Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So I've had a Gen-1 (2000) and have a Gen-2 (2014), but have heard a lot of rumors about problems with the Gen-3 (2016 to present) model. I've been considering getting a new Tacoma (2022 or 23) but was curious what those more in the weeds than me on this have to say - Thanks!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The largest issue I've heard on the G3 is with an auto - it will hunt and shift a lot between 5/6 - looking for the "best" gear for mpg which ends up getting you not great mpg. A "tune" from many many tuners will solve this issue.

The 3.5 is a high strung motor - meaning it likes revs to make hp/tq

Basically a pretty good truck if you realize what it is and isn't. It isn't a full sized diesel and it isn't a commuter car.

I've been looking at them hard recently as I'm still truck shopping. Had a Toyota pick up and a Gen 1 in the past. I need just something decent to last a long time, be maneuverable and get me and my crap white tail and grouse hunting in WI/MI. So Taco size makes sense for me for logging road adventures. At most it would tow an aluminum walleye boat or side by side - well within the 6500-6800 tow rating. So I'm looking at a Tacoma, 2022, TRD Off-Road with a manual. Better rear gear (IMO) than the auto and of course, no hunting for 5/6.

2023 is the last of Gen 3 and Gen 4 is rumored, no more manual and a hybrid option if that's important to you. I'm thinking 22/23 is the one for me - last 20 years and worry then.

Me

R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have owned a 2005, 2009 2013, and currently a 2017.
I drive them for work and trade every hundred thousand miles, which is what my dealer prefers.
I really liked the 4.0 engine, but there is nothing wrong with the 3.5 with the exception that it does hunt for gears.
Nine have all been excellent.
Just do your maintenance.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Many 'Yota forums out there

here's one with lot's of info

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/3rd-gen-tacomas-2016.186/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
The largest issue I've heard on the G3 is with an auto - it will hunt and shift a lot between 5/6 - looking for the "best" gear for mpg which ends up getting you not great mpg. A "tune" from many many tuners will solve this issue.

The 3.5 is a high strung motor - meaning it likes revs to make hp/tq

Basically a pretty good truck if you realize what it is and isn't. It isn't a full sized diesel and it isn't a commuter car.

I've been looking at them hard recently as I'm still truck shopping. Had a Toyota pick up and a Gen 1 in the past. I need just something decent to last a long time, be maneuverable and get me and my crap white tail and grouse hunting in WI/MI. So Taco size makes sense for me for logging road adventures. At most it would tow an aluminum walleye boat or side by side - well within the 6500-6800 tow rating. So I'm looking at a Tacoma, 2022, TRD Off-Road with a manual. Better rear gear (IMO) than the auto and of course, no hunting for 5/6.

2023 is the last of Gen 3 and Gen 4 is rumored, no more manual and a hybrid option if that's important to you. I'm thinking 22/23 is the one for me - last 20 years and worry then.

Teal, yeah - the gear hunting between 5/6 is what I'd heard referred to.

Good article here:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/toyota-tacoma-tuner-automatic-transmission/

Thanks for the comments.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only other thing I've heard is that the white color option - that's not a clear coat paint and it comes off easily. Sorta like the old Chevy hoods in the late 80's early 90's - people complain, Toyota isn't doing anything about it. I'd probably look elsewhere for a color. Might be BS - don't know but I've seen it mentioned more than once.

Me

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The only other thing I've heard is that the white color option - that's not a clear coat paint and it comes off easily. Sorta like the old Chevy hoods in the late 80's early 90's - people complain, Toyota isn't doing anything about it. I'd probably look elsewhere for a color. Might be BS - don't know but I've seen it mentioned more than once.

That's strange! That would have been my 1st choice with Silver second. I had a friend with one of those late 80's white Chevy's. It was BAD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a silver or grey color as well. I like the lighter stuff - mostly because I hate washing.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a 2020 in silver - no issues. It is my third in 16 years. Too high tech with all the b.s. lane departure, auto slowing in cruise but I've learned to turn most of it off.
The auto rear sliding window is unnecessary - just something else to go wrong. But all in all maybe my last truck for the "duration".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a new 2022, doesn’t seem to hunt for gears. I’m getting 22 mpg with 265/70-17 AT tires at 27lbs air pressure. Door pressure calls for 29lbs air and air pressure calculator for new size tires call for 26lbs.

Rides and drives pretty dang good.

So far so good but I haven’t driven it too much yet.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/25/22.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is no other midsize truck option that will be more reliable .

