-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Rugers did have the problem in the mid-1970s. I have two of them - one a .243 Liberty 1B model, with fairly plain wood, and a .375 H&H, from 1977 which has really nice wood. The 375 I will try to save the wood on. Every few months I rinse it with distilled water, then let it dry. Eventually I will seal it, and see how it does.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
It can never be fixed or sealed.

Keep the stock off the rifle until you plan to shoot it.
Put a heavy coat of Spar varnish on all surface the wood touches and the stock thru bolt and washer.

Disassemble after using it and wipe down all metal with boiling water, Dry with hair dryer.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just saw this post, the problem went back further than you think, I owned a No. 1b made in 1970 that had salt wood,
such a shame, the wood was stunning.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Geez. I had no idea this problem affected any Rugers until I saw this thread. I guess I’ve just been lucky with my No.1s.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I also never heard of it until now. Thanks to the internet what was once strictly in the world of personal experience is now part of "hive mentality".

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Saw a superposed once with salt wood, very sad

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
During my tenure in the Browning gunsmithing shop (1978-1982) I replaced hundreds of salt wood stocks spent countless hours laborously draw filing barrels and receivers. There is no fix for sale wood, only use for it is firewood, that's exactly what Browning did they fed it to the plant incinerator. There was a time when the need for replacement stocks far exceeded Belgium's production capacity. The Warsaw, MO stockmaking firms Fajen and Bishop helped keep Browning supplied with replacement wood. As it was there were times when salt wood guns awaiting repair were stacked on pallets and stored in the warehouse until replacement wood could be procured.

Last edited by gunswizard; 10/06/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Were any Ruger #3s affected with salt wood recorded?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just discovered this Ruger salt issue today. Have q No 1 in the shop with corrosion on it. Started googling, ended up here (and a few other threads). This one, like many... Year Of Liberty 1976 ... shame. it's lovely wood

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Just discovered this Ruger salt issue today. Have q No 1 in the shop with corrosion on it. Started googling, ended up here (and a few other threads). This one, like many... Year Of Liberty 1976 ... shame. it's lovely wood

I had a salt wood #1 in 45-70 many years ago. Ruger would clean up, reblue, and restock with no questions asked, free of charge. That was my experience, but that was . . . Wow, had to have been in the early-mid 80’s now that I think about it. My rifle came back with nicer wood than it went out with too! I’d bought it used, and the previous owner had monkeyed with the trigger - they fixed that too.

If it were me, I’d reach out to Ruger, and try to talk to someone.

FWIW-

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 1976 one, need to look at it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not only did Browning screw up with salt wood, in 1976 they made a Bi-centennial commemorative B-78 single shot. It came in a fancy wood case, well no salt wood but getting in a hurry they put the rifles in the cases before that carpenter's white glue that held the linings in place had thoroughly dried. On the long journey across the pond from Japan the lactic acid in the glue outgassed and rusted the crap out of the metal. They brought loads of those rifles into the gunsmith shop on pallets there were that many, case after case of brand new rifles. Every last one had to be disassembled, rust polished out and reblued, I personally worked on that fiasco till I was sick of it. Lotsa problems with Brownings during that time period, the .44 Magnum rifles had assorted problems, same with the BBR and Mitchell Garcia fishing reels, worked on the fishing reels for weeks on end.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Decided to take the stock of that 7x57 at work the other day ... dear lord, there is a LOT of rust inside. Might contact Ruger, but it seems from the several posts around the internet lately, Ruger ain't doing anything about it. Most likely going to take a huge hit on this one if I can find someone who wants it as a project. I'll try and remember to grab some photos this afternoon

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a Browning Safari Grade rifle that suffered from salt wood. I cleaned up the metal as best as possible and varnished the wood. In the end it went down the road.
Mile High Shooter how bad is the rust? Is the metal pitted? I'm curious if the action can be salvaged and turned into something respectable.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
GSP,

Didn't get a chance to grab pics. There's some pretty good damage on the internals. I think it could be salvaged, though. Exterior damage is pretty limited and shallow, that should be easy to repair but it works involve refinishing/rebluing the entire barreled action, plus a new stock obviously. Other than that the guns in great condition

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Replacing the internals could be costly. I'd like to see what it looks like though.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here are some before and after pics. Cleaned up what i could, the tang is chewed up but the small parts look to be fine

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
UpThePole & MileHighShooter: Thank you both for your heads up and your efforts in this regard.
I had NO idea that Ruger #1's suffered this condition.
I am always shopping for my nice Ruger #1's.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It looks salvageable but would take some work to clean and retreat the rusted area's to prevent further damage in the future.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent my Dad's old 1969 4 digit No 1 Ruger He bought new and still had the receipt and they replaced the stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

new stock\

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2HZYpGC.jpg?1[/img]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.