Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Plenty of stupid opinions when it comes to dogs. The fact that the OP is considering a pair of Dobermans is a bit concerning. Get a family dog from a breeder that focuses on healthy dogs with calm temperament. Think lab, golden or springer. Other breeds may be as good, but none will be better. Even the best breeds can be screwed up by a bad trainer. Plan on obedience classes with the dog AND the daughter. The dog will be around quite a while. Choose wisely and train well.

GB2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had many dogs over the years but just bought a couple of Great Pyrenees puppies to use as livestock guardian dogs from guardian stock. I've been really shocked at how low-key these dogs are, even as puppies. Easy going and likable but have the goods if needed for protection. I can see why a ewe would allow them around its lamb.

With that said, I would get two of these in that they seem to need the social interaction. They also seem to be a little stubborn with an attitude that they know what's best so seem a little more difficult to train than many dogs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Nothing any more faithful or wanting to be around children than a Sheltie.

They won’t withstand a pit bull attack, but they won’t back down either.

Family oriented dog, but children is who they cling too. He’ll stand by her side until the end.

This guy forgets all about me when the grandkid shows up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My brother has a sheltie and it's the biggest pussy dog I've ever seen. It backs down/runs away and hides when I bring over my Jack Russel and it's even afraid of my wifes Pom-Chi.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If your daughter was ever threatened, a barking dog may get attention faster than one who only bites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With some patience and a lot of training it might work .

[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

Last edited by Rick n Tenn; 09/25/22.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Great!!!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Nothing any more faithful or wanting to be around children than a Sheltie.

They won’t withstand a pit bull attack, but they won’t back down either.

Family oriented dog, but children is who they cling too. He’ll stand by her side until the end.

This guy forgets all about me when the grandkid shows up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My brother has a sheltie and it's the biggest pussy dog I've ever seen. It backs down/runs away and hides when I bring over my Jack Russel and it's even afraid of my wifes Pom-Chi.
Ive got 2 that don’t like people or other dogs and head the opposite direction when either show up. I’ve got two others that don’t see an enemy, I call the The Greeters. The one in the photo actually ran off the neighbors Jack Russel over at the cabin but played with his beagle, go figure. Dogs have different traits you know.

Last edited by MarkWV; 09/30/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.