I would rather have the made in Japan 4Runner. I have owned 3 Tacomas 2006,2011 and 2014. All 4 wheel drives 2 Auto 1 6 speed. Best of the bunch was the 2014 and sold it and ended up with a Tundra.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks for that. Just picked up a my new SR 4WD on Wednesday.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I have a new 2022, doesn’t seem to hunt for gears. I’m getting 22 mpg with 265/70-17 AT tires at 27lbs air pressure. Door pressure calls for 29lbs air and air pressure calculator for new size tires call for 26lbs.

I know they've done a lot of work on the tune for the trans - likely the hunt was early 3g? Also the Taco has AI and will "learn" how you drive and adjust accordingly on the gears I guess.

IIRC - that's stock tire size but different brand you did - correct?

Me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tagged.

I too am looking at them, however having a hard time giving my Ram 2500 diesel up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son used gen 2, 4x4, manual, for several years for work, running 150 to 200 mi per day, then bought a gen 3, about the same all around, no issues, but a tiny bit better mileage but noticeably less power. Gave it to his wife, bought a full size Ford F250 4x4 (helluva fleet buy thru work) last fall and is getting close to 17 mpg in mountainous country. Tows cargo trailer occasionally with confidence now and only lost about 1.5 mpg. But, Ford body shaking apart, and auto 4x4 feature has failed twice, and windshield broke on its own from stress twice. Power windows are doomed to failure from dust accumulation, just a matter of when.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know they've done a lot of work on the tune for the trans - likely the hunt was early 3g? Also the Taco has AI and will "learn" how you drive and adjust accordingly on the gears I guess.

IIRC - that's stock tire size but different brand you did - correct?

No, its one size up from stock hence the reason I did the pressure calculator. I only run Pmetric off-road on light vehicles because they flex more and are more comfortable over bumps. Sometimes maybe an XL Metric.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/26/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
10-4 thanks

Me

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My son used gen 2, 4x4, manual, for several years for work, running 150 to 200 mi per day, then bought a gen 3, about the same all around, no issues, but a tiny bit better mileage but noticeably less power. Gave it to his wife, bought a full size Ford F250 4x4 (helluva fleet buy thru work) last fall and is getting close to 17 mpg in mountainous country. Tows cargo trailer occasionally with confidence now and only lost about 1.5 mpg. But, Ford body shaking apart, and auto 4x4 feature has failed twice, and windshield broke on its own from stress twice. Power windows are doomed to failure from dust accumulation, just a matter of when.

In other words, he wishes he'd stuck with the Tacoma?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, I took my 2022 through the Hills today. It really didn’t do that gear hunt thing folk talk about. Additionally, there is a button marked “ETC Power” does make steeps stuff feel much better. I guess it reprograms shift points?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2020 and like the truck
Very easy to turn 6th and 5th gear off as that’s what I Usually do due to our driving conditions

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gen 3: a truck designed for folks who don't do truck-like things.

Boring mini-van v6 engines that get dog sht fuel economy, oftentimes worse than half ton pick ups.

Rear leaf spring packs that can't even handle more than 500 lbs of stuff.

Just like every generation of tacomas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has its place. It can bring a washer home from lowes, bring deer corn to the property, fetch water at the spring, and hold one of these. “Truck” things is subjective.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It can get me here:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/7005-monjeau-peak.html

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/28/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m new to Tacomas but I believe it will work, or work for my needs, until it doesn’t. Just like any other tool.

Its up to the individual to buy the proper tool for their particular job.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’d be cheaper to buy a Prius and a 3’x5’ trailer to pull behind it. Think of all the fuel savings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can’t get where I need to go with 2 wheel drive. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? you don't have boots?...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My '21 used to hunt for gears. I press the "ETC POWER" button and it no longer does so.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What? you don't have boots?...

Thats how I get to the best places

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can’t get where I need to go with 2 wheel drive. grin
Not even front wheel drive?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Front Wheel drive is formidable but I gotsta have that ground clearance.

So, potential issue I have right now is these damn General grabbers in 265/70-17 are 11” wide, way more beefy than specs show. The stock Firestone 265/65-17 are exactly what it specs out at 10.4” wide. The Generals say the same but thats Bull Scat !

I have 1/4” clearance from my nearest suspension components which probably is ok but will look at getting 245/75’s or 255/75 this week if the tire shop honors their satisfaction guarantee.

I could go offset or spacers but I don’t like putting extra stress on bearings are components.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taco's are more than enough truck, for those that buy Taco's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like people that shoot "deer at 400 yards all day long" - people vastly over estimate the weight and work they ask of their truck on a day to day basis.

