Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm going on a New Foundland caribou and moose hunt in October on a bum ankle and looking for a good pair of trekking poles. I used an aluminum pair from Walmart last year and when I put all my weight on one pole in the process of falling, the pole collapsed and I did a slow fall to the ground. Maybe poles aren't supposed to hold all of my weight which is 225 lbs. Thanks in advance.

I've tried several different poles over the last few years. Most of my hunting is steep and slick ground going up/down mountains. Lots of rocks and wet ground covered with leaves. I put a lot of weight on them, especially when going downhill. Several of the poles either bent or the latches broke. The following have been the best for me. They are strong and light, I've not broken one of them yet. I prefer the feel compared to all the others I've used. ....the downside....they aren't adjustable. In use, they seem stronger to me than any others I've used. Not sure if they have the size you need but the price is right on these:

https://www.backcountry.com/ultimate-direction-fk-carbon-trekking-pole

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been very happy with my Leki and BD poles. And BD's CS is exemplary, in my experience. Some of the best. But they went all in on BLM and will not get any more of my money.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I bought a set at Costco, used them all around Colorado, MT and WY, cheap, light weight and durable. I think they were something like $29. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, I was not easy on them.

I'm assuming they would be the same price at all the Costco's, but the other day the Cascade brand was on sale for $15. Nice poles at $30, for $15 you can't go wrong.

Costco internet price id $53, are you guys getting them cheaper?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Leki, Cascade and a West Mountain maple staff here. I use only a single pole in my dominant hand.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a set at Costco, used them all around Colorado, MT and WY, cheap, light weight and durable. I think they were something like $29. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, I was not easy on them.

I'm assuming they would be the same price at all the Costco's, but the other day the Cascade brand was on sale for $15. Nice poles at $30, for $15 you can't go wrong.

They were $15 even the other day for the Cascade brand in the store. They also had the same Cascade stix that some attachment where you could use them as a selfie stick, but those were $39.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/28/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

$33 in the store here. I bought another pair just to have backups.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm going on a New Foundland caribou and moose hunt in October on a bum ankle and looking for a good pair of trekking poles. I used an aluminum pair from Walmart last year and when I put all my weight on one pole in the process of falling, the pole collapsed and I did a slow fall to the ground. Maybe poles aren't supposed to hold all of my weight which is 225 lbs. Thanks in advance.

I've tried several different poles over the last few years. Most of my hunting is steep and slick ground going up/down mountains. Lots of rocks and wet ground covered with leaves. I put a lot of weight on them, especially when going downhill. Several of the poles either bent or the latches broke. The following have been the best for me. They are strong and light, I've not broken one of them yet. I prefer the feel compared to all the others I've used. ....the downside....they aren't adjustable. In use, they seem stronger to me than any others I've used. Not sure if they have the size you need but the price is right on these:

$37?!

Guess I should get a set of these too. Ultimate Direction sounds like a boy band, but those look like good poles. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is an interesting thread. In the past, if I needed a walking support I just found a suitable stick as needed. And threw it on the ground when I was done. I never carried a fancy trekking pole or staff, but that was in forests where you can find numerous makeshift walking sticks all around you.

Now that I know better, and hunt where there might not be sticks handy, I have been interested in trekking poles. Awhile back I started to follow Skurka and Adventure Alan, and both recommend the Costco poles. Actually, I think Skurka recommends the Black Diamond at the high end or Costco at the other extreme, and to skip everything in between. I thought that was intersting.

I now have poles with twist locks and others with lever locks. And I bought two tents that use trekking poles for setup. I actually like the lever locks better.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
4th,
There's no comparison....every set of twist locks I have owned failed when fully loaded, and every set of levers I've owned (when adjusted correctly) has held.

This is another case where I'm happy to pack the weight because it pays back many fold in climbing efficiency, stability, and then 10x while descending without killing your knees.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

$37?!

Guess I should get a set of these too. Ultimate Direction sounds like a boy band, but those look like good poles. smile

lol @ the boy band. Same "band" had a pair of collapsible, non-adjustable, poles:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/ultim...iOm8tFWWyWC08p3PCS-4QIwPPyhoCBt8QAvD_BwE

I've used those a fair amount and they've worked well. At least they haven't broke. Mixing and matching one of the take down and one of the fixed is something I did a little of last year. Rough places or moving quickly I used both poles. When still hunting. moving slow, and/or on easy ground I liked being able to take one down and attach it to the pack, while using the single fixed pole alone. Using one while still hunting allows me to set my foot down quieter on sticks and dry leaves and just move slower. I didn't do the mix/match enough to have a true opinion on it other than it was nice to do. It's hard to beat the "feel" of the one-piece as they're really strong, light, with a lot of feedback on the ground/terrain...maybe I'm just getting in touch with my inner female teenager?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Lol. Something tells me that ain't it.

I ordered a set of the fixed nsync's.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For the longest time, I used an old set of ski poles that I had purchased at a Yard sale. Unfortunately, I seemed to have lost them in the last major move I had......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm also a happy alpine carbon cork camper.

I can also offer up some advice on not what to get- any of their (Black Diamond) adjustable z- poles. The concept is great, but there is a design flaw somewhere. I broke a pole during the Bob Marshall Open on a stream ford- it's possible any pole would have broken- not sure. Anyways BD graciously sent me a new pair (for some reason they don't have singles????). Six month later during a snowshoe trip my buddy said one of your poles in bent- yup sure enough it was- right at the same spot the other broke. Called BD and that said hmmm- we'll replace it. This time I went with a heavier aluminum pole (but same adjustable z pole design). A year later on a trip I broke one of those- same exact spot. I told them this was the third pair and they all broke in the same spot, so they suggested I go with the alpine carbon corks and so far, so good with these. They've been through some hellacious talus too where I would occasionally jam one between two rocks and put more pressure on the pole than I wanted, but they've held.

Interestingly I have one of the original pairs of carbon z-poles- fixed length though, that I used to use for running and they're still good to go, BUT they don't get subjected to the same abuse as traveling off trail through rock. So unsure if it's all z-poles, or just the adjustable length z ones?????

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
They break/bend at the push button lock hole right? Same for the lekis of the same design.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
it's not actually a button hole, but right where it locks nonetheless

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting! Haven't seen that failure.

Jcm, the backstreet boys showed up and they are everything you said they would be. Crazy light, larger diameter, nice abrasion coating (we'll see how that holds up) and stiff as a prom night prick. i even like the no bs wrist straps, at least in theory, but if that velcro fails they might have to get reworked. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and I look forward to trying them out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cwh2
Interesting! Haven't seen that failure.

Jcm, the backstreet boys showed up and they are everything you said they would be. Crazy light, larger diameter, nice abrasion coating (we'll see how that holds up) and stiff as a prom night prick. i even like the no bs wrist straps, at least in theory, but if that velcro fails they might have to get reworked. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and I look forward to trying them out.

You're very welcome. My favorite in use with nothing else close....but have to live with the not in use size tradeoff.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone tried these? They're pole attached hardware that twist together for shooting stick action. A friend of a friend mentioned them. I grabbed a pair and a deeply discounted set of BD aluminum poles to try it out. Thought it might be of interest. YRMV

https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nashville recommended them in the second reply to this thread.

Originally Posted by Nashville
Leki (micro vario carbons) have served me well for 8+ years now. Still using my original poles regularly though I did introduce a new pair last year solely for extended backcountry hunts, just in case. They have supported up to 350lbs (myself/pack) without failure.

I highly recommend adding the Wiser precisions quick-stiX to any pair of poles you end up with.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.