Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m trying to get excited about the moose hunt I’ve had planned for a year now. Deaths in the family and other catastrophes have put a damper on my enthusiasm. My hunting partner had a health emergency and had to drop out on me, he’s still sending camp down for me and got all the groceries together and I’ve talked my dad into going with me. We’re going to make the best of it and hopefully have a good trip. It’ll be good to have an adventure with the old man.

I’ve made some progress getting my clothes and gear together. Still on the fence about which rifle I’m taking, have the 35 Whelen, 270Wby, and a 30/06 all zeroed and waiting with their ammo,, probably end up being a last minute decision.

Hunting a 50”/4 brow tine unit, which I’m not wild about but it’s getting harder to find a 3 tine or any bull unit. Hopefully I’ll see one of the unmistakable over 50” bulls to make that an easy decision.

Dad has no interest in shooting a moose, he’ll buy a wolf tag just in case. I think my trip would be a success if he got one even if I don’t get a chance at a bull.

I bought a couple new pack rods and we’ll both pick up a fishing license. Hopefully we can catch plenty of grayling for suppers.

Good news is our transporter has a very high success rate, he only flys 3 pairs moose hunters a year. So maybe we can keep up the good work.

Less than two weeks until we’re wheels up. Anybody else going?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck. Have done two trips here scoring on the first. Never saw a moose on the second. Hope the quarry falls just yards from camp.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/22/22.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any trip with your father is a good trip. I hope you find a bull and your father a wolf!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You coming up here kid?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am. Reunion tour of sorts. Plan was to hunt with a very good friend but he had an unfortunate accident. He’s still picking us up at the airport and squiring us around before we fly to our jumping off point he just can’t make the hunt.

The whole time I was a resident I never killed a bull bigger than a forkie horn so I’m on a mission to get a big one to go on the mantle.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Luck!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't forget to send us pics. As Skane mentioned, anytime with your Dad is time well spent.

Lost my Dad in 2015. I now spend as much time in the woods with my two sons. Wouldn't trade that for anything. I'm betting your Dad feels the same.

Good luck 👍

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Best of luck to you! How can you NOT have fun in the back country of Alaska?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Any trip with your father is a good trip. I hope you find a bull and your father a wolf!

Amen Scott !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope you have a great time Kid !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good luck kid, take the whelen....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Have a big time with dad and good luck!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
This. My dad is gone now, was mentally gone two years before that. Enjoy your camp time.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Best of luck on this.
And don't forget to post up pics..

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Flying out to Fairwell area on the thirty first, it's also a 50 and 4 area. I normally hunt an any bull area. Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the time with your dad.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m sure dad and I will have a good time once we get away from home and get to the field. After all he’s my favorite hunting partner, or maybe tied with my son but definitely right at the top.

His shoulders are shot and knees too. I’ve decreed that he isn’t to pack anything over about 30lb or maybe a little more. He can tote a backstrap or neck roast while I freight the quarters. I’ve been training to get in packing shape for a while so I should be good to go after we get it broke down. We have a jet sled too in the event we kill one in a semi open area and we can slide the quarters out.

It’s been a while since we’ve been to the area we’re going. We killed a pair of grizzlies out there 12 years or so ago. Dad’s a little bummed that we can’t bear hunt this time since he doesn’t have his resident “guide” anymore. I wish we could too but that’s life.

We’ve arranged to borrow a 22/20ga combo gun so maybe I’ll tag out and we can shoot a sack of ptarmigan for a couple meals too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TheKid;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope that besides the hunt planning all else is going more or less okay with you and your fine family.

We'll look for a spike/2 point moose again locally this fall, but I've not seen one in a few years and none in season for years before that.

As has been already said though, any hunts with family are wonderful cherished events.

The very best luck to you both on a memorable hunt.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m trying to get excited about the moose hunt I’ve had planned for a year now.

I'm excited for you. Have fun!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good luck kid!

I am sure that you will have fun once the stress and pain in the ass parts are over. Seems like I run on 2 hours sleep a night leading up to Moose season, but I love the hunting part of it. There's just always a lot to do.

Here's my only one over 50. Don't really care if I never shoot a big one, but the whole thing is an adventure and I dig that.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

We'll be out doing it again, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Last edited by cwh2; 08/22/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Enjoy your hunt and time with your Pa! That would be a cool trip!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.