Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not with the economy in recession as it is.

GB2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by boatboy
[quote=Osky]Hopefully a fish finder. I want one that can be portable and also has GPS. The big factor is power draw. I use them so much on flyins that recharging batteries in remote locations becomes an issue.
Show me fish down below, mapping on the side, hold all the other bells and whistles please.

Osky

Please post your data on how to save battery life I am very interested I assume the first and largest factor would be screen size
I am very curious
Hank
[/quote

So here we go..
I use 7.5ah batteries made by Dakota for remote fly in guiding. Chosen for weight concerns.
A Garmin striker 4 or similar will run 14hrs per charge. The striker 5 drops that number to 11 hours or 10 if you are using all the mapping functions. The same size units in Humminbird models were nearly the same except the Helix 5 with mapping and all will run around 7-8 hours to that battery charged.
I broke it down to the “4” models use about .4 amps per hour, the 5” screens .5 amps per hour and the 7” screens Nearly 1 amp per hour. Color screens, Bells and whistles add to the draw.
I did not search larger screens as I don’t use them.
By comparison I have an older Lawrence black and white 5”, no other bells and whistles on it to speak of and it runs 4 solid days of at least 8 hours per before the battery is down.

Osky

Results. I had a Garmin striker 4, a humminbird 5, and an older humminbird 561 along with my last group out.
The garmin 4 is color small screen and did run 14 hours on my 7.5ah Dakota battery.
The Humminbird 5 was the basic model, color, no sidescan or crazy stuff. 9 1/2 hours on the same battery.
The old humminbird 561 is a 5” black and white screen, basic no gps, mapping etc. this one ran 36 plus hours on the same 7.5ah battery.

The color feature and constant gps positioning were obviously the big draws.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Picking up a used Shimano Tekota 800. Have a roll of copper here that I'd like to put to use. Already have the carbon drag washers and will quickly swap out the O.E.M. washers, the carbon washers are great!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I broke down and picked up two new Mercury 50hp tiller 4 strokes. I was looking for the One for the 18’ Lund I’m reriveting and reconfiguring out-in the shop when I saw the two 50s at the dealership sitting side by side. I was given a great buy for taking the two, still in the crates.
I may pick up a jet lower unit for the other for my river boat but I’m thinking too much versatility lost.
I keep a lund 16’ deep V down on the Flaming Gorge where I’m going next week. That boat has a real nice older 40hp Johnson on it which I could replace with the 50 4 stroke. I’m bringing that boat back north with me when I come back and it may go down the road for something bigger so who knows.
Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Have the copper spooled up and the new carbon drag washers installed in the Tekota 800. Time to get back on the water! Found a Talora wire/leadcore trolling rod that will match up perfectly with the 800, going to look at it tonight. Also found a guy in Lake Geneva, WI selling a ton of salmon tackle and equipment, but he'll only sell as a package, won't sell stuff separately. Too bad, he's got some nice stuff, but his asking price of $4200 for it all is a little too rich for me right now! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty sure I’ll replace the three trolling batteries for the Ulterra with lithiums this winter. It is a hefty expense, maybe $2k or so for batteries and chargers. But they should last 10 years and lighten up the boat by 100 pounds as well as other advantages. Also considering a Garmin live scope depth/fish finder.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Pretty sure I’ll replace the three trolling batteries for the Ulterra with lithiums this winter. It is a hefty expense, maybe $2k or so for batteries and chargers. But they should last 10 years and lighten up the boat by 100 pounds as well as other advantages. Also considering a Garmin live scope depth/fish finder.

Just curious, have you looked at the Dakota Lithium batteries?

Osky

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Osky

Have not decided which brand to go with yet. Have not researched the Dakota. Plenty of boaters recommend the Ionic's.
I might base my decision on what the dealers around me carry so it will give me a leg up if I need customer service down the road.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Osky

Have not decided which brand to go with yet. Have not researched the Dakota. Plenty of boaters recommend the Ionic's.
I might base my decision on what the dealers around me carry so it will give me a leg up if I need customer service down the road.

Good points. I bought mine online and they were great to deal with. The batteries hold a ton of juice and are less than 1/4 the weight of lead acids. Then again maybe all lithiums are? These are the first I’ve tried out.

Osky

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Garmin live scope has not been that impressive

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New 14' Lews dipping rod should be here tomorrow.

Hit the lake again Friday to try ro get a few more crappie for thr freezer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
New boat I tore up my Penn yan hitting a submerged rock doing 25 mph too much damage to warrant the cost of trying to repair
Last night I just closed the deal on this a 2700 Tiara Pursuit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
New boat I tore up my Penn yan hitting a submerged rock doing 25 mph too much damage to warrant the cost of trying to repair

Nice boat. You will like it I’ve owned 2.

What were your thoughts on your Penn Yann? A guy I know wants me to back him on one for charter fishing.

Osky

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I loved my Penn Yan and if I could have found another I would have bought one,I was looking for a 265 Pro Hunter or a 28'-29' Predator or Prowler and none to be found

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Currently have 2700 Tiara. Previous owner has manual for everything on the boat from rear props to the Crusaders to bulbs in the nav lights. If you ever need info or have questions shoot me a pm. Also, if you don't have AP, the Raymarine EV200 is perfect and easy to install, just make sure you get the ruder sensor. I'm usually docked at Olcott or the Oak if you wanna check anything out.

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 09/29/22.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

Currently have 2700 Tiara. Previous owner has manual for everything on the boat from rear props to the Crusaders to bulbs in the nav lights. If you ever need info or have questions shoot me a pm. Also, if you don't have AP, the Raymarine EV200 is perfect and easy to install, just make sure you get the ruder sensor. I'm usually docked at Olcott or the Oak if you wanna check anything out.
Thank you appreciate it! Looks like I'm going with a Garmin AP so it with communicate with my other electronics when I upgrade them Rick(Yankee Troller) is hooking me up with my add on's

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Main reason I went with the Raymarine....so I could network. We still think thr best thing on thr boat is thr microwave and coffee pot 😁. Hopefully next year fishes better than this year.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I loved my Penn Yan and if I could have found another I would have bought one,I was looking for a 265 Pro Hunter or a 28'-29' Predator or Prowler and none to be found

Thanks I appreciate the input. Your going to love your T… both of mine were beyond excellent floaters.

Osky

Is that a 33 open on the other side of yours?

Last edited by Osky; 09/29/22.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
479 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.