Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a Browning BPCR 45-70 that I set up for WT primitive season. I mounted a VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS on it, had the CDS set up for the 250 gr. TSX at 2,550 fps out to 300 yds.

It will shoot that bullet MOA all the way. Previous owner had done a great trigger job, 2.75#, clean break. He also had a sheet of BP and Duplex loads that I never tried.

I don't have the BP sights, just the Leupold as shown.

Wood is exceptional. I've read that Browning sent Badger barrels and Missouri walnut to Miroku to build these guns and of course, they do great work.

Bore is about mint, gun is 99%, has been a safe queen for quite a while.

I'm asking $1,850 shipped to your FFL. I see these guns selling in the $2K range, most I see listed on line have already been sold.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Beautiful!!!

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Has Leupold screw in lens covers.

Check out those WT and hog slayers. I blew lung tissue out the far chest wall on a young hog. His rib cage had fracture lines radiating out from the exit hole in multiple directions, sorta like a broken glass window. Amazing bullet. And the 2,550 fps is Barnes Marlin load, not the Ruger #1 load, although the 1885 action is stronger than the Marlin, this load was powerful enough for what I was wanting to do. I never clocked it, but it may be faster than that out of the 30" barrel. Barnes data was from a shorter tube. The load is 53 gr. Vv 120 with .05" jump.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gorgeous falling block!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks,

The 1885 is a strong action, maybe not full Ruger #1 strength, but probably pretty close.

Most of these don't have the best trigger. This one does.

Not sure what the previous owner did, but it sure worked.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Beautiful rifle, and very fairly priced.

I have owned a few of these Brownings, and if I were in the market for one like this I would grab it in an instant. Here's why. These Brownings came with a Soule type tang sight. Very cool and correct, but they were made by a contractor for Browning, and not the greatest example of this type sight. The weak point is the leaf spring that functions as a detent. They tend to fatigue and break, and to the best of my knowledge, replacements aren't available.

This particular rifle offers two good options to a buyer. Either keep it with the very nice Leupold scope, or sell the scope and get one of the better tang sights currently on the market. For a Soule I'd go with a Steve Baldwin, MVA or Kelley. My personal preference is the Hoke, which is not a Soule, but a vernier for both windage and elevation. Important to a lefty like me, the Hoke, and I believe the Baldwin, are engraved on both sides. There are several good options for a front globe sight. Baldwin and Shaver are two. Buffalo Arms carries an extensive line of BPCR stuff, including sights.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good thoughts. I’d think the Leupold would bring enough to make a big dent in the cost of a top end tang sight.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Picture from the original owner and seller when I bought it.

Shows wood pretty well.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Fine looking shooting iron there for sure. Beautiful wood on that gun

Think i need a bigger gun
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks,

The 1885 is a strong action, maybe not full Ruger #1 strength, but probably pretty close.

Most of these don't have the best trigger. This one does.

Not sure what the previous owner did, but it sure worked.

DF

There’s a pretty easy way to modify the trigger on these. It involves limiting the sear engagement. My brother did his and mine. No machining is needed.

BTW: that is a really decent price, even more so because of the beautiful wood. I don’t think I’d sell my 1885 45-90 for that!

Last edited by Bugger; 08/24/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ll take it. PM coming your way

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a stunning package.

Congrats on the sale and on the purchase!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congratulations. I was getting weak with good wood 😳

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice! Have a Sharps in 45-90 or I would have jumped too.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sold to one horn.

I think he's gonna like it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Paul39
This particular rifle offers two good options to a buyer. Either keep it with the very nice Leupold scope, or sell the scope and get one of the better tang sights currently on the market. For a Soule I'd go with a Steve Baldwin, MVA or Kelley. My personal preference is the Hoke, which is not a Soule, but a vernier for both windage and elevation. Important to a lefty like me, the Hoke, and I believe the Baldwin, are engraved on both sides. There are several good options for a front globe sight. Baldwin and Shaver are two. Buffalo Arms carries an extensive line of BPCR stuff, including sights.
Or keep the Leupold bases, use the tang sight with globe front and the scope for hunting or load development with the tang sight folded down. One could even replace the Leupold with a higher powered target scope for fine tuning loads.

A purist may not like the looks of those bases, but the tang sight, globe combo should be able to look over them. Or removed the bases, reattach for scope work.

Lots of options.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good to see such a nice rifle- and good load info too. Congrats to buyer and seller both.
Tom

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DF,

Good points. I'd doubt that one could see over the existing modern bases, but if not, they'd be easy to remove or reinstall. I'm not sure, but IIRC such bases are/were hard to find. Browning sold them as an accessory for a time, Browning marked but made by Leupold or Burris. Might have some resale value. As far as looks, one either cares or doesn't. Personal preference.

Another option is a vintage style scope with external adjustments. It would be necessary to drill and tap for bases, but Steve Earle makes a one piece adapter base for vintage mounts that uses the factory Browning base screw holes.

Anyone who owns or is seriously interested in the Browning BPCR should get a copy of The Browning Model 1885 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle by Wayne McClerran "Texas Mac". It's the definitive work on these rifles. Mac posts here occasionally. http://www.texas-mac.com/.

There are various approaches and opinions about the triggers, but the only one I have confidence in is Lee Shaver's trigger job. All of mine have had this done, and have never failed. Nice part is that all you have to do is remove the trigger and send it to Lee. Unlike the normal difficult Browning disassembly, removing the trigger is simple. Just remove the butt stock and drive out a loose cross pin. He regrinds the sear angle and sends a replacement spring. It is not adjustable.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that info, Paul.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.