Lots of guys out there with a dead deer, a cooler, rifle case and 2 bags of hunting clothes in the bed bragging on their diesel's payload. 75% of those with a 1/2 ton will never see more than 700lbs in the bed or 4k behind it.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, potential issue I have right now is these damn General grabbers in 265/70-17 are 11” wide, way more beefy than specs show. The stock Firestone 265/65-17 are exactly what it specs out at 10.4” wide. The Generals say the same but thats Bull Scat !

I have 1/4” clearance from my nearest suspension components which probably is ok but will look at getting 245/75’s or 255/75 this week if the tire shop honors their satisfaction guarantee.

I could go offset or spacers but I don’t like putting extra stress on bearings are components.

I'd just get a set of 8-10mm spacers that slip over the lugs. Had to do that on a Tacoma when the new steel wheels were causing brake interference. Never had a problem out of them, and I highly doubt 3/8" of extension is going to hurt the bearings.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads
Taco's are more than enough truck, for those that buy Taco's.

Some of you guys are under the mistaken assumption its my only truck. It has a place just like my side by side or 3500

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/29/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I considered it but probably will just change tires, or do nothing.

Originally Posted by JPro

I'd just get a set of 8-10mm spacers that slip over the lugs. Had to do that on a Tacoma when the new steel wheels were causing brake interference. Never had a problem out of them, and I highly doubt 3/8" of extension is going to hurt the bearings.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Gen 3: a truck designed for folks who don't do truck-like things.

Boring mini-van v6 engines that get dog sht fuel economy, oftentimes worse than half ton pick ups.

Rear leaf spring packs that can't even handle more than 500 lbs of stuff.

Just like every generation of tacomas.

Lot's of truth there. I've always been amazed Toyota can't come up with a small 4wd truck that gets over 25 mpg.

I'm a General Contractor - I don't especially like trucks. I have one because once in a while I need to pick up some stuff for my guys, and 4WD and good ground clearance is critical on most of my build sites. Otherwise I'd sooner have a small SUV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason. The extra torque on the low end would help the transmission be less prone to shifting so much. Torquey turbo engines more easily push through gearing situations that would prompt a downshift in an naturally-aspirated small displacement engine. If a 5500lb turbo F150 4x4 can average 22-23mpg, a compact Toyota sure should be able to beat that.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can’t say I’m dissatisfied with the new Taco other than all of the electronic chit. It goes over the terrains smoothly that a Jeep and other trucks knock your dental work loose.

I’m keeping my General Grabber ATx’s, the more you look at them the more technologically you see. They also don’t hold stones for some reason and 2wd goes up stuff I definitely needed 4 high in my GMC. They do have something called “Comfort Balance”, if that is contributing to the better ride, I don’t know. The tire literally has what looks like a cap on it about 3 1/2” down the sidewall and adds over 1/2” to the tire width in that area with outer and inner combined, not just extended lugs either.

So far, so good.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/12/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can’t say I’m dissatisfied with the new Taco other than all of the electronic chit. It goes over the terrains smoothly that a Jeep and other trucks knock your dental work loose.

I’m keeping my General Grabber ATx’s, the more you look at them the more technologically you see. They also don’t hold stones for some reason and 2wd goes up stuff I definitely needed 4 high in my GMC. They do have something called “Comfort Balance”, if that is contributing to the better ride, I don’t know. The tire literally has what looks like a cap on it about 3 1/2” down the sidewall and adds over 1/2” to the tire width in that area with outer and inner combined, not just extended lugs either.

So far, so good.

Interesting on the tires. I've heard a ton of good things about the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts as well. Much quieter than you'd think I guess.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had Baja Boss AT on my GMC that bit the dust. They are the best mix between MT and AT but they picked up rocks more for some reason even though the spacing is larger. I lost the tires on trade in and just received my prepaid rebate Visa yesterday.

They rode darned good but I can’t do an apples to apples comparison because they are different trucks. They were the exact same size as the Generals on my tacoma though. The generals are built better where it counts.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/12/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason. The extra torque on the low end would help the transmission be less prone to shifting so much. Torquey turbo engines more easily push through gearing situations that would prompt a downshift in an naturally-aspirated small displacement engine. If a 5500lb turbo F150 4x4 can average 22-23mpg, a compact Toyota sure should be able to beat that.

You would think that would be the case. Driveline weight is a factor in the lower gas mileage. Toyota is a very conservative company and does things slowly and if it sells they don't try to "FIX" it. They need a 4.0 liter straight line six. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason.
'24s probably will have one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Toyota could get there (24-25mpg) with a turbo inline-4, but they are reluctant to do it for some reason.
'24s probably will have one.

