Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just rebarreled a 300win and needed to get some seasoning done on it....but it's hot here. I decided I'd give the barrel a full load of water to absorb the heat and then proceed with my cleaning regimen.

I let the water soak in the bore for about 3 or 4 minutes and it came out hot, repeated 2x and it was cool. I then pushed a clean dry pat h through the bore to dry it so I could get to cleaning and out came the most powder fouled patch I've ever seen.

I was barely able to get anything more with hoppes and elbow grease.

Repeated this a few times every 6 rounds and was pleased with the results....but this got me thinking,we use dawn dish soap and water in the rotary tumbler and it is excellent on the carbon.

Perhaps good old dawn and water has a place and space on the bench.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Interesting indeed. I’m going to try it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jut a thought..

I would be concerned with having residual moisture in the bore and around the rifle itself after the fact, water has a sneaky way of getting into small gaps like under scope bases and between the stock & metal..

I’m be sure to leave the rifle out in a place it’s by circulating air to evaporate that before I put her up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used hot soapy water with Black powder (used to anyway).. but I made sure the water was hotter than the devil, and completely tore things down so they could dry, and then after drying it’d use bore butter, and gun oil to protect the rig from corrosion…. (Stainless), the browned version I used silicon on.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a hair dryer after cleaning the BP rifle.

All around, under the sight, under the thimbles for the rod, everywhere. Until I can't hold it with bare fingers.

Should work on a smokeless powder rifle too?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Butches Black powder bore shine.
Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was 97 here so worrying about metal staying wet was a non issue. I hunt in the rain 30 plus days a year so if it's gonna fail, bring on before crunch time.

This particular rifle wears a bedded base in 8-40 screws so I doubt it'll be an issue.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was a bit nervous about moving the point of impact around due to shrinkage, but it proved to be a non issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HOT soapy water is the go-to for cleaning muzzleloaders, you can't even hold the barrel with a bare hand after a half dozen plunges with a bore mop, and you don't need to worry about any water as it will all evaporate due to the heat. The fastest way to be sure it's clean.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never done on rifle, but will give high volume SA shotguns a hot water and simple green scrub and a rinse. Then use an air compressor to dry the hell out of everything. Guns come out cleaner than they came out of the factory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
I was a bit nervous about moving the point of impact around due to shrinkage, but it proved to be a non issue.

Careful. A 308 could shrink to a 243.
crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We used to clean M-16’s in a hot shower to get all the powder fouling, dirt, and grease out of the innards and bore. 1969

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari

crazy
If you are ever bored, put an indicator on a piece of metal and warm it up and then cool it down....it moves....a bunch.

I made a living getting 20' structural steel to be +/- 1/32" in 20 feet with heat and water.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bore Tech Eliminator contains a water soluble detergent, gets out the stuff soap and water gets out without worry of rust. Carbon as encountered in engines and gun bores is water soluble/hygroscopic.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use boiling water and dish washing detergent to clean my daughter's SKS.

радянське лайно, іди ебать свою матір
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Bore Tech Eliminator contains a water soluble detergent, gets out the stuff soap and water gets out without worry of rust. Carbon as encountered in engines and gun bores is water soluble/hygroscopic.
That stuff sure has strong reviews. Going to get some. 👍

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

crazy
If you are ever bored, put an indicator on a piece of metal and warm it up and then cool it down....it moves....a bunch.

I made a living getting 20' structural steel to be +/- 1/32" in 20 feet with heat and water.

I understand completely. I shoot older soldered combination guns, mostly drillings. They "walk" as they warm up. Depending on the stresses and solder job, it's up and to one side or the other, but always to the same side in a given gun.

I can imagine the necessity of anticipating expansion and contraction and making critical adjustments.

(especially if you like your 308 and have no use for a 243)

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess, clean is clean.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke

This is all I use these days. Great stuff!

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.