actually make two completely different versions of 44 mag. carbine? One in the 60s early 70s, and a different one later, possibly mid or late 80???

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Does it have the side saddle or reciever ramp mount?

I don't have a clue, and I don't know what you're refering to.

Ruger originally sold two versions of the .44 Carbine, the Standard model with fold down open sights, and the "Deluxe", with a built-in Williams-ish receiver sight that was actually mounted in a recess on the left side of the receiver, so that the sight and receiver were flush on the left. The stock is not cut for the sight. The Deluxe models bring a premium and are pretty neat. They later came out with an International version with Mannlicher stock. Those are also highly desirable.

Most of the .44 carbines that show up with receiver sights have been drilled and tapped for an aftermarket sight, and it is mounted external to the left side of the receiver, with the stock relieved for the sight. Theoretically, this detracts somewhat from the carbine's value.

I believe the "ramp mount" referred to is the type that mounts on top of the receiver, using the scope mount holes, such as the Williams WGRS series. These do not require drilling or tapping the receiver or altering the stock.

Most aftermarket peep sights will need a higher front sight blade installed in order to zero them.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/20/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by guy57
Didn't Ruger actually make two completely different versions of 44 mag. carbine? One in the 60s early 70s, and a different one later, possibly mid or late 80???
Yes. The later one is more similar to a Mini-14/30 style rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
@wildhobbybobby,

Thanks for the explanation, it's going to be the "ramp mount". It has a Williams Peep mounted to the rear of the receiver. The stock hasn't been cut.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a Ruger 44 International since it was new in 1968. It has worked fine for me. Back in the late 1980's when I hung around Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH, the Ruger experts warned me against ever using non-jacketed bullets in it, as they claimed that the lead would shave off over time and clog the gas port. I've never shot anything though it that wasn't factory loaded JHP/JSP ammo. One thing that they will do that is a PITA is stovepipe a loaded round when you are emptying the loaded magazine and don't pull the cocking handle back sharply enough or if it slips from your hand.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
They are supposed to be just the thing for hunting gorillas. However, I have owned a couple of them, and neither of mine functioned very well. After one or two shots, I would have to try to beat the silverback's brains out with it, which would probably break the stock and ruin its collector value.

[Linked Image]

Can you imagine the fallout from the PC crowd if some gun company posted an add like that today ! 🤪

You hurt some kneegrows feelings!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wanted one since I was a kid. One of my work buddie’s Dad was getting rid of his guns and sold me his for $450. Made in 1967 and about 90% shape. He had a white line recoil pad installed. It’s a short, light, powerful carbine. I use 240 grain soft or hollow points in mine. Has the factory open sights. Cool rifle as far as I’m concerned. It’s like a .44 magnum version of a 10-22. They are bringing quite a a price these days.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Doesn't seem like much bad going on with the .44 Carbine. I'm going to try and get it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Doesn't seem like much bad going on with the .44 Carbine. I'm going to try and get it.
The version with the factory peep built into the receiver is something of a collector's item above and beyond the collector value of most first version Ruger 44 Mag carbines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I e had a couple Ruger 44 Magnums. Lots of fun. One was a tube feed.

I sold them because they didn’t work well with the cast bullets I was casting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old one with a Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scope on it.

It’s a cool handy little rifle.

It also jams more than any semi auto I own. Stick with Jsp 240 loads and it does pretty well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish Ruger would make a run of these in stainless with an all weather stock

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Early models had a trigger housing issue. Ruger later re-designed. I don't know the s/n range it happened, but it's out there somewhere.

shaman had a thread on this 9/29/20

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9047/requiem-for-a-model-44#Post15269047

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy it!
If you don’t, hit me up

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.