Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
But, the Mashburn is cool.. If you are a reloader, most are, then not a problem. I would guess a guy could barrel up a Mashburn at a reasonable cost. Plus, if it is what I want, what is the problem. The 285 was also cool, but it did not perform as well as the Mashburn. Plus Page used a 22" barrel.

Not a problem? It's still a lot more work to "be cool" while providing nothing that other factory loaded 7mm's already provide (without a belt).

Regardless, my response was to the guy thinking it's a reinvention of the wheel, which it won't be given factory rifles, ammo and brass.

My dear friend Dober, who started the 7mm Mashburn mania here, has had one for many decades. I've shot his. I completely appreciate his sentimentality for it given he had a personal relationship with Bob Hagel. But he's also extremely clear-eyed that it's that relationship that makes the round special to him. Without that he'd likely sooner shoot a big 7 loaded by a factory.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I've always been tight, must be getting old too.

Once, a press release and salesma....gun writer's😉 "article"
would have had me at least pining for one.

There are 2 7mags in the basement, one 300Win. Pretty sure
none have hunted since 2007. 243, 308, Swede, '06 have
done everything needed.

A 6.5 PRC could maybe find a home if it was light, used, and came
like the Swede did. Dies, brass, bullets.
Oh, most importantly. Cheap.

For me, pass the 308 or 270. I've got no use for a "Big 7."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never even fired a 270.
Had one for several years, bought cheap, passed on to a kid.

But a fast twisted one has been on my mind.
Stupid. I'd never begin to have use for the bullets that benefit
from it. But........?😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I were building a 270 from scratch I'd just twist it at 1-9 and forget the rest...

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve never fired a .270 Win either. I won a Tikka T3 camo stainless .270 WSM several years ago and sold it before I ever scoped it or fired it. I just arbitrarily decided to jump up 0.007” and stick with my 7mm’s, etc.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
For me, pass the 308 or 270. I've got no use for a "Big 7."

A long time ago the Military determined that a ~ 150 gr. bullet, at ~ 2800 fps., was an optimum balance between rapid marksmanship skill development and 500 yd. effectiveness for the average adult - .30-06 M2 ball -> 7.62x51 NATO M80 ball.

... this would also include the .270 Win.

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Docbill
All of this really astounds me. Warren Page had a 7 mm Mashburn in 1952 that would drive a 175 gr bullet at 3000+ within 65K pressures. His did then and mine does now. I have 2, one has a 1:8 twist barrel on it. The other a standard 1:9.5. Either will shoot/kill about any kind of game up to about 1200 lbs to as far as I what to try the shot.

Reinventing the wheel I guess, just because you can.

Aside from being a factory round, the 7mm SPC has several of the present-day touches that make some newer cartridges tend to shoot more accurately, including:

1) A shorter powder column, which tends to result in more consistent pressures and hence muzzle velocities.

2) A 30-degree shoulder, which on shorter fatter cartridges from the 6mm PPC on up tends to result in more consistent muzzle velocities.

3) A parallel throat, just barely above bullet diameter, which tends to keep bullets straighter as they move from the case neck to the rifling.

The first two have been demonstrated many times in piezo pressure labs. The third has been demonstrated many times on targets.

This doesn't mean the average hunter should rush out and buy a 7mm PRC when they already have a good 7mm magnum (even one with a belt). However, it does mean that for certain purposes sheer muzzle velocity is not everything, even though that's still what many hunters believe.

One other "advantage" for any 7mm magnum, even older ones, is today's powders, many of which are far less temperature sensitive, and include a decoppering agent. These tend to produce more consistent accuracy over a range of shooting conditions. I know this partly because my present 7mm magnum is the "old" belted Remington, though chambered in one of the new "affordable" rifles that many traditional hunters love to hate, a Mauser M18. But it performs best with some newer powders like those described above--and also with some newer bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m holding off building my next setup with the anticipation a 7 PRC will come to fruition late this year. I’m wanting a 22” barrel, threaded to launch 180s suppressed.

I know, I know, a 7mm RM is close but I’m willing to take a stab with the new hot rod if brass will be available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm. I have a 8.5 twist Bartlein sitting on the shelf. May have to look into this further...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
But, the Mashburn is cool.. If you are a reloader, most are, then not a problem. I would guess a guy could barrel up a Mashburn at a reasonable cost. Plus, if it is what I want, what is the problem. The 285 was also cool, but it did not perform as well as the Mashburn. Plus Page used a 22" barrel.

That's exactly how I ended up with my first one. I kinda like it since it uses easy to source 300 Win Mag brass and forming isn't a big deal, the new PRC does just about the same, but uses box ammo.

Not a problem? It's still a lot more work to "be cool" while providing nothing that other factory loaded 7mm's already provide (without a belt).

Regardless, my response was to the guy thinking it's a reinvention of the wheel, which it won't be given factory rifles, ammo and brass.

My dear friend Dober, who started the 7mm Mashburn mania here, has had one for many decades. I've shot his. I completely appreciate his sentimentality for it given he had a personal relationship with Bob Hagel. But he's also extremely clear-eyed that it's that relationship that makes the round special to him. Without that he'd likely sooner shoot a big 7 loaded by a factory.

I'd agree with that, and I'd bet Dober and even Bob said the same thing, if you want easy, stick with a plain old 7 Rem Mag, but if you wanted a bit extra set up for your desired bullets the Mashburn is pretty easy. I am a sentimental user of the cartridge for about the same reasons, Hagels writing and guys like Dober and Bob pushing on it a little.

Better look out, I am thinking Dober might be the first one suppressing his Mashburn... Modern stuff!

Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] Better look out, I am thinking Dober might be the first one suppressing his Mashburn... Modern stuff![/quote]

I keep in pretty close touch with Dober, and he apparently isn't using the 7mm Mashburn much anymore. He started having real problems with his shooting shoulder, which were at least partly due to shooting hard-recoiling rounds like the .340 Weatherby at rockchucks for practice. He had shoulder-replacement surgery earlier this year....

Plus, he eventually started down-sizing his big game rounds due to the shoulder problems--along with using different bullets. In one of our recent conversations he was planning to make his new elk rifle (he primarily shoots cows anymore) a .22-250, because he found out how effective it was with monolithic bullets. This isn't unheard of in older Montanans, even with cup-and-core bullets. A retired local outfitter I know mostly used his .22-250 for his elk hunting after he retired, partly because unlike the 7mm Remington Magnum he carried when guiding the bullets never exited, and most of his cow-hunting involves herds. He uses the same "varmint" loads he uses on coyotes, and shoots cow behind the shoulder. They go a little ways and fall over.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] Better look out, I am thinking Dober might be the first one suppressing his Mashburn... Modern stuff!

I keep in pretty close touch with Dober, and he apparently isn't using the 7mm Mashburn much anymore. He started having real problems with his shooting shoulder, which were at least partly due to shooting hard-recoiling rounds like the .340 Weatherby at rockchucks for practice. He had shoulder-replacement surgery earlier this year....

Plus, he eventually started down-sizing his big game rounds due to the shoulder problems--along with using different bullets. In one of our recent conversations he was planning to make his new elk rifle (he primarily shoots cows anymore) a .22-250, because he found out how effective it was with monolithic bullets. This isn't unheard of in older Montanans, even with cup-and-core bullets. A retired local outfitter I know mostly used his .22-250 for his elk hunting after he retired, partly because unlike the 7mm Remington Magnum he carried when guiding the bullets never exited, and most of his cow-hunting involves herds. He uses the same "varmint" loads he uses on coyotes, and shoots cow behind the shoulder. They go a little ways and fall over.[/quote]

He's an animal. He gets alot done with a bunch of stuff folks hand ring about!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WiFowler,

Whoever wrote that article is FOS in more than one way, but the biggie is the 7mm PRC has considerably more powder room than the 7mm SAUM, because its case body is the same diameter as the SAUM but almost .3" longer. (Also the 7mm PRC's shoulder angle is not "lower"--whatever that means--than the 7mm SAUM's, since they both have 30-degree shoulders.)

I am quite familiar with the 7mm SAUM, having handloaded for it for several years after it appeared, and took a bunch of big game with it from South Texas to northern Quebec. I never could get more than than around 2875 fps from 175-grain bullets with the best powders from my stainless/synthetic 700's 24-inch barrel, and the 7mm PRC is indeed capable of just about 3000 with the 180-grain Hornady ELDM--which has an extremely high BC.

MD, as I mentioned I'm on the fence. Like you, I have a 7mm SAUM. While I haven't loaded a lot for it, I have perused the reloading data. 2900 w/175 gr seems to be 'pushing' it, and then only when all of the stars are aligned. Your 2875 w/175gr is real-world proof of the 7 SAUM/175gr.

Time will tell. I'm sure there will be much more written and data collected before to long. That in hand, I'll make determination as to whether or not I 'need' a 7PRC. I can honestly say I've never made a decision to buy (or build) a rifle in any specific caliber based on a single writers opinion. And it won't happen where the 7 PRC is involved, either.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Who will be the first to offer a prefit?
laugh

If I were to make a wild a$$ guess, I'd say Proof. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't already have a few few spun up and ready to go for various actions, right now, but are holding back on there release until the 'official' release of the 7 PRC by Hornady. Again, just another WAG.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anti X, proof prefit, AG composite, TT special, Hawkins bm and rings of choice should put you around 6 pounds 10 ounces and $3200 if my coffee napkin is correct. Let us know how I did! grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anti X, proof prefit, AG composite, TT special, Hawkins bm and rings of choice should put you around 6 pounds 10 ounces and $3200 if my coffee napkin is correct. Let us know how I did! grin

Sounds like a build sheet to me.

Where was that LA Mag Anti X at?

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pretty close to the numbers I came up with, though stock, BM and rings/bases might be different. Thought about a Bartlien 2b or fluted #3 in lieu of the Proof pre-fit. From what I recall in one of Aalf's threads, he mention that there was minimal weight savings between the 2b, fluted #3, and a Bartlien #4 CF, but 3-4 C-notes in price.

Be interesting to see if Christensen comes out with a Ridgeline FFT in 7 PRC and what it weighs - albeit probably with a 22" tube, vice 24 or 26. I know my CA Ridgeline FFT 300WSM, w/20" CF bbl, Swaro Z5 and Leupold Backcountry rings comes in at 7# 2oz. Ridgeline FFT would probably be a $2300-2400 proposition.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
30-40 yrs ago I may have been impressed by a 7PRC, maybe. But we had the 7RM,Wby, STW, Imperial Mag and likely a few others around back then, too. About 35 yrs ago I bought a 7-08, it's done everything but a big bear for me, full faith in it. I turfed a 7RM back then in favour of a 338WM for areas where I hunted with big bears in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were building a 270 from scratch I'd just twist it at 1-9 and forget the rest...

That’s been my thoughts as well. I’m almost tempted to rebarrel my 270 WSM to a 1:9 twist.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hudge

That’s been my thoughts as well. I’m almost tempted to rebarrel my 270 WSM to a 1:9 twist.

Just me, but if I’m rebarreling a 270 I’m going to twist it enough to handle any reasonable bullet that’s available. 1-7.5-1-8 min to handle the newer Nosler and Sierras. The extra RPMs won’t hurt hunting bullets.

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.