Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have a 2.5 year old wire haired pointing griffon that we bred to a highly recommended stud WPG about 8 weeks ago.

I'm new to this but did make sure we got all the OFA certifications before we bred her. She is certified for hips, elbows, patella, thyroid heart, and I even drive her to SLC to get her vision certified. She's a smart and healthy dog but I haven't hunted with her much mostly due to my health problems. She has really come around though in the last year as I've worked with her more. She has an excellent nose and we haven't been able to hide a bird she couldn't find. She comes from great hunting lines and the stud hunts a bunch.

I've never had a dog that's had pups so this will be a first. What things do I need to be prepared for? We have a 6 foot plastic kiddie pool ready with lots of nesting blankets. Will she likely chew off the cords or will we need to cut them? Do we need a bulb syringe on hand to suction pups? I've delivered human babies but not pups.

Also, we will be giving large discounts to any fire member that can provide a pup with a good hunting home.

Bb

BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Mom will most likely have her motherly instincts kick in and chew the cords. Sometimes though, they can get a little too rough and tug too hard or get too close and cause umbilical hernias. For that reason, we usually try to cut the cords ourselves about an 1 1/2" long. It is okay for mom to eat the sack as it will help her hormones to kick in and get the milk production flowing. Too many will make her sick and throw up though. We tend to let them eat the first sack or two and then try to dispose of the rest if possible. Certainly have something to suction the pups. We use a infant nose bulb sucker. Suck fluid out of the nose and mouth as quickly and as best you can to clear the lungs. We like to have puppy pads close by and use them to stimulate/rub down the pups when they are born and clean them up. A towel could work, but the pads are disposable and it is going to be a bloody, mucus filled mess, believe me! A heating pad with a blanket over top is also helpful so the new pups stay warm. Mom will start labor when her temp drops. It is a good idea to take her temperature regularly as she approaches her date. Once the pups start coming, she should never go an extended period (3-4 Hours would start getting me a little worried) without another one until she is done. Have your vet on standby. Best of luck to you!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck. Just a safe warm environment. Yes bulb to clear airways

Do you know how to diagnose delivery problems ?

AT HOME?

I have two wpgs Pass on to a friend

Last edited by ribka; 08/23/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evenin, any pics of momma & stud? Also need pics of allll pups when they get here. I can't in good conscience get one, 72 yrs this fall. Dog may out live me, who would take care of it as well as me? But I can still dream dam it!!! GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just took her to the vet for an Xray and she's carrying 10 pups. They are do the 31st. I guess I better figure out how to post pics.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks like ribka was right on with his video of how to handle 10 pups. Ten it is.

Bb

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BB, posted this in the main forum but I’ll ask again. Is this the one with the serious gun shy issue? Did that get resolved?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have a whelping box?

If not build one right now!

Notice the rail inside the whelping box to keep the mother from smothering puppies.

Last edited by Reba; 08/26/22.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Burleyboy, how did it turn out?

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
BB, posted this in the main forum but I’ll ask again. Is this the one with the serious gun shy issue? Did that get resolved?

sent pm to you ....if you dont mind....bob

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Questions for the gallery. Can be generic or specific to this breed. Input is appreciated.

(Full disclosure, we're taking one from this litter as a full time family dog and casual bird dog. BB can explain further if he desires regarding the litter. The Stud's pedigree is pretty impressive, even a novice can see.)

Question about "runt of the litter". Would one expect the smallest female to be a small adult? Is that a bad trait? We are not show dog folks for sure.

Prickly pears! What do I need to know?

Just curious, how much are stud fees, I've always just volunteered?

Added. Given the stud's pedigree, might choosing a male from the line be -"best"?

A teaser. The runt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boom- I’m not a breeder, but what I’ve seen:

Runts will typically be smaller as adults than litter mates.

Prickly pears are a type of cactus. 😂

Stud fees as per conversations with a couple breeders (I own a bitch wpg) - equal to the cost of a pup or a pick of the litter.

M or F is totally up to you. You want to deal with heat cycles? Make sure she don’t get knocked up by the dumb azz lab that always gets out? Deal with birthing and raising pups for a few months? Granted, it can be decent compensation considering the cost of pups.

A male you can stud out and simply get a pup when they are ready.

Are you going to test the dog? Penn, OFA, NAVHDA?
If I’m going to lay out cash for a dog, I look for a breeder that hunts a lot. Training hunting dogs is a big one as well. I trust he will do well to further the objectives of the breed and not rely solely on confirmation and pedigree.

Schit to consider.

Good luck with the pup! Love my WPG. She’s been a great dog.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are runts and then there are weak fragile runts. The first can grow into normal size adults. Even if they are on the small size, they still may be the prize of the litter.

The other is a gamble.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
mtnboomer....griffons are a soft dog...at least the 2 I have had....1 at my feet now...tuff as nails in the field but soft when it comes to correction....dont lose your temper with them or yell meanly at them.

good dogs...very loyal ...bob

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks gentlemen. All good inputs. Family's decision is female. Trying to decide which. Really looking forward to it. Think I found a shotgun I need! LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobMt
mtnboomer....griffons are a soft dog...at least the 2 I have had....1 at my feet now...tuff as nails in the field but soft when it comes to correction....dont lose your temper with them or yell meanly at them.

good dogs...very loyal ...bob

yep. Its amazing when the switch flips on in the field

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We made our selection.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap that is a cute pup! congrats

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.