Yep and an EV option with no 6cy or something dumb.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think many of these companies are loosing sight of whats most important to utilitarian off roaders. I’d likely be sitting in a Jeep again if the engine options were more archaic.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think many of these companies are loosing sight of whats most important to utilitarian off roaders. I’d likely be sitting in a Jeep again if the engine options were more archaic.

I've wondered how cost effective making a simple/base Tacoma/Wrangler/Bronco/etc would be for a manufacturer. Minimal electronics, standard transmission, simple/carbed engine, no frills but something anyone (with basic knowledge) could turn a wrench on. It would be a limited market. I'm guessing the cost of getting it into production would be prohibitive, especially since most manufactures are behind on producing current vehicles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I've wondered how cost effective making a simple/base Tacoma/Wrangler/Bronco/etc would be for a manufacturer. Minimal electronics, standard transmission, simple/carbed engine, no frills but something anyone (with basic knowledge) could turn a wrench on. It would be a limited market. I'm guessing the cost of getting it into production would be prohibitive, especially since most manufactures are behind on producing current vehicles.

I think the barrier to new carb, minimal electronics is passing EPA. The reason all that crap is on there is so they can pass emissions it seems.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Have to use Injectors , carbs will not pass emission. They need to go with a straight six or maybe even a 5 cal. As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The Taco is probably the closest we can get to that in a new truck. Utilitarian off-roader folks are not a large market segment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Folks that can turn a wrench and want a simple rig don't buy them new.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have to use Injectors , carbs will not pass emission. They need to go with a straight six or maybe even a 5 cal. As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

Tacoma and the Gladiator are the last trucks avail with a stick shift right now.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Tacoma and the Gladiator are the last trucks avail with a stick shift right now.

My oldest Tacoma 2006 was a 6 Spd 4.0 and I could not get better then 15-18 mpg with it and that was a good day. Front had a 1 1/2 inch lift , no other mods.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Have a double cab long bed 2021 with 15K miles. Pretty good little truck, comfortable to drive and is very capable off road with a rear locking diff. I dont have a issue with the transmission hunting, in fact it feels spot on. Better than my wifes 2013 Tahoe..IMO. steering is tight. Power is acceptable and not lacking.
Storage in the cab could be better if Toyota took a lesson from Honda.
Rear seat arrangement in particular is poorly designed as with the seats folded they didn't maximize the platform for space. Rear seats are ok for a couple of kids long distance, full size adults, not so much.

Mileage could be better, I do a lot of around town and 15 to 17 is typical, although for some reason it has improved on my last tank..?
Highway mileage in the 19s, better if I slow down. Full size F150 would do that or better from what I hear.
Towing, I towed a 7000 boat from Valdez to Fairbanks and it did fine using a weight distributing hitch. I didn't plan to do that with that truck, but the boat broke and I decided to give it a go. Kept my speed down, went over Thompson pass about 45 mph at 3/4 throttle about the same as my 96 Ford with a 7.3, in fact mileage was about the same towing that load at 11 mpg.

I hate the autonomous radar cruise control thing, you can turn it off.. each and every time you get in the truck. Some may like it.

I don't care for the push button start, thats a stupid idea. Long story why.

It has this magnificent screen in the dash that tells you all kinds of worthless info, lacking is the gauge screen, things like actual engine temp. Oil pressure and tranny temp. When i was towing that heavy boat I was concerned about the tranny temp, lo and behold, no trans dipstick...!
Unbelievable! Apparently it will let you know if the temperature is high and probably detune the engine. I never had that happen so guess its ok.

Toyota could have easily provided a screen with that info... however I call it a millennial screen.

All new vehicles have some foibles, I bought a Toyota because I think they do build durable and long lasting products and expect it to last me 20 plus years. I still have my F250 for full size needs, but damn glad thats not my daily driver anymore.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As far as the manual transmission that will never happen since Millenials don[t know how to drive them. grin

There is a lot more to it than not knowing how to drive a stick. My 1985 F150 with a 5 speed and granny 1st gear got its torque at 2000 rpm. A 3rd gen Tacoma needs 4500 rpm to develop torque and it has a manual geared more for a sports car than hauling/towing. Even most gas engines in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks need 3500 rpm.

The manuals they are putting in these new vehicles are fun to drive if you're wanting a sports car. But try maneuvering a trailer in a tight spot with one. It is almost impossible to back a trailer with a manual in a Tacoma. The torque converter in an automatic makes this much easier. There isn't any practical reason to buy a manual anymore. Even 18 wheelers are now using automatics.

I have a 2007 Tacoma and hang out over at Tacoma World some. I've never driven a 3rd gen, but according to the chatter over there the 3rd gens made in the last couple of years have worked out the transmission shifting issues and by all accounts are much better. The early 3rd gens were bad about trying to hold higher gears longer and performance suffered.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
The 2021 comes "on the cam" right at 3500 rpm. Pulled heavy trailer up Thompson pass at 4500 rpm, about 45 mph. About the same speed as my 7.3 F250 with foot to the floor most of time. Not saying the taco will out pull a 3/4 truck, but I was rather surprised. And foot was not to the floor with the Toyota.
Most of the newer full size gas trucks like rpm, comparing a 93 F350 with a ZF 5 speed and a 460 to a 2012 F350 with a 6.2.. (I think it was a 6.2). The 460 is a low down and has plenty of grunt, the 6.2 wanted some rpm, and was happy there.
I think people buy tacos cuz they really wanted a BMW, but needed a truck... haha

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
We are never ever going to see a new road vehicle with a carb again. and for good reason. I can work on carbs and they have their place. But I don't miss them on my daily driver. Boats and off road is another story, then the only electronics would be the ignition. Simple is good when you're on your own.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Just picked up my first Taco a few weeks ago. Found a 2022 Silver Sport CCSB Manual and am really liking it so far. I came from a F250 so getting used to the size difference has taken some time, but now I realize how much I really didn’t use my 250 for what it was meant for.

I’m only at 1,500 miles so far but around town I’m averaging 19-19.5 and hwy about 21-22. It’s a fun little truck and I can see myself keeping it for quite sometime.

In my F250 the throttle lag was awful and I ran a pedal commander for 3 years in it and that PC made it feel like a totally different truck. While the lag in the Taco isn’t as bad, I’ll still be adding a PC or Sprint Booster shortly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 95 Tacoma still treats me nice 250k ,4cyl ,5 spd. Run 65 on the highway you get 24-25 mpg . 75-80 21 mpg 2.7l 4 cyl plenty of power and torque for normal offroad getting around. Like it so much I' m gonna bust my ass and find another one for backup. Just like good whiskey and bad women costs less than cheap booze good women and trucks designed for millennial pussies...yeah I said that mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My 95 Tacoma still treats me nice 250k ,4cyl ,5 spd. Run 65 on the highway you get 24-25 mpg . 75-80 21 mpg 2.7l 4 cyl plenty of power and torque for normal offroad getting around. Like it so much I' m gonna bust my ass and find another one for backup. Just like good whiskey and bad women costs less than cheap booze good women and trucks designed for millennial pussies...yeah I said that mb

I loved my 97 - was the same but auto.

Did what I needed and fit in the woods as needed, could basically go down an ATV trail.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had a 2001 ,real nice double cab 4x4 SR5. Ex wife flipped and totaled (flipping automatically totals at that company) it but walked away without a scratch. I miss that truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve noticed every 400 miles I’m having a change in engine performance. If its monitoring how I drive, it has given up !

It will burn rubber taking off now. The suspension feels better now after hauling loads of water. I run 28lbs in my tires. I also returned the general grabbers for toyo.

I’m getting 21mpg hauling 500lbs of water.

I’m installing a front hitch receiver for my modified bumper dumper.

https://bumperdumper.com/

My modification is I separated the toilet seat and moved the seat forward so it lines up to the bucket better when the bucket is inserted all the way. It doesn’t need a damn lid. Its the best fullsized outside on the go dump ever !

For the ladies, I cut a slit in the back of one of them pop-up toilet tents so the receiver can go through to the truck.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/28/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
So I've had a Gen-1 (2000) and have a Gen-2 (2014), but have heard a lot of rumors about problems with the Gen-3 (2016 to present) model. I've been considering getting a new Tacoma (2022 or 23) but was curious what those more in the weeds than me on this have to say - Thanks!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] i will let you know if i have issues but i have only had it for one day. My first Toyota. 2016 with 95000 mile and it is like NIB,

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My son bought a 4wd 2019 Tacoma new, with the 6-speed manual transmission. He's happy with it. Uses it for hunting & general purpose. Moves stuff okay, I borrow it now and again. Towed a 2,000 pound trailer about 800 miles one day. Hauled a couple of loads of gravel and stuff like that. Drives real nice. No issues. 20+ mpg on the open road, about 17 in town.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.