Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As a simple Arkie who has only hunted deer, ducks, and smaller critters around my home state, I’ve always wanted to go on an antelope hunt. How does a fellow go about getting set up to go on a Texas pronghorn hunt?

GB1

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
As a simple Arkie who has only hunted deer, ducks, and smaller critters around my home state, I’ve always wanted to go on an antelope hunt. How does a fellow go about getting set up to go on a Texas pronghorn hunt?
The easiest way is finding a landowner permit and that’s not necessary easy lol, but it’s doable.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by LBP
The easiest way is finding a landowner permit and that’s not necessary easy lol, but it’s doable.

Thanks for the tip. Do these landowner permits get issued through the Texas Game and Fish? I guess they are drawn out in the summer through a lottery system?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pronghorn meat is very good. You just have to get it on ice quickly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks for the tip. Do these landowner permits get issued through the Texas Game and Fish? I guess they are drawn out in the summer through a lottery system?

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by LBP

Your best bet is to google pronghorn huts in the states you would hunt in. Then ask for references and choose one. I am going to CO in early Oct. Two man hunt with guide, lodging and meals a little over $8,000, we will have to buy a non res hunting license when we get there the outfitter provided the landowner antelope tags.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be heading over to Dalhart TX in October for the 3rd time. Booked through Jeremy of Sagebrush hunts who is a member here. The bucks I have taken in the past were some of the best eating game we have ever had.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

No Sir, landowners get permits based upon how much land they own and the annual antelope census done by Texas Parks and Wildlife. The landowners can use the permits, sell them, whatever they decide to do with them.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I'll be heading over to Dalhart TX in October for the 3rd time. Booked through Jeremy of Sagebrush hunts who is a member here. The bucks I have taken in the past were some of the best eating game we have ever had.

A few years ago I deer hunted just North of Dalhart, Rita Blanca on the Oklahoma side. You couldn't hardly see a deer through the clouds of dust kicked up by herds of antelope. They were thicker than ticks. smile

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by skeen

A few years ago I deer hunted just North of Dalhart, Rita Blanca on the Oklahoma side. You couldn't hardly see a deer through the clouds of dust kicked up by herds of antelope. They were thicker than ticks. smile
How was the deer hunting? I’ve heard of people hunting deer there I’ve just not seen many personally.

Last edited by LBP; 08/27/22.

IC B3

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got lucky and found two more permits, looks like my oldest son and daughter-in-law are going goat hunting too. Now if I could just find one more for my youngest son everyone would get to hunt. I’m gonna keep looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

How was the deer hunting? I’ve heard of people hunting deer there I’ve just not seen many personally.

Hey, man, sorry, just saw this. I saw enough deer to keep it interesting (quite a few mule deer does), but not enough to keep me there. Seriously, I couldn't glass in any direction, at any time, without seeing antelope.

After 2.5 days I packed up and moved further east to Optima. Saw lot of deer there, passed up a number of smallish whitetail bucks but never saw one I wanted to shoot.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
No worries Skeen, was all of the area you hunted public land?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

Yes, but, it's quite a patchwork of federal and private lands. Really nice to have onX, some other app, or a good map to navigate it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LBP
I found a landowner tag for a ranch in Deaf Smith county near the New Mexico line. I’m excited to go. I haven’t hunted a pronghorn buck since 2005. The landowner I got the tag from said there are some great goats on the ranch, I’m going to find out.

Anyone else hunting Texas antelope this year?

My dad owned a section just south of there a couple of miles from the state line for a while. The state would offer some landowner tags every two or three years. I kept meaning to get one of the tags, but never did before he sold that place. My dad didn't seem to like them when he owned that place. Evidently antelope love bindweed and would poop the seeds out into his wheat pasture.

Every once in awhile, someone will see an elk or a black bear in that country coming off the caprock to the west of there in New Mexico. When it happens, that gives the farmers at the coffee shop something to talk about for a few months.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

Yes, but, it's quite a patchwork of federal and private lands. Really nice to have onX, some other app, or a good map to navigate it.
Thanks, I might give deer a try too.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Last year. Far north Texas. Land owner tag and hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Last year. Far north Texas. Land owner tag and hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice one Ed!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
That’s a great buck!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good looking Buck!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.