Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
That one about 56-58” or so CWH2? Nice bull and I’d be happy with one like him.

The first real moose hunt I went on I was the camp cook on a guided hunt. Outfitter told me to do some calling and they’d check back at lunchtime to see what I’d seen. I had no idea how or what moose calling entailed and thought it was a snipe hunt when he gave me a lantern case and grunted into it and scraped it on a tree.

Imagine me surprise when I called in a 63” bull that looked a lot like yours with the long tines sticking way out. He was snot blowing pissed and thrashed a willow 100 yards away for half an hour while I watched. Of course I wasn’t allowed to shoot since we had a contracted hunter in camp and I watched as he lost interest and melted back into the spruce. He later came back when they went and raked the lantern case on the trees and caught a bullet for his troubles.

I plan on doing some thrashing and maybe some conservative cow calling, we’ll see what the weather is like and what kind of mood they’re in. Maybe I’ll find a dumb one that’s all horned up.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been putting in for a moose tag for 5 years. Have another 25 years to go. Im thinking of a DIY moose hunt to Alaska in 5 years? Guess time will tell. Enjoy your hunt! It sounds like a good adventure and memories to be had, especially with family and friends around.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh Kid, by the way. You Suck....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well if you’d have volunteered to come help pack I’d have taken you with me when my buddy had to cancel. Slacker!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds like a fun trip. Post some pics up. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kid, good luck out there. Time flys since you left those great northern guns goobers. I hope yah grab the 35 Whelen. Any standard medium bore is about the ideal moose gun in my opinion.

I have a hundred .358 250grain a-frame reloading bullets if you want them.

The 63" spread seems to be a common, magic number for a couple guys I built boats for.

An older fella I built an 18 footer for, had a 63 incher come to the brush thrashing.

Needless to say, he had to reload the 300 winchester magnum for another round. The darn monster stayed on the hoof! Wish guys would take my advice and at least load a 220 grainer in the 30 cals, or better yet, grab a dmn medium bore:

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Kid, good luck out there. Time flys since you left those great northern guns goobers. I hope yah grab the 35 Whelen. Any standard medium bore is about the ideal moose gun in my opinion.

I have a hundred .358 250grain a-frame reloading bullets if you want them.

The 63" spread seems to be a common, magic number for a couple guys I built boats for.

An older fella I built an 18 footer for, had a 63 incher come to the brush thrashing.

Needless to say, he had to reload the 300 winchester magnum for another round. The darn monster stayed on the hoof! Wish guys would take my advice and at least load a 220 grainer in the 30 cals, or better yet, grab a dmn medium bore:

Not sure how many times Lonnie shot the big fellow, but it sure didn't go anywhere after it was hit. I'd say his rifle did fine! I follow him on YouTube. What a neat gentleman he seems to be.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well if you’d have volunteered to come help pack I’d have taken you with me when my buddy had to cancel. Slacker!

Words hurt...... grin

I'm gonna have to play the old man card on this one.I quit packing elk out 20 years ago...if you see where I'm going with this....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Way cool video Mainer, that one of your freighters?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good luck Kid I hope you and your dad have a great time. take a lot of pics. for your little man won't be long before he will be big enuff to go

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Trip of a lifetime to share with your Dad. Hope the weather cooperates

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TheKid
That one about 56-58” or so CWH2? Nice bull and I’d be happy with one like him.

Yeah, as I recall he was 57. Good eye!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, I sure ain't. But wish I was. When I go, it'll be a once in a lifetime trip.

Have fun and give us some followup.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kid, hope you have a great trip with your Dad and you both have something to take home. I've probably long ago, got my last moose. Getting up there in age now. All the luck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
A friend and I are headed to Bethel for a drop off moose hunt. Any bull area loaded with moose. I did this hunt in 2019 with another buddy and we killed two great bulls. I did two guided hunts in the NWT, one in 2010, another in 2012. Leave St. Louis on September 9th. I will be 61 on September 1st. Hope I still got what it takes to skin and pack one out.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those two outfits out of Bethel have a great success rate, I’m sure the any bull regulation helps that immensely but still. Are you guys doing a lake or ridge top hunt Scott?
You wouldn’t happen to have any pics of your other bulls you could post can you? I enjoy looking at them and trying to figure width.

Hope you guys have a great hunt and kill a couple big ones close to camp.

My buddy sent me a video yesterday of a 55” or so bull from last year that walked about 30 yards from camp and onto the airstrip. I asked why he didn’t tie him up for me but maybe he’ll be around and closer to 60” this year.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Have a great trip and here’s another vote for the 35 Whelen.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I saw a really good Shiras bull in so. Idaho a couple days ago. I don't have a tag, though. We're limited to 1 of each sex in our lifetimes and I got my bull many years ago.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Enjoy the Hunt and time with your Dad. Time flys, mines been gone since 2012, deer hunting not been the same. Hope you get a big one!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
More of a slough or lake drop off. It was very flat and swampy where we were.I could see some hills in the distance. Not an especially scenic area but loaded with moose.
I think all of Papa Bears planes are on floats. Renfros has a small wheel plane as well as floats. Another outfit in that area is God's Country Aviation. They are all wheel planes and do ridge top hunt. A couple guys from my town went with them 2 years ago and they killed a 75 incher that ended up being number 15 in the world all time. Two other guys are going with them this year.
My bull was near 60" and Toms was 53" or so. Both great bulls. Tom may have posted our bulls pics in late 2019 on Rokslide moose forums. He posts as 'TheGrayRider' if you search